The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

If ya can't locate pure Nitrogen it seems to me the best thing to do is run synthetic air so as to remove any impurities from the inside of your tires.

http://www.cryo-logix.com/Synthetic%20Air.htm

Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership put nitrogen in my cage tires. I don't see the need to put it in my bike as I always thought nitrogen was just a gimmick scam to get you to keep coming back to the service department.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I go down to the local jail on Monday morning before they empty out the DUI breath analyzer and have them put that air into my portable air tank. Then I take the portable tank home and use it to air up my tires. The alcohol that's mixed in with the air makes it lighter, and it also keeps the inside of my tubes clean.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Y'all need Australian air. Being from down under, it's stickier so it doesn't just float off the planet. The sticky property allows for better cornering, better traction, and less need to check your tires.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use natural gas. It can really smoke those tires in the right situation!

Old 12-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Juno
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I only use Harley Davidson certified air.

Comes in summer and winter blends, made in the USA, and it won't void your warranty.

Damn $500 a can for a Sporty. I wonder if it's more expensive for my Street Bob? That's all I want for Christmas.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:00 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by RockerMike
I have nitrogen in my car tires. The car runs much smoother and handles turn much better. The tire pressure also stays at the suggested level for a much longer period. When tires are at the appropriate pressure, they wear better and offer greater gas millage. The reason it is better than air is because the molecules are larger. Here is a pdf explaining the weight and size of nitrogen versus air.

www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf
B.S.! The air your breathing contains 80% nitrogen! 18% oxygen and 2% other stuff.
So theoretically only 20% of the volume in the tire will be affected, and the amount that 20% will be affected by larger molecules is so miniscule its not even worth talking about. When was the last time you looked at a nitrogen molecule side by side an oxygen molecule? If by some weird chance you were riding your motorcycle at extreme elevation changes i.e. 0-10000ft. without checking your tire pressures, you MAY see a difference.
If you NEED Nitrogen in your tires because you never check them, then do you run synthetic so you never have to change your oil? Makes about the same amount of sense. I would say if you NEED nitrogen in your tires, you NEED a brain transplant to go along with it.
OBTW It doesnt inprove your ride, or inprove gas milage, it's a gimmick that tire stores are selling to suckers. JMHO

Last edited by 1Coastie; 12-19-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

we stopped running nitrogen the year we took the nard drag champions. think what you want about nitrogen but its bigger molecules add rotational mass which means lower times at the tracks.

helium is much lighter but you'll have to get it at a shop thats certified to install it because of epa limitations.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:48 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmm.......when they install your tires with the intent of filling them with nitrogen, do they first mount the tire and seat it, then do a complete vac of the tire so they can then refill it with nothing but nitrogen?
What a crock! LOL

Old 12-21-2008, 11:35 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

You can only get 95 to 98% purity and that is all you need according to the industry. Any thing more is of no additional benefit. The bigger molecule does leak through the innerliner at a slower rate, about 2/3rds slower, so the benefit is more consistant tire pressure which leads to improved tire life and better fuel mileage. Also nitrogen is not as affected by temperature changes, again more consistant tire pressure. I don't use it. I get my tires checked once a month when I get an oil change. My tire pressure stays consistant enough for me. But if you have a tire business in my territory, I can sell you a Nitrogen generator and if you sell it, it will generate revenue for your business. Nitrogen is no BS, its just a matter of if you want it or not.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen