The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you 99% or 1%

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

99%er here. I ride and hang out with some 1%er's. (from 1 of the big 3). They are all pretty good guys. The 1%er was started by the AMA, there was a riot back in the early years and bikers got a bad wrap over it, the AMA cam out and said that 99% of bike were good law abiding citizens, that left 1%. They were basically saying that if you weren't a member of the AMA and you rode a scoot, then you were an outlaw. It got their embership up that's for sure. for the rest, well, the more organized clubs just claimed to be the other 1% I am a supporter for sure, they are just a group of guys like any other. I know accountants that belong to a 1% club as well as other white collar professionals. And i'm not talking about a wannabe weekend club, i'm talking about one of the big 3. I've been to hog rasts at their clubhouse, good times. Don't beleive everything you see on the tube. If you see one out and about, chat him up. you might be surprised. Just don't judge anyone because they wear their colors.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I got a kick out of the guy who was "tired of these 1% threads"...about 8 pages in...

Once I take off my leathers, chaps, gloves, etc. and walk in- unless I happen to have a Harley T on...you wouldn't know me from any working stiff. But you will NEVER find ANYONE ANYWHERE like me at all...so that makes me...???

OTOH, I've met some really total ******** in the 1% venue - and hung out with others. Problem there is, they're made of people.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 100%.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 AM
speedkills
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I know accountants that belong to a 1% club as well as other white collar professionals. And i'm not talking about a wannabe weekend club, i'm talking about one of the big 3.
here's an innocent question about your comment above, knowing how the fed/cops view them why would a white-collar professional want to be associated with a so-called 'criminal element'--regardless of what the reality of each of those clubs may be? myself being active duty air force; i wouldn't want to risk association with any group that is involved or just accused of being involved in possible criminal activity. Again, not knowing what real 1%'ers do on a day-to-day basis, i am speaking on pure ignorance.

On a side note; my girlfriend's dad is a member of the Fraternal Order of the Eagles (charitable club, kinda like an Elks Lodge), and he had to go meet with New Mexico's 1%'er southern chapter (or something along those lines) for their Eagle Rider's group to get approval to wear the New Mexico rocker on the Eagle's vest. I never really inquired about his experience, but i did over hear him saying to another rider that they only told them to change one little thing on their patch and it would be good to go. I guess one of these days i'm gonna have to ask him about the whole experience.

brian

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkills
here's an innocent question about your comment above, knowing how the fed/cops view them why would a white-collar professional want to be associated with a so-called 'criminal element'--regardless of what the reality of each of those clubs may be? myself being active duty air force; i wouldn't want to risk association with any group that is involved or just accused of being involved in possible criminal activity. Again, not knowing what real 1%'ers do on a day-to-day basis, i am speaking on pure ignorance.

On a side note; my girlfriend's dad is a member of the Fraternal Order of the Eagles (charitable club, kinda like an Elks Lodge), and he had to go meet with New Mexico's 1%'er southern chapter (or something along those lines) for their Eagle Rider's group to get approval to wear the New Mexico rocker on the Eagle's vest. I never really inquired about his experience, but i did over hear him saying to another rider that they only told them to change one little thing on their patch and it would be good to go. I guess one of these days i'm gonna have to ask him about the whole experience.

brian
because, as it has been stated before being a 1% club doesnt mean thta club is criminal. that goes for the big 4 too. your profression has nothing to do with who you hang outwith. a person is going to hang out with and join a club where he fits in and feels comfortable with the individuals invovled. alot of the media portray BS has more to doth with politicing then law, look at some of the events the big 4 have, the powers that be get on the airwaves and start hand wringin that the club is this and that and it needs more police presence and needs road blocks blah blah blah, and mr politician just justified x amount of hours of overtime for x many officers. look at the bulldog bash, perfect example.

but thats just my observation an is worth as much as ya paid for it

Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

here's one to melt yer brain.

1% actually holds 2 definitions in my opinion

1) member of a 1% club
2) cares about the rest of the world 1% of the time

So, you don't have to be in a 1% club to only care about the world 1% of the time.
There are people I know that don't even ride that act like true 1%ers.
There are also people I know that are members of 1% clubs that don't have that 1% tude going.

That's the reason I posted above that I don't care for labels.

Last edited by schumacher; 01-27-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 AM
speedkills
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
because, as it has been stated before being a 1% club doesnt mean thta club is criminal. that goes for the big 4 too. your profression has nothing to do with who you hang outwith. a person is going to hang out with and join a club where he fits in and feels comfortable with the individuals invovled. alot of the media portray BS has more to doth with politicing then law, look at some of the events the big 4 have, the powers that be get on the airwaves and start hand wringin that the club is this and that and it needs more police presence and needs road blocks blah blah blah, and mr politician just justified x amount of hours of overtime for x many officers. look at the bulldog bash, perfect example.

but thats just my observation an is worth as much as ya paid for it
i didn't mean to accuse them of all being criminals... just stating that it seems cop types might be more likely to harass a person associated with them, but that is just my distrust of cops and the government--yes, i am aware i work for them (and am a 'lifer'); but i think being close to the man just makes me distrust them more, haha.

not sure why i didn't think to just do a google search for HA (guess cause it's four in the morning and just got off work); and i see they do a lot of charitable and respectable things; and i definitely applaud them for that

brian

Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 AM
speedkills
Advanced

Originally Posted by schumacher
here's one to melt yer brain.

1% actually holds 2 definitions in my opinion

1) member of a 1% club
2) cares about the rest of the world 1% of the time

So, you don't have to be in a 1% club to only care about the world 1% of the time.
There are people I know that don't even ride that act like true 1%ers.

That's the reason I posted above that I don't care for labels.

well, i guess in some ways all of us military and ex-military folks on here would be 1%'ers in a way... i read somewhere that on average, at any given time, only about 1% of our nation is serving in the military

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkills
i didn't mean to accuse them of all being criminals... just stating that it seems cop types might be more likely to harass a person associated with them, but that is just my distrust of cops and the government--yes, i am aware i work for them (and am a 'lifer'); but i think being close to the man just makes me distrust them more, haha.

not sure why i didn't think to just do a google search for HA (guess cause it's four in the morning and just got off work); and i see they do a lot of charitable and respectable things; and i definitely applaud them for that

brian
thats the thing ALOT of the LEO's the ones you see in there patrol cars get there "biker" educatin from a book in a classroom thats been writtin by the higher ups who get there educatin from dramatizid tales and HBO/Discovery channel. as a result they assume that everything there bosses have told them about 1%ers and Patch Holders is fact. and with the way society has raised everyone into the "never question the government" mentality they continue to ignore all the good Clubs including the Big 4 do for society. now dont get me wrong i am 100% certain that there are a few out of the thousands of PH's and 1%er's that are likely involved in crime, but the ratio of 1%ers involved in crime t othose not involved is probebly very close if not less then the ratio of LEO's involved in crime to those not. *by crime i dotn mean gettig ninto fights speeding etc, talking more about dealing prostitution etc*. regardless of wether we are discussing LEO's, 1%er's, Patch Holders, soldiers, etc etc there will always be an element of "bad apples" and the ratio's of good to bad arnt much differnt if you compare them to each other. but the problem we have in society is, the politicians, the police, the media they home in on a single bad thign commited by a 1%er or Patch holder while ignoring the thousands of good things that community has done for general society. How often do read in the newspapers about one of the Big 4's food drives? charity toy runs? Cancer runs? these are events that are held regularly and raise alot of much needed help for the communitys they take place in but you never here about it.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Shotglass
Advanced

99% RFFR/Nomad

Last edited by Shotglass; 01-27-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: caps