The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you change tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023 | 08:20 PM
nyultra
|
Advanced
Default How often do you change tires?

Some friends change 2 years regardless of miles. What are your thoughts depending on the climate areas where you live.

Old 07-21-2023 | 08:30 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member

When worn…

The following users liked this post:
HD676 (08-04-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 08:36 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

S. Florida. Always when the tread is in the yellow range.

Never gets so old since I ride daily where I am concerned about years going by and the rubber cracking.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (07-24-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 09:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

For me it depends on age and the amount of wear or loss of tread depth.
Get yourself a tire gauge and measure the center of your tire(s).
The "rule of thumb" is to replace them at 3/32nds or less.

The other factor is of course the age of the tire as well as the condition.
Check the manufacture date of your tire---should be a 4-digit number, The first 2 numbers are the week and the last 2 numbers is the year.
Some people recommend replacing the tire at 6 years old, some say 8 years old but keep in mind that when you're checking the tire for a manufacture date you should also be looking for "cracks or splits" in both side walls as for and damage (nails, screw, etc,) that may be in your treads.
Just because a tire is NOT old doesn't mean that it is safe!
I had to replace a tire (actually two front tires) on my wife's 'Vette (due to a side wall "split" at THREE YEARS OLD.

I've know people who ran old tires for years past the recommended replacement window without an issue but is comes down to your judgement (unless you live in a vehicle inspection state), how and where you ride your bike and how safe you want to be.

I have one bike with tube type tires that are now ELEVEN YEARS OLD with less than 1,000 miles on them.
They're still fully inflated and look like new.
I wouldn't hesitate to take the bike for a short occasional short run on a county road BUT there is no way that I would even consider longer trips with sustained freeway speeds in summer heat but it will be getting a "new set of shoes" in the near future.

JMHO (NOT ADVICE), IF a tire looks good (sidewalls and threads) and doesn't leak air pressure I would run it in it's 8th year but IF I was planning a long trip I would seriously consider replacing it due to it's age OR IF the thread depth was at 3/32nds.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 07-21-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2023 | 06:15 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

I used to be able to wear a set of tires out but as I age that’s not the case anymore.
Between work, home, and my aching body I just don’t ride as much as I used to.

These days I replace them when they age out or if they are cracked or damaged.

Old 07-22-2023 | 06:32 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
For me it depends on age and the amount of wear or loss of tread depth.
Get yourself a tire gauge and measure the center of your tire(s).
The "rule of thumb" is to replace them at 3/32nds or less.

The other factor is of course the age of the tire as well as the condition.
Check the manufacture date of your tire---should be a 4-digit number, The first 2 numbers are the week and the last 2 numbers is the year.
Some people recommend replacing the tire at 6 years old, some say 8 years old but keep in mind that when you're checking the tire for a manufacture date you should also be looking for "cracks or splits" in both side walls as for and damage (nails, screw, etc,) that may be in your treads.
Just because a tire is NOT old doesn't mean that it is safe!
I had to replace a tire (actually two front tires) on my wife's 'Vette (due to a side wall "split" at THREE YEARS OLD.

I've know people who ran old tires for years past the recommended replacement window without an issue but is comes down to your judgement (unless you live in a vehicle inspection state), how and where you ride your bike and how safe you want to be.

I have one bike with tube type tires that are now ELEVEN YEARS OLD with less than 1,000 miles on them.
They're still fully inflated and look like new.
I wouldn't hesitate to take the bike for a short occasional short run on a county road BUT there is no way that I would even consider longer trips with sustained freeway speeds in summer heat but it will be getting a "new set of shoes" in the near future.

JMHO (NOT ADVICE), IF a tire looks good (sidewalls and threads) and doesn't leak air pressure I would run it in it's 8th year but IF I was planning a long trip I would seriously consider replacing it due to it's age OR IF the thread depth was at 3/32nds.
When I bought my current bike (95 Dyna) the tires looked to be brand new. Very good tread depth and no dry rot or sidewalk cracks. I rode the bike home from the POs house and could tell that something wasn’t right so I checked them out when I got home. They were pretty hard which caused them to not grip as well as they should. I looked for the manufacture date and these tires didn’t have one so I assume they were made before tire companies started stamping dates on them. I replaced them and the new tires were like night and day.

I also bought an 05 Dyna a few years ago knowing it needed tires but they looked “ok” enough to get the bike home, with only minor cracks in between the treads, so I rode it 20-30 miles to my house.
When I got home I was terrified to see the front tire had damn near shredded. I guess it had sat so long and dried out the tires then when I got them hot running them at 70 mph on the highway they started coming apart. That could’ve been a disaster.

Old 07-24-2023 | 08:54 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

I replace mine when they are worn out or have a nail or cracks in them. I have run pretty old tires without any problems, but first sign of cracks i replace.

Old 07-24-2023 | 09:09 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member

Can only come across bad but I speak regardless. If you’re replacing tires due to age, probably should sell the bike.

They’re not cheap. Honestly, it’s okay, to let it go. I for one expect to sell if that day happens.

God willing I can ride until I have the wherewithal to sell it and find new adventures.

Old 07-26-2023 | 09:12 AM
Tenfive0
Road Captain

No specific time, cause or reason. I keep a watchful eye on my tires. When it seems appropriate to do so I make an executive decision and I change tires when I need to.

Last edited by Tenfive0; 07-26-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2023 | 11:43 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I replace my tires every 18 months. Unless I have a good year and then I change them every year. Lol

On my 2019 FLHTP, my last rear tire lasted me 12,000 miles. I had a another 3000+ moles left before down to 3/32, but with peak riding season for me in July/Aug, I decided to out the new Metzler 888 front and rears on my bike. Now I'm good for another 15k miles.

Quick Reply: How often do you change tires?