The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first ride in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

On the plus side, when you get wet you are ON a blow dryer to make drying out faster - just keep riding. I got caught bad last week in the remnants of Gustav and noticed that since my mustache was a little long the water ran right down into my mouth. I sure wasn't thirsty after a short while! Of course, if you have a mustache Peggy, you might not want to mention it here!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Double3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not riding in the rain, but if I get caught in it I get caught.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:35 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate to leave in it for sure, but it's part of riding and a rite of passage for every new rider. Another first behind you. Congrats.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:41 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Remember what happened to the Wicked Witch of the West (no, not the house falling on her sister)? When Dorothy splashed water on the witch an she melted into nothing?

Still gives me the *******! Just sayin'.............

Old 09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Peggy, congrats...if you ever want to know why the rain sticks to your windshield but rolls off your visor, just ask me. I'm an expert on this stuff...

Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
Remember what happened to the Wicked Witch of the West (no, not the house falling on her sister)? When Dorothy splashed water on the witch an she melted into nothing?

Still gives me the *******! Just sayin'.............
LMAO!!! You're insane! Now don't make me release my flying monkeys!

Sorry Peggy, brief hijack only, I promise. Now back to that rain riding...

Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

momma said there would be days like that, just rainy

Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
obonaven
Road Master

I popped my rain cherry today. When I left work it was raining. Not too hard but rain is rain. Like a dummy I had no rain gear with me. By the time I got home I was drenched to the bone. It wasn't too bad once I was soaked. I just worried about all the cagers who forget how to drive in the rain. I kept one eye on the mirrors, one eye to the right of me, (and the other eye straight ahead!)

Now I have a couple of questions for the vets..... I have waterproof boots and I proved it today because when I got home they were filled with water. The water made it's way from the top where the laces are I guess and i drained down to the foot and stayed there. What do you all use to keep your feet dry?

I also ride with a full face which was the most annoying part because the rain stuck to my shield and wiping it with my gloves did not work so well. Is there anything like rainx for plastic shields and goggles?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Spade115
Banned

Originally Posted by obonaventure
I popped my rain cherry today. When I left work it was raining. Not too hard but rain is rain. Like a dummy I had no rain gear with me. By the time I got home I was drenched to the bone. It wasn't too bad once I was soaked. I just worried about all the cagers who forget how to drive in the rain. I kept one eye on the mirrors, one eye to the right of me, (and the other eye straight ahead!)

Now I have a couple of questions for the vets..... I have waterproof boots and I proved it today because when I got home they were filled with water. The water made it's way from the top where the laces are I guess and i drained down to the foot and stayed there. What do you all use to keep your feet dry?

I also ride with a full face which was the most annoying part because the rain stuck to my shield and wiping it with my gloves did not work so well. Is there anything like rainx for plastic shields and goggles?

The last part of it is why I speed in the rain, On my shades at 100 the rain dosnt even seem to touch my glasses and my feet are always dry....until I have to pull over for gas....

Old 09-12-2008, 05:03 PM
pauli
Intermediate

I took my front fender off 2 weeks ago because I liked the way it looked. A couple days later I got stuck in a downpour for 20 miles. There was a giant rooster tail from the front wheel and I was totally soaked. I'm still trying to decide whether to put the fender back on. I like the way it looks but it really sucked getting that wet. And yes my waterproof boots held in the water nicely.

Quick Reply: first ride in the rain