The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley is not supplying parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 06:50 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 895 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog74usa
Not going to bother calling what they call customer service. If this is how they want to treat their life long customers I'm done buying any more new bikes from them. Lots of older low mile bikes around at a great price so I'll be going that route. Can't beat a nice low mile Evo powered bike and parts are all over the place for them. I hate H-D management for what they've done to the brand. Hey, it was nice while it lasted.....
This makes me LOL. So you come on here whining about parts availability but goes on to say I’ll be buying 30-40 year old bikes from now on. SMH what a goof.

Old 10-20-2023, 09:09 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,273 Likes on 3,422 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog74usa
My intention for this post was to inform, not whine for those that were not aware of the parts situation at Harley. As previously stated, we could rely on replacement parts for about 10 years and even more.
@reddog74usa What parts were they?? You still have not told us exactly WHICH PARTS are allegedly no longer available.

This PSA of yours needs a lot more context, and a lot less whining.

The following users liked this post:
FranBunnyFFXII (09-26-2024)
Old 10-21-2023, 10:08 AM
84 Shovel
Cruiser
Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

You guys don't know who Reddog74USA is and should give him a break instead of criticizing him. He's had many of the most significant H-D's made in the last 50 years. Probably why people avoid some forums.

reddog74usa (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 11:19 AM
reddog74usa
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 Shovel
You guys don't know who Reddog74USA is and should give him a break instead of criticizing him. He's had many of the most significant H-D's made in the last 50 years. Probably why people avoid some forums.
Thanks 84 Shovel but ya know how it is, Ya give e'm books and they eat the pages. No worries....

The following 2 users liked this post by reddog74usa:
84 Shovel (10-21-2023), tar_snake (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 04:06 PM
FXRT85
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue with other vehicles, seems intentional.

Old 10-31-2023, 08:04 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,396 Likes on 6,169 Posts

My 95 Dyna keeps shaking the throttle lock screw out of the throttle housing, I've put two on it in the last 2 years. So, I went to the dealership last week to pick up a new one and they are out of them, and the part is on backorder. I asked how long, and he said March 19th. Nearly 6 months for a thumb screw.
Sonsabitches.

Old 11-01-2023, 05:53 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,214 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg
What parts? sometimes "obsolete" parts have been replaced by upgraded parts with a different part number.
Well then they should impart that knowledge to their parts "associates" because it seems that the least knowledgeable people at the dealerships when it come to replacement parts are the people that sell them!

Old 09-19-2024, 06:25 AM
Mark.E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley lost & not found

I live in the UK & dealers are closing down every week. This attitude that HD will not support the older bikes is a total disgrace. They have had your money from parts servicing now you can get lost. This is corporate suicide,do they think that the customer is going to go and buy a £15000-£20000 & then sell it in a few years & go through the same process every couple of years ,think not. The Japanese support their bike industry with spares. So why don't HD is it cost,is it the failing of CO understanding the customer base. Yes. I am sure they could sell of the tooling to a company that would supply older parts & this would be global & HD would take a % so all parties would be happy, and the older bikes would still be on the road.
The other way to look at it sells your bike & don't use HD,& when HD is closing down and they look for answers why. Your customers need to be looked after not forgotten.
Long live my FXDXI 2004.

Old 09-21-2024, 05:07 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,396 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark.E
This is corporate suicide, do they think that the customer is going to go and buy a £15000-£20000 & then sell it in a few years & go through the same process every couple of years ,think not.
Yes, they do think that. And yes, lots of people will and do.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
Hannibal Smith (09-23-2024), Hathaway (09-21-2024), willcasp (09-26-2024)
Old 09-21-2024, 09:40 AM
Hathaway
Cruiser
Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts
Default The New Harley Customer...

A sign of the times. A different class of motorcyclists are becoming the majority of new Harley customers. This new class of riders doesn't know one end of a combination wrench from another. They get over 50, and buy a new Harley. They immediately put it in the shop to have H.D. technicians remove perfectly good exhaust and intake systems. They replace them with 'Squackin' Chicken', or some aftermarket performance parts - just because someone said they needed to, so they can become a "Real" Harley Dude. You know...Harleys have be loud.
They grow chin whiskers and get a tattoo. They're going bald, so they shave their head & get an earing, to be an "Individualist". They have lots of yuppie disposable income, and blow it on their new toy. They "Look and Act correctly", according to the characterization of what a biker should be. They like to see the idealic old Harleys in museums, but don't really respect the working class guy that has to buy or build a used bike on his own, using just his wits and whatever few bucks he can scrape together out of his limited budget.
​He's a pathetic "Wanna be" in their eyes, if he rides a Sportster, or - God forbid - a metric bike. They think you're only a real rider if you own the newest Street Glide or Ultra. You say you rebuilt a used Dyna Glide on a budget? It's not new or shiny enough for them.
That's the new reality. The new customer wants a dash screen for GPS and a Bluetooth setup for their music and communication systems. It's all about fashion - without getting your hands dirty. They all think they HAVE to go to Sturgis, or they're not "Authentic" bikers. They'll sleep in a fancy hotel and eat & drink at the coolest new sportsbar or restaurant, after riding. The one's who say they camp, are mostly owners of toy haulers or motorhomes.
So why should Harley Davidson bother with grizzled, old style riders who own older bikes & like to do their own maintenance? They're getting old and dying out. This new class of customer is much more lucrative for their bottom line...for awhile, anyway.

Tommy C (09-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Harley is not supplying parts