The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 11:48 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

Mick, I would be concerned about that helmet if your son is named Luke!
Cardo systems???? Me and my riding buddies have the Cardo's. They have PackTalk Bold and I have the Neo. They worked well on our trip down Route 6 last June. I use mine a lot when riding solo to listen to music. We like them, have had good luck with them. The comm side makes it extremely useful when someone has to stop for gas, ****, or break. Plus we get to give each other crap at times!!

The following users liked this post:
OKMICK (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 11:59 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

This modular is the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. I hated to spend the extra ching, but it was worth it.
Shoei.
Your mileage may vary.

rocket23 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 12:03 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
Mick, FYI. I love my modular and would vote for the Cardo system, although I don't have any experience with other brands.
Modular probably allows better fitment when trying to get it over your hair.

Northern Glide (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 12:21 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

Mick... you can also see a bunch of videos on you tube from Cardo. Yeah they are pro-Cardo, but they do give mucho info on their units.

Old 11-14-2023, 12:26 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Modular probably allows better fitment when trying to get it over your hair.
Hahaha....
Actually, the design is ideal for those that wear glasses. Helmet on first, and then slip your glasses on and shut the lid.

Old 11-14-2023, 02:44 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Mick, the right modular is great. Personally I went with full face for a couple of reasons, but I was on the fence for a while. Gab has a Shoei modular, it's really nice. If you are a smoker or you like to sip a beverage while riding, I'd go that route.

That said, I have @NoRegerts about going with a conventional full face. I even got the transitional visor so I could be like Chris.

I'm also going to get us a cardo system at some point. Maybe for next season

Originally Posted by soft 02
Master Carlos Gracie had like 40 children with like 7 different women's so there are many different Gracie academies. I have not heard of that one but it doesn't mean that it isn't good. Ours is the largest in the world and has the most bjj champions. My professors have trained under some of the best in the world. You wood have to look into the professor in that school and who he trained under. My current professor (a professor is what we call any black belt) got his black belt in Brazil under Cyborg ( formally a beast in the UFC back in the day and switched to training under Brolio Estima another world class bjj beast. For what it's worth has got me in the best shape of my life and at 47 3/4 I'm weighing in at my highschool weight plus more muscle. I do it to keep in shape and to help with my neural plasticity keeping my brain more active. I say go for it but don't be surprised if you can't do more than 2 days a week to start. I have seen young cross fit people in their 20's throw up during a class because of the physical demands.
Got it, makes sense! Didn't realize how the relevance of the Gracie name in the BJJ world. I think I need some more nuero-plasticity in my own life as well but I'm not sure I can take on another time sucker right now. Excuses, excuses.... I know....

Reality is I know I do not enjoy getting my *** kicked

NoRegerts (11-16-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 02:56 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Gracie is to martial arts as Patel is to motels?

Old 11-14-2023, 03:05 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Reality is I know I do not enjoy getting my *** kicked

BTLorys (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 03:33 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Morning all. Hit the scale this morning and hit 240.2 It wood be nice to get into the 230's.
We're the same weight now, plus or minus a couple pounds. I'd like to get under 220, not an easy task.

Old 11-14-2023, 03:39 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Russ and I rode to Spanish Fort, TX. Site of a 1759 battle between the Indians and Spaniards. Very isolated area, we're the only 2 there. Up rides a guy on a Honda 500. Turns out he's Korean. Fascinating guy who related the story of his Father and family escaping the Chinese Communist surge during the Korean War. Proceeds to give us an oral history of his life, children, marital status, etc. Hadn't ridden since he was a kid, kids grown, now divorced, buys the bike 8 weeks ago, yada, yada, yada.

I said all that to say after having served where Koreans were part of NATO combat forces he was without doubt the most talkative Korean I've ever seen. Did I mention he killed the bike twice as he was making his exit? All in all a fascinating encounter.
There were Koreans at the first base I was at for a short time in Vietnam, and they didn't seem very talkative, either. Maybe everybody staying away because they were afraid of them had something to do with that...

OKMICK (11-14-2023)

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.