The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
You’re going to get it road worthy in time for winter?
The sportster can go anytime, though I'd like to check and adjust a few things before I get serious with it. Getting the Ural ready for Audrey, she wants to take it on a short vacation next week. For the destination, it'll get there on a trailer of course, it's too slow for highways. Weather reports don't look good, I think the trails she wants to ride are liable to be mudholes, and it's no good for mud, it's just single wheel drive. Two wheel drive probably sucks for mud, too.

Too bad there's no border crossings where she's going, only 15 or 20 minutes from Canada, be fun to say we rode a Ural to another country. My passport expired anyway.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:49 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

Well, CU finally won again.

Old 10-07-2023, 10:00 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ANIMAL03
Starting watching Miami Vice, plot is campy but the sound track is wicked awesome.
That show changed how they used music in tv shows. I remember being as impressed by the music as by the show when the first episode aired, I hadn't heard that Phil Collins song (in the air tonight?) in the first episode, still like that one. I've been watching it occasionally, on one of the ad supported streaming channels, I only suffer those occasionally. One of the few shows of that era I tried to watch, I didn't watch much tv back then.

Old 10-07-2023, 10:11 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
I never store dry. Ever. Especially gas tanks. Fill them right to the top to reduce condensation, which is bad for vintage bikes. I drain the carbs, but after I've run a strong ratio of Starbrite through them. Then in the Spring I drain the tank, throw that gas in the truck tank, and refill with pure, fresh gas. My bikes always start.

Saw it the other day. It defines tenacity. Holy ****....I fall off a cliff getting my dinner I'll probably drop it.
I store them full, too. I had to replace the gas line before I put it in the trailer and don't remember filling it, obviously forgot to. Blame it on old age. Put a little gas in it today and it fired right up, since it sat in there for a year maybe that was a good thing the carbs were empty. Wouldn't want to do that with the newer bikes (actually this is the newest one) but this thing is ancient tech, could probably sit for 20 years like that and run. I've seen an old bike that did that, an inline 4 Indian that was covered with a patina of rust, but it still worked. Sat outside for enough years the seat, tires and gas line were rotted.

Unreal those animals could fall that far and still get up and run. He might have had a full belly, but I bet that mountain lion was sore for a while. Awesome video.

Old 10-07-2023, 10:31 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LoneBone
You're a better mechanic than me Moldy, but I never store bikes dry. Well, our winters aren't like yours, but I still wouldn't. I believe it's worse for gaskets and o-rings and even metal.

After a month or so if the gas gets that smell, I pump it out and top it off with fresh.
I don't know about that, sounds like you know which end of a wrench to use. I didn't deliberately store the Ural with an empty tank, as I told Bob, don't ask me how I could forget to put gas in it. At least it started right up with some gas and hasn't leaked. I'm pulling the carbs and replacing some gaskets anyway, it had and still has a terrible lean condition, barely runs and backfires badly with a little throttle. I didn't plan on using it this year and was just going to let it sit until I would. That trailer was probably a freezer inside for most of the winter, better than in the garage where warming and freezing cycles would create condensation.

The following users liked this post:
LoneBone (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 10:56 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,616 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
Hello Jack, if you are still conscious.
What the hell does that mean Stan, you Northern Outlaw....

Old 10-07-2023, 11:06 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,616 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Posted this in another forum a couple of weeks ago. Love Panhead, Shovelhead and even Evo Choppers.

...and gas station burritos after 500 miles are awesome, LMAO.....

The following users liked this post:
Tonebender (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 12:22 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Oh man, that's great Jack.
You ai'nt lived till you had that clay mud hit you in the face with no front fender, LOL

Old 10-08-2023, 06:02 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Watching the videos of the latest war, I find it hard to believe Hamas could mount an operation like that without a lot of help. Iran better be careful, I bet Israel is looking for a legitimate excuse to hammer them for this. Could the Palestinians have built thousands of rockets and kept them hidden from Israel? Two nuclear powers fighting conventional, so far, wars, hope nobody does something stupid. Like launch thousands of rockets at Israel...
85 million people voted in a man to the potus, that man should be feeding pigeons in the park.
Yeah something stupid is bound to happen.

Old 10-08-2023, 06:03 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Mornin woods getting my Sunday on. Bbl.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.