The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2024 | 05:03 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by dmonger
I generally don't ride in the snow due to a lack of experience. But, with my bike being my only transportation, sleeping in my office gets old after a few days. For those of you who actually ride in the snow, got any tips? Is there specific tires you've noticed hold a line better than others? If you don't ride in the snow, I genuinely do not give a single solitary **** about how stupid you may think it is.
Use these: Street Bike Tire Traction Studs

Bolting on a sidecar for the winter would be a good idea.

Last edited by Hulkss; 10-21-2024 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2024 | 05:34 PM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Riders Club Member

You need another bike. Doesn't everyone?

The following 2 users liked this post by Evo-Wes:
Clayjenson (10-21-2024), Highway Handler (Today)
Old 10-21-2024 | 07:06 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Back when I was about 18-19 (1970) I worked at a Chevy dealer. Had a snow storm where half the staff did not show, and damned near none of the women folk. I made it in driving about 18 miles from the country. There was one mechanic who rode his old Harley (sorry, not sure what model) but had a side car on it. He had snowmobile suit on and said he had no problems!!!

The following users liked this post:
Oko (10-21-2024)
Old Yesterday | 07:38 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior

I generally don't ride in the snow due to a lack of experience. But, with my bike being my only transportation, sleeping in my office gets old after a few days. For those of you who actually ride in the snow, got any tips? Is there specific tires you've noticed hold a line better than others? If you don't ride in the snow, I genuinely do not give a single solitary **** about how stupid you may think it is.
Sell it and buy a car.

Old Yesterday | 09:45 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I was raised in Upstate New York.... We got that "lake affect" snow off Lake Ontario. It was more snow than you claim you get.

My uncle was a motor cop and from like October to April his department put a side car on his rig for the winter months... Unfortunately, that is an expensive option, but a good one...

As a teenager, we would wrap the tires on our dirt bikes with a thick wire, cable, rope, and one guy used small diameter rubber hose.... It acted kind of like snow chains on passenger cars... We would have a blast riding through the snow, both on-road and off-road.... Probably not good for commuting on a regular basis on roadways, and at highway speeds..

Another consideration...

Those of us with really nice cars back then, used to store them for the winter to keep the road salt off them. We bought "winter cars". These were cheap, ugly, usually small cars that ran well, had a good heater, and maybe a radio.... nothing else was good about them. They were frequently very rusted on the outside. One of mine had a piece of plywood on the driver side floor so my feet wouldn't go through and/or the snow wouldn't fill the footwell. We would spend (back in 1973-1978) about $100 +/- on them. Some made it through the winter and then went straight to the junk yard... others I used for a couple winters. You could get one and just ride it in the worst weather, if not for the season....

Good luck with your bad weather commuting...

Last edited by hattitude; Yesterday at 09:48 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by hattitude:
BikerPepe` (Yesterday), KK0G (Yesterday), MotoJockey (Today), Oko (Yesterday), Paintslinger16 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:48 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I live in Washington so we don't get a ton of snow. Usually about 3 weeks ish spread out over the course of winter. Some times more, some less. If I was in the North East or Midwest where they get considerably more snow it'd be a different story. We primarily get rain up here.
You must be on the west side? Just guessing, based on that sentence.

I have actually done quite a bit of ice/snow, primarily when I was in Alaska. The difference being that the COLDER THE BETTER when it comes to riding on that ****. I stayed with high performance (softer) tires, and they worked the best. They would blade it smooth, and you could actually get traction when the tires were warmer than the surface.

If you are on the west side, and the snow is primarily wet and sloppy, and you just don't get much, I would go with Continental TKCs. That is what my buddy uses over there, he lives in Yelm and rides year round. The snow rarely accumulates enough where he can't cut through to pavement.

On my side of the Cascades, I just won't even try. We get too much, and it is rarely cold enough to pack down to super cold before they spread metric ton's of Calcium Chloride, and make it way to slick to even hold the thing upright. Not to mention that crap rots your machine in one season.

