The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Vaught221
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis 2009

I am looking to make my first Sturgis run in August! I'm planning it out and looking for anyone who can give me advise on anything. (The best rides to take, the best campgrounds, what to be sure and see, or what to not waste my money on) Anything anyone could tell me would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Vaught221; 12-15-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me be the first. Too vague!!
What do you like? A li'l info will go a LONG way to steering you in the right direction. Drink? Don't drink? Loud and rowdy? Quiet and like to ride? Race/Hill climb fan? Late sleeper? Tenter? Moteler? Custom bike nut? Antiquer? Anything but GAY. You're on your own, there.
As you can see, way more than one could post here.
First Sturgis, '72. Born and raised in SoDak. Narrow down "who you are" and "what you like". We can put you on top of "IT".

Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Right on bro, you need to give us more information.

And you would probably get more replies if you post this question in a different category, Road Trips, General HD, Touring, National Events, etc.

Last edited by drfeelgood; 12-15-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

Like Da Gump said, Me personally I don't drink and like to sleep and get up relatively early. We ride 2-350 miles a day and still haven't seen everything. You will need a good pair of boots or some kind of foot wear for riding and walking. Water for the scorching days and Gear for the frigid nights. One morning we left camp, 45*, by 1:00 PM it was 95*, as we left Hill City after sun down it was 55 and continued to drop. Stopped for gas in Deadwood and a couple pulls in, girl with shorts and open toed shoes freezing her a$$ off. Not every day have these wild fluctuations, but just be prepared.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
Like Da Gump said, Me personally I don't drink and like to sleep and get up relatively early. We ride 2-350 miles a day and still haven't seen everything. You will need a good pair of boots or some kind of foot wear for riding and walking. Water for the scorching days and Gear for the frigid nights. One morning we left camp, 45*, by 1:00 PM it was 95*, as we left Hill City after sun down it was 55 and continued to drop. Stopped for gas in Deadwood and a couple pulls in, girl with shorts and open toed shoes freezing her a$$ off. Not every day have these wild fluctuations, but just be prepared.
"Land of Infinite Variety" - State motto, and it certainly is true of the weather.
I have seen 109* AND frost in the same year out there. Brings new meaning to "adjustability".

Old 12-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Juno
Banned

Advice?? Just go bro.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I've stayed at the Elkview Campground off exit 32 on I-90. It's a quiet campgrounds if that's what you want. $20 per nite for tent camping. Always plenty of room. It's six miles from Sturgis.

There are maps everywhere that show all the possible destinations. You get one when you check into most campgrounds.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Rode to Sturgis for the first time 2 years ago, on a V-Rod all the way from Oregon. Put over 4500 miles on my bike in 10 days. It's all about riding!

There are so many options, you can camp, stay in a hotel/motel, rent a house, rent a room.

Me and a buddy shared a hotel room, 45 miles outside Sturgis, at a cost of $200 a night. It was the most expensive trip I have ever taken, due to the hotel cost.

Sorry I can't offer anything more specific, there is just so much to do, you won't be able to do it all with just one trip.

I found alot of infor by just "searching" online. I literally spent 40 to 50 hours looking at different sites and what other people had to say. It was worth every minute.

I would suggest do whatever you can to go. It's something you won't forget.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm going for the first time next year.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
WannaBuy
Cruiser

I went in 2007 and like Frankjake got bent over and paid $200 plus per night at a Hampton Inn in Spearfish. My mistake was booking at the last minute and not doing my homeweork. I plan on going back in 2009 and am already in the process of planning it out. It was a fantastic trip nonetheless and I highly recommend it. Great riding!!

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2009