The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many read the story before posting a comment?
Yes: I read the story before posting.
84.88%
No: I responded to the title of the thread.
15.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a "Biker"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

By the story I am, but.....

I've given up on "labels". I ride when when the weather is good....I'm tired of getting beat up by crappy weather. If I get caught in it, fine...but I don't willingly head out into it.

All I know is I like motorcycles alot, and am blessed to have a nice one that I really like.

~Joe

Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 AM
BIK88CHK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I read the story...........I have walked into many gas stations and had the girl smile and tell the guy behind me he has a nice bike. The look of confusion on his face is enough to make you laugh. But silently I think - thanks - yes your right - I love my bike.

I had a lady figure out it was my bike and wanted photo's - like I was a statue at some park for her kids to sit next to and "smile". Then her turn - as she looks at me and says - "I can not believe you are a biker.???!!! Ever get hurt? Ever get scared?" Yes - Yes - Yes (now)...........get away from me.!!!!!!!!!

So - for a girl biker - it is a different ride. My bike is therapy. My bike gets cleaned as much if not more than my house. I love the people I have met - I love the roads I have taken that I may not have - had I not been on a bike.

I live in an up scale community (I guess - if standards were to apply) but grew up poor in a trailer with awesome parents who had 5 boys before they got me. Then my Dad got more than he bargained for.

Two years ago - when I pulled into my neighborhood - everyone staired. The ladies and men. Tupperware party invites stopped. Few kids had to stop coming to my home. A group of these women came down at Halloween - with there kids - dressed as "Women bikers" - bold color streaks in their hair - tattoo shirts - stick on piercings, wanting pictures next to my bike.

To those women - I will say proudly - and boldly - that I am a biker. I have met the best people and the worst on the road. Like you do everywhere - I suppose..........I don't need your tupperware, your kids or your scorned looks.

I did it for me - and - the one thing I can gaurantee - when you see me leave - I have a smile on my face and I will be back way later than I expected. Loved the story............Thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 AM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIK88CHK
I read the story...........I have walked into many gas stations and had the girl smile and tell the guy behind me he has a nice bike. The look of confusion on his face is enough to make you laugh. But silently I think - thanks - yes your right - I love my bike.

I had a lady figure out it was my bike and wanted photo's - like I was a statue at some park for her kids to sit next to and "smile". Then her turn - as she looks at me and says - "I can not believe you are a biker.???!!! Ever get hurt? Ever get scared?" Yes - Yes - Yes (now)...........get away from me.!!!!!!!!!

So - for a girl biker - it is a different ride. My bike is therapy. My bike gets cleaned as much if not more than my house. I love the people I have met - I love the roads I have taken that I may not have - had I not been on a bike.

I live in an up scale community (I guess - if standards were to apply) but grew up poor in a trailer with awesome parents who had 5 boys before they got me. Then my Dad got more than he bargained for.

Two years ago - when I pulled into my neighborhood - everyone staired. The ladies and men. Tupperware party invites stopped. Few kids had to stop coming to my home. A group of these women came down at Halloween - with there kids - dressed as "Women bikers" - bold color streaks in their hair - tattoo shirts - stick on piercings, wanting pictures next to my bike.

To those women - I will say proudly - and boldly - that I am a biker. I have met the best people and the worst on the road. Like you do everywhere - I suppose..........I don't need your tupperware, your kids or your scorned looks.

I did it for me - and - the one thing I can gaurantee - when you see me leave - I have a smile on my face and I will be back way later than I expected. Loved the story............Thanks.
Good for you!...
Mama rides a big ol RoadKing.. she loves it and the looks when we walk out and I get on my Custom.. and SHE gets on that Big ol King...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:50 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by papadop88
This is what I got most from the article...

"Real bikers are all members of a kinship with no concern for status or
wealth. Instead, they have a "Live and Let Live" philosophy, while still
watching each others' backs."
+1 Well Said!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,492 Likes on 8,450 Posts

OK, when your in your boat on the lake, your a boater. When your on your ski's on the slope, your a skier. When your on your couch watchin TV, your a couch tater.
When your on your bike, your a biker. It all comes down to the biker image. It's all in your head. You may wanna appear to be a 1%er, but your not. You may wanna appear to be a badass, but face it, really your not. 90% of the folks on this forum are just motorcyclist's (bikers) while they ride there Harleys. Shields up, flame on if you must.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by papadop88
This is what I got most from the article...

"Real bikers are all members of a kinship with no concern for status or
wealth. Instead, they have a "Live and Let Live" philosophy, while still
watching each others' backs."

As do boaters, skiers, and couch taters. Right?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
OK, when your in your boat on the lake, your a boater. When your on your ski's on the slope, your a skier. When your on your couch watchin TV, your a couch tater.
When your on your bike, your a biker. It all comes down to the biker image. It's all in your head. You may wanna appear to be a 1%er, but your not. You may wanna appear to be a badass, but face it, really your not. 90% of the folks on this forum are just motorcyclist's (bikers) while they ride there Harleys. Shields up, flame on if you must.
Yeah but the others don't define you like being a biker does nor do they impart the kinship of the biker community. I have always owned a boat and gone on many boating get togethers and sailing trips. I have been a skier, but the skiing community is different as is the boating community. Being a biker is being part of a brotherhood. I can't say the same for being a boater or skier.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FX4
Yeah but the others don't define you like being a biker does nor do they impart the kinship of the biker community. I have always owned a boat and gone on many boating get togethers and sailing trips. I have been a skier, but the skiing community is different as is the boating community. Being a biker is being part of a brotherhood. I can't say the same for being a boater or skier.
I guess I live in the wrong part of the country, because I don't understand what you mean by: kinship of the biker community. I am from Manatee County
Fl. just north of you. I have had boats, & bikes all my life. I have ran out of gas in the Gulf of Mexico, on a 16' tri hull. (not to smart) darkness coming on and was towed in by a little sail boat. That guy wasn't gonna leave us out there for nottin. I think there is a boater brotherhood.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
miketami
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first paint brush back in 76, have owned several since then. Artist brushes, 4" wide, hoarse hair brushes. And I remeber my excietment when they came out with those sponge brushes. I think I have owned and painted with them all.

But I aint a painter!

20 pages in and we still have not discovered the true biker.

Yes I read the story, just got boared after 8 pages of comments and thought I would add my own humor!

Not sure if I am a biker, but I will proudly stand up in this forum and declare, my names Mike and I am a bikeaholic.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 PM
haztaz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really doesn't matter what I'm called..... the fact is I just plain love to ride!

Quick Reply: Are you a "Biker"