The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I wear a watch. I am still alive. I attribute my safety to the fact that I wear a watch. Some times, a cager doesn't notice me or the putt putt coming from my exhaust, but the sun catches my watch just right, reflects into their eyes and they move out of my way.

Watches save lives!
How 'bout loud watches for them cloudy days or night riding.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:31 PM
CB5150
Road Master

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

One time at band camp I started choking on a piece of food in the cafeteria and a set of loud pipes came by and performed the Heimlich Maneuver on me...so yeah, loud pipes do save lives!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Anecdotes on this will go on forever; every other guy has had pipes wake some moron up sleeping at the wheel.
How many times have you guys seen people rolling up their WINDOWS when you're approaching them from behind? I bet every one of you have, if you have anything louder than my SE2's.
What do they think we're about to do, jump through their window and rape the wife? Or could it be...could it just be...is it...they heard the PIPES???

Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by exemexer
How 'bout loud watches for them cloudy days or night riding.
No way to rev it, plus, it would make the tech at the Harley dealer nuts, trying to locate the source of that loud ticking noise. For cloudy days or nights, I have a watch that has LED's in it which can light up the face or act as a flashlight (or, Safety Beacon).

https://dakota.webfeatsecurity.com/b...spx?ProdID=78#

Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by CB5150
One time at band camp I started choking on a piece of food in the cafeteria and a set of loud pipes came by and performed the Heimlich Maneuver on me...so yeah, loud pipes do save lives!
A guy driving in front of me suddenly veered off the road. He came to a stop when a tree jumped out in front of him. I pulled up next to the car to see if the guy was OK and realized he was having a heart attack. Knowing that loud pipes saves lives, I started revving my engine. When I saw it wasn't working, I realized I was not making enough noise, so I started revving it more. The poor man still died. I feel so bad. I should have had straight pipes. If I had, that man would still be alive today.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
How many times have you guys seen people rolling up their WINDOWS when you're approaching them from behind? I bet every one of you have, if you have anything louder than my SE2's.
Never seen anyone roll up their window as I approach or pass. V&H Longshots.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I feel so bad. I should have had straight pipes. If I had, that man would still be alive today."

I think to be on the safe side 96" may not make enough noise. Best to up the displacement to a 103" maybe even a 110".

Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man i was riding down this back road one time, as i was coming aroudn a bend i seen that the road was washed out and flooded, i pulled up to the edge of the water, and honked my horn the water didnt even notice me sittign there on my trusty steed, so i adjust my chaps tightened my fingerless gloves and gave the throttle a good twist, and in an instant the water parted and made a clear path right through i made it across the 50 yards of flooded road with out even getting my rubbers wet.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
mr xr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And, they'll get you laid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-ytACeVM0

Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend
Right, cut the bull on this one - prove to me that loud pipes save lives..
As soon as the international community puts quiet sirens on their emergency vehicles, then I will believe that makin' noise doesn't help bikes get a little more attention from brain dead drivers.

Quick Reply: They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!