BikerPepe` (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:19 AM
Ahardcharger
Novice

Thanks for asking this question. I’ve ridden through the winters in eastern Kansas, western Washington State, and northern Virginia on the stock Dunlops that came with the 2014 FLHXS. I’ve personally found that heated gear, extra caution, and keeping a keen eye out for ice patches works well for me.

I rode softails and sporty’s through the snow when I was younger, but I don’t think I’d want to take a trip without a fairing nowadays in the snow.

I recommend meticulously washing the bike to get the road treatment off. I also recommend practicing in the snow before going on a journey.

I hope it goes well for you!

BikerPepe` (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:22 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member

I used to make it a point to ride the first day of the year, every year for probably 5 yrs or so. Was a regular at the "Frosty Bunz" & "1st to Freeze" rides for quite a few yrs as well. Even helped design one of the T's for... I think the 2nd Annual. Always had a blast but that was before I moved out to the sticks. Now it's too far and dangerous just to get to the starting spots and the roads don't get the same care or traffic wear out here. It was a much different story living between the cities of CdA, Id. and Spokane, WA.

Advice... take it slow and easy stopping, starting and cornering and use that rear brake much more than normal riding, as that front wheel can slip out from under you before you know it. It's much easier to keep the bike upright with the rear sliding than the front. Keep an eye out for anything on the road that might put you at any kind of unexpected angle too. Watch those driveway entries and exists for slope corners, especially. If you can't pick up the bike, don't even try snow riding. Also... snowmobile gear is a must, if you've got it. As usual for cold riding, try not to let your muscles stiffen up. Force yourself to stay relaxed and flexible... for obvious reasons.

Buddy I rode with for many of those years studded up some dirtbike tires for that extra bite.

Bar hoppin'...

Last stop...

Had a lot of fun out there but it is dangerous. It's not just you out there and I swear, some folks just forget how to drive in the snow for the first few weeks, at least. If you can do so without too much freezing (warm water/storage), try to wash the bike off after because that crap can build up in all the nooks and crannies faster than you might think and rust parts up fast. Have fun, stay warm and keep the dirty side down

Last edited by BikerPepe`; Yesterday at 11:31 AM.
NorthWestern (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 03:05 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hattitude
I was raised in Upstate New York.... We got that "lake affect" snow off Lake Ontario. It was more snow than you claim you get.

My uncle was a motor cop and from like October to April his department put a side car on his rig for the winter months... Unfortunately, that is an expensive option, but a good one...

As a teenager, we would wrap the tires on our dirt bikes with a thick wire, cable, rope, and one guy used small diameter rubber hose.... It acted kind of like snow chains on passenger cars... We would have a blast riding through the snow, both on-road and off-road.... Probably not good for commuting on a regular basis on roadways, and at highway speeds..

Another consideration...

Those of us with really nice cars back then, used to store them for the winter to keep the road salt off them. We bought "winter cars". These were cheap, ugly, usually small cars that ran well, had a good heater, and maybe a radio.... nothing else was good about them. They were frequently very rusted on the outside. One of mine had a piece of plywood on the driver side floor so my feet wouldn't go through and/or the snow wouldn't fill the footwell. We would spend (back in 1973-1978) about $100 +/- on them. Some made it through the winter and then went straight to the junk yard... others I used for a couple winters. You could get one and just ride it in the worst weather, if not for the season....

Good luck with your bad weather commuting...
fellow upstater , from Watertown originally, most folks ain’t got no clue the amount of snow Syracuse north to Canada gets. Buffalo makes the news more but it’s rare to beat the Tug Hill anywhere but the Rockies.
riding in the “winter” is doable most places, riding in actual snow, a 4x4 can get a little stuck.

hattitude (Yesterday)
Old Today | 04:34 AM
eqcons
Tourer

ride in the snow, got any tips?
Just one. Don't!

The following 2 users liked this post by eqcons:
Highway Handler (Today), Paintslinger16 (Today)

Quick Reply: Snow riding tips