The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first ride in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
hardpill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBreeze521
I rode 140 miles in the rain coming home from black hills in june.

Light rain is no hindrance at all. Moderate rain is OK for 40 or 50 miles then it's the same as heavy rain--just plain bites.
This is very true. very true.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Rain sucks, rode from Pittsburgh to Chicago once in the rain, rain sucks!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pretty much ride year round in Seattle as long as you don't mind 6 mos. of it in the rain lol.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
sjhsc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TheBreeze521
I rode 140 miles in the rain coming home from black hills in june.

Light rain is no hindrance at all. Moderate rain is OK for 40 or 50 miles then it's the same as heavy rain--just plain bites.
I have to disagree with the first part. I'll take a medium to heavy rain over a drizzle. Rode 80 miles in a drizzle with bare arms and at the end the light rain felt like pin ****** on my arms. When the rain got a little heavier it actually felt better. I do agree, rain bites. I've been in it many times, I don't care if I'm dressed for it or not, each time it sucks.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

Peggy, congrats... as a relatively new rider, I appreciate how awesome it is. I got rained on while riding home from a bike night a month or so ago. When I left there was lightning and my first thought was, "if it rains, I'm getting off of this thing." Well, the rain hit, and I just kept going. I don't think I'd seek opportunities to ride in the rain, but I'm thrilled to know I can if I need to!

Keep up the good work!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peggy its good to get rain experience, cause you will get caught. But dont do 100! l.ray

Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
nridge128
Cruiser

Congrates...and you didn't melt. Your no longer just a Fair Weather Rider afraid of getting wet, now go get a rain suit. Rain's OK, just adjust your riding to the enviroment. Now for an old Firefighter drying trick ... when your boots or gloves get wet, stuff them with newspaper. By morning they will be bone dry !

Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

One of my favorite rides in my short 3 years of riding happened on my way from Indianapolis to Terre Haute Indiana at about 5am this past July. I checked the radar before I left and it looked as if I would make it before any rain came through. The whole way over I had the road to myself and all I could see up ahead was lightning flashes about every 5 to 10 seconds. It was so cool and all I could think about was how I could stay on this ride forever. I got about 20mi out and it started pouring. I slowed from 75 to about 10 mph. It was raining so hard, semis were pulling off on to the shoulder. I made to an exit about 15 miles out and pulled into a gas station. I waited for about 45 min for the rain to let up a bit, and go back on the road. I got a butt chewing from my commander for even trying to ride when the forecast called for strong storms, but it was worth it. Plus every time he walked out of his office that weekend, I could hear him step in the puddle of water that was soaked in to his carpet from me standing there for 10 min. Hey, its suppose to rain all weekend, I may ride again this time?!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:58 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a fair weather rider as best I can but have been caught several times this summer. Last week was the worse when we rode 260 miles in the rain on the way to Milwaukee. When we got up it was raining and it never stopped until long after we were asleep. For the most part it was light rain, but we did deal with a few downpours. No rain gear keeps you dry for 8 hours and my luggage leaked too. Next time I'm wrapping it in a garbage bag. I had one in the luggage, but didn't use it.

I definately prefer dry weather. My bike is still filthy

Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always say, if you only ride when it's 75 degrees and sunny, you won't ride much. I know a couple of people who've owned bikes for years and never been caught in the rain or out after dark. Some day they're gonna get caught in bad weather or late hours and be totally unprepared for it. Experience pays off.

Quick Reply: first ride in the rain