The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 01:57 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,298 Likes on 6,041 Posts

Went for a short ride this afternoon. Stopped by Enduro Engineering. Those of you who ride dirt bikes or raced dirt bikes may know of this business. This guy and his dad had a Husqvarna shop back in the early to mid 70's. He started making brush guards for dirt bikes. I helped him find some sources for various parts needed. He took that small start and made a nice little business out of it! Unfortunately for me he was in Indiana at a national enduro event so I couldn't talk with him and reminisce! Cool day, overcast, but dry. Good ride.

Old 09-29-2023, 02:01 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
I can only imagine. As things progress, I will buy a photo booth and rent that out as well. So I can do the wedding, and rent the booth at $200/hr 4hr/min, and make the money back on that quickly.

It's taken me years to get good enough I feel comfortable charging, and I still learn constantly. I am shooting every weekend and trying new thing to constantly get better. These cameras can shoot on AUTO, but you never get the shot you want doing that. I shoot that I control every setting for every shot. It took a long time to get good enough to understand how it all works to get the shot I want. I'm still a beginner in the industry, only having done it a few years.

Funny enough, I have pissed off some of the other local photographers out here by putting out better work. The words of the customers, not me. Then I undercut them to get the contract. So better work for less money is a no brainer for most. I'm also FAA licensed to fly drones, so I'm working with a realtor to do shots for them now too.
The photo booths are cool, we rented with that prints out the single shots, black and white.

I didn't think you were the type of guy to over charge for the sake of over charging, so hope you didn't take it that way I just have been very "hands off" from the wedding so now that we're in the final weeks, all of these fun realizations are setting in

Something else to consider adding to your offerings would be an audio guest book, there's a few companies that rent them out for like $400 but I would imagine as a local service, you could do much better. They are essentially phones, in various styles, retrofitted to be audio guest books. People pick up the phone and are met with a pre-recorded greeting, from the couple or a standard from the company, and then they leave a message for the couple that is later converted and delivered to the couple.

We did one of the online rental services, it was near $400 I think. Our DJ ended up picking up that service and offering it to us for $125 .

Seems to be taking off here, if you're getting into the wedding industry., something you may want to consider. Although, more of an audio guys world I guess.

The following users liked this post:
NoRegerts (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:16 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,533 Likes on 9,783 Posts

Getting to know the UPS guy

Tonebender (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:19 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Our current trend toward a PC military and kinder, gentler ROE demands it. We don't want the enemy to think we're mean.
They knew we were mean and direct confrontation meant casualties when I was in the Army. I'm confident when the poo hits the fan, troops on the ground will say screw kindler and gentler, let's kill these bastards and go home for some sex.

OKMICK (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:21 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
I can only imagine. As things progress, I will buy a photo booth and rent that out as well. So I can do the wedding, and rent the booth at $200/hr 4hr/min, and make the money back on that quickly.

It's taken me years to get good enough I feel comfortable charging, and I still learn constantly. I am shooting every weekend and trying new thing to constantly get better. These cameras can shoot on AUTO, but you never get the shot you want doing that. I shoot that I control every setting for every shot. It took a long time to get good enough to understand how it all works to get the shot I want. I'm still a beginner in the industry, only having done it a few years.

Funny enough, I have pissed off some of the other local photographers out here by putting out better work. The words of the customers, not me. Then I undercut them to get the contract. So better work for less money is a no brainer for most. I'm also FAA licensed to fly drones, so I'm working with a realtor to do shots for them now too.
Having thoughts about a future not carrying a gun and chasing illegals?

NoRegerts (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:26 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Backforty
Sorry to hear about your dogs Rick, trouble is they probably won’t learn .
My 13 year old dog took after a 400 lb black bear, lucky he was faster than her and he ran 😳
Dogs must have the least survival instinct of any animal. I've seen them commit suicide with cars and annoy animals that could easily dismember them.

rocket23 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:42 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Dogs must have the least survival instinct of any animal. I've seen them commit suicide with cars and annoy animals that could easily dismember them.
agreed. They have 5% self preservation instincts and 95% critical thinking.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:29 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Having thoughts about a future not carrying a gun and chasing illegals?
Hold on, Moldy. He's honing his photo skills so he can at some future date publish the most intense, focused, framed and cropped, color saturated crime scene photo coffee table book ever published. Working title? They Had Regerts.

Imold (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 05:04 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Good evening Woodsnitzes. Friday night at the pool with cocktails.

OKMICK (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 05:08 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
Good evening Woodsnitzes. Friday night at the pool with cocktails.

Been mowing grass all evening. Still got more but took a break for dinner. So far behind in my outdoor stuff these days

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.