The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts
Default RE: They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!

ORIGINAL: kev6212

Lower tones are more directional. Someone can determine the location of lower/deeper sound sources betterthan high frequency sources.Same reason ships use low tones for fog horns. Other ships can tell where they are better. On the other hand, it is also the reason police, fire and rescue sirens are high freq. More widespread attention from all sides. Ever noticed while sitting at a light and hearing a siren and you can't tell exactly where it comes from at first?

It has to do with the length of the sound wave. Low tones = long waves = low chance of the same sector of wave hitting both ear drums allowing someone to tell what ear heard the sound first thus determiining the direction of sound.

high tones = short wave lengths...both ears hear the sound almost equally...thus it is harder to determine the direction of the sound....you get the picture? This is what I got from being a science major.
So why is it that when you buy a surround sound system they say you can put the sub woofer anywhere. According to them your ear can't tell where the low tones are coming from.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lower tones are more directional. Someone can determine the location of lower/deeper sound sources betterthan high frequency sources.Same reason ships use low tones for fog horns. Other ships can tell where they are better. On the other hand, it is also the reason police, fire and rescue sirens are high freq. More widespread attention from all sides. Ever noticed while sitting at a light and hearing a siren and you can't tell exactly where it comes from at first?

It has to do with the length of the sound wave. Low tones = long waves = low chance of the same sector of wave hitting both ear drums allowing someone to tell what ear heard the sound first thus determiining the direction of sound.

high tones = short wave lengths...both ears hear the sound almost equally...thus it is harder to determine the direction of the sound....you get the picture? This is what I got from being a science major.

I can't speak for anybody else, but damn it man, I'm impressed.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
kev6212
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the case of the subwoofer thing...since it is in an enclosed area, i.e. a room in the house, the vibrations from the subwoofer reverb off of and through the floor, walls, etc., makes it hard to tell where the subwoofer is. In the open air or on the street...different story. So they are right about placing the subwoofer anywhere.

Sitting in traffic you can almost always tell the direction of that car with the loud bass

Old 02-19-2008, 05:45 PM
mjans20
Intermediate

good time for someone to hear you is when passing a tractor trailer or other large vehicle, or blind cager, when you're getting up beside them and they are going to switch lanes ontop of you, if you somehow get urself in that position, they hopefully will notice you if your noisy enough . .at least it sounds really good echoing on the side of a semi to me at least, if not saving lives.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
jcd15
Cruiser

Last summer I pulled up to a stop light next to a women in an suv(on the phone).
I didn't rev the bike I just let it idle and the woman rolled down her window and said
I can barely hear my call.I shot her a devilish grin ,she then relizes what she said
and ended her phone call.
I suppose that could have saved someones life by getting her off the phone.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
mjans20
Intermediate

jcd15- wow, that is actually a unique answer anulike most, i like it !

Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't BS'g you. It simply doesn't hold up. Sound needs to travel forwards, the listener needs to identify, absorb & react. At 30mph you're travelling at 13 metres every second. Anything over that speed you won't be heard unless the listener has more than three seconds to do all this.
Rev, I think you need to do the math all over again, maybe starting with 1st grade. sound travels 340 meters per second, where do you get the 3 second lag time from? possibly in your head?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 PM
pockets2000
Cruiser

It really works bass ackwards to how you state it. This is why sound systems can and do use subwoofer bass modules. Bass eminates a room by reflecting off of walls and other hard objects in the room. This makes it seem as if the bass is coming from the tiny little speakers. The same holds true with motorcycle exhaust - it has to have something to bounce off of for it to become directional.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
pockets2000
Cruiser

From the BOSE website: Bits of information BOSE sound engineers discovered while researching sound.

Acoustic studies in concert halls began to show that very little sound—approximately 11%—reached you directly. The majority of sound was reflected off the walls, floor and ceiling.

So only 11% of your exhaust is reaching the ears of other drivers without something to reflect sound.
Driving next to someone in heavy traffic = lots of sound reflectors. Driving up to a corner where someone might pull out in front of you no sound reflectors to help you.

HOW SOUND CAN BE USED TO MAKE A CAR RIDE BETTER AND HANDLE BETTER AT THE SAME TIME.

The Bose® suspension system includes a linear electromagnetic motor and power amplifier at each wheel, and a set of control algorithms. This proprietary combination of suspension hardware and control software makes it possible, for the first time, to combine superior comfort and superior control in the same vehicle.
Linear electromagnetic motor
A linear electromagnetic motor is installed at each wheel of a Bose equipped vehicle. Inside the linear electromagnetic motor are magnets and coils of wire. When electrical power is applied to the coils, the motor retracts and extends, creating motion between the wheel and car body.
One of the key advantages of an electromagnetic approach is speed. The linear electromagnetic motor responds quickly enough to counter the effects of bumps and potholes, maintaining a comfortable ride. Additionally, the motor has been designed for maximum strength in a small package, allowing it to put out enough force to prevent the car from rolling and pitching during aggressive driving maneuvers.
Power amplifier
The power amplifier delivers electrical power to the motor in response to signals from the control algorithms. The amplifiers are based on switching amplification technologies pioneered by Dr. Bose at MIT in the early 1960s — technologies that led to the founding of Bose Corporation in 1964.
The regenerative power amplifiers allow power to flow into the linear electromagnetic motor and also allow power to be returned from the motor. For example, when the Bose suspension encounters a pothole, power is used to extend the motor and isolate the vehicle's occupants from the disturbance. On the far side of the pothole, the motor operates as a generator and returns power back through the amplifier. In so doing, the Bose suspension requires less than a third of the power of a typical vehicle's air conditioner system.
Control algorithms
The Bose suspension system is controlled by a set of mathematical algorithms developed over the 24 years of research. These control algorithms operate by observing sensor measurements taken from around the car and sending commands to the power amplifiers installed in each corner of the vehicle. The goal of the control algorithms is to allow the car to glide smoothly over roads and to eliminate roll and pitch during driving.

Cool using sound to make a car ride and handle better. Has nothing to do with loud pipes just really cool technology.

I am a jet engine engineer - GE - had to plug the ecoimagination. We use sound to cancel out sound. Yes sound waves will cancel each other out. This technology is used in the GEnx engine to make it much quieter than previous engines. And also the BERNOULLI'S principle plays into this technology. Before you say this is a fluid dynamics priciple - read on how it applies to aircraft lift. Sound is a fluid dynamic. Bottom line LOUD PIPES DO NOT save lives they just sound cool. This is especially true in the quieter cabins in cars today with a stereo playing at a fairly loud volume - or someone distracted by cell phone conversation.

The only thing that will save your life while riding is the thing on your shoulders and advanced riding skills.

STAY COOL, RIDE HARD, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY LIFE

Old 02-19-2008, 06:42 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not gonna rely on my pipes to save my life. I have loud pipes because I like loud thing and I like to disturb the peace. I'll be the ***-hole in traffic revving his engine and scaring old ladies and kids on the sidewalk when I blast the throttle as I go by. I don't feel anything on this forum should have to be proved to anyone. Everyone has an opinon take um for what they are.
LIVE FAST, DIE FUN!

Quick Reply: They Say Loud Pipes Save Lives - Prove It!!