The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:41 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!

this is obviously something that can't be proven, because if they do indeed prevent an accident, no one is going to be filling out an "Almost" accident report. Being louder does increase awareness. Ever heard that the most intimidating noise is the racking of a pump shotgun? Same concept.....sorta..

Old 02-18-2008, 09:41 PM
jeffbcn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here must be a sound engineer, so correct me if I am wrong. I was told by a student that lower frequency sound is less directional than high frequency, hence pipes do not need to be pointed forward to be heard. I do know, from my own experience that since switching from stock to V & H Slip ons, more cagers move out of my way while lane splitting. A signifigent difference. Besides, they sound friggin' awesome!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
XKROME
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

next time you get cut off by someone changing lanes without looking[:@] pull upalong side them point your finger at them and turn your kill switch off and on once. i bet they pay more attention in the future.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Naz_Man

You know I have always wondered about this also. Maybe with the cages it will save you but I can tell you from a fact that they do not with deer. I seen 3 in a wooded area off to the right side of the road so I slowed way down and as I got right beside them, I'm talking 20 feet from them I came to a stop and pulled in the clutch and banged her wide open a few times and they didn't even move, just stood there looking at me!

Peace Donnie
I know what you mean about the dear Donnie................... Sometimes I'll pull off on the shoulder and talk to them. They never have talked back yet, but sometimes their lips move and ocassionally they snort at me, or stomp their feet. Mostly they just look at me like I'm nuts............... wonder why that is??
Oh yeh, loud pipes don't seem to scare them, but they also don't seem to want to jump out in front of the Harley, like they did my old Honda.

DougJ

Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Reverend, I see your “Point” but eventually your hair will grow longer and cover it up.[sm=smokin.gif]

I think there have been more instances where Loud pipes have saved a life. It’s just another one of the 5 senses we all use to process information.
This thread is sad attempt at trolling. He knows there is no hard data, Just enjoys jerking our chain,being a Reverend andpreaching the self rightous Crud!

Call me and Infadel, pass that along to your "Proud to work alongside members" [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

I drove a car for 18 years, and still do, and rely on my hearing to tell what's around me as well as my sight, and the noise of an engine has more than once alerted me that a bike was in my blind spot.
Why do you think elctric vehicles has beepers on when they move?
Sight covers about 200° without moving your head, hearing covers 360 degrees and can be pretty accurate. Accurate enough, for example, to allow one hit a moving target blindfolded with an air gun.
As for using the horn, as said by someone else, if you can use the horn, it wasn't that close.
The horn must be intentionally operated, the noise of the engine is always there.
Plus: the horn is REALLY loud. Loud pipes are loud enough to be heared, but not so loud to actually cause disturbance, unless you rev up your engine.
BTW: there's a research done in Europe that has demonstrated that the introduction of more and more silent car exhausts has increased the amount of road accidents involving pedestrians crossing the road, who didn't hear the incoming car.
Go search for it, if you are seriously interested (which I doubt).
So, asking to prove what's self-evident qualifies you perfectly, no need to say more.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

In late 06 or early 07 there was a great article in HOG magazine about this. Anyone have a copy lying around? I forwarded my copy to a friend.
Basically it said there is no proof that bikes with loud pipesare in any fewer accidents then quiet bikes. If fact it said a Goldwing is the quietest bike out there and those riders should be dropping like flies if loud pipes save lives. In fact Goldwings have fewer accidents on a per bike ratio then they should. The point of the article was that the guy sitting on the bike makes the most difference as to whether it will be involved in an accident or not.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Arcane

ORIGINAL: Reverend

Wow!! My, my, you ARE a touchy lot tonight..

To answer loads of stuff, firstlyreducing Powered Two Wheeled casualties ismy job over here in the UK so I have a vested interest.

You may have a vested interest in performing your job, but that job is located in the UK not the USA. It seems like you are tryingto use the Forum as a pulpit to educate the unruly Yanks, and you feel that you are the one that would know whats best for us.Rev, you deal with “reducing powered two wheeled casualties” there and we will deal with them as best we can here.If we should need assistance you will be the first one that we will call, but dont hold your breath.

Arcane
Well put, Arcane.
But one other thing to think about:
On second thought, hold your breath Reverand I think you'll look good in blue.[&:]
And besides, then we won't have to listen to your troll talk....

Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 PM
celticgent
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Blaster
In fact Goldwings have fewer accidents on a per bike ratio then they should.
i would imagine the main reason goldwings are hit less is the fact that people do their damndest not to hit them for the fear that the ugly may rub off...

Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM
kev6212
Intermediate

Lower tones are more directional. Someone can determine the location of lower/deeper sound sources betterthan high frequency sources.Same reason ships use low tones for fog horns. Other ships can tell where they are better. On the other hand, it is also the reason police, fire and rescue sirens are high freq. More widespread attention from all sides. Ever noticed while sitting at a light and hearing a siren and you can't tell exactly where it comes from at first?

It has to do with the length of the sound wave. Low tones = long waves = low chance of the same sector of wave hitting both ear drums allowing someone to tell what ear heard the sound first thus determiining the direction of sound.

high tones = short wave lengths...both ears hear the sound almost equally...thus it is harder to determine the direction of the sound....you get the picture? This is what I got from being a science major.

Quick Reply: They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!