The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 05:40 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 28,405 Likes on 9,438 Posts

Nope, toaking just fine

Old 09-15-2023, 06:37 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,517 Likes on 6,254 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
@LoneBone What type of warranty does your customer receive? Is there an expected 'standard' in your industry?

I know Russ' work has a warranty that is void once current has passed through the wiring.
Evening Woodrow's....been a long day.

I've worked for this Developer off and on for 25 yrs Mick. We know each other well. There was nothing signed between us.

In most cases bid proposals and contracts are signed. If I don't know you well/they don't know me well there is a certain degree of paperwork.

As far as warranty the blueprints are engineered and STAMPED. His stamp is his guarantee. The concrete co. has an engineer pull a sample off of each truck. In 28 days they break each one in a lab to test projected strength. That is their guarantee. As for me, I can't pour anything until the City has inspected the work and declared it proper and according to plan. They pass my work pre pour, that is my guarantee.

If something went to hell in the middle of all that I guess a Judge would sort it out.....

Couple of pics when we started. I was busy and tired, and forgot to get the last money shot. Oh well, hell, it's just a street, and not very interesting. Got to go back tomorrow and sawcut the entire damn thing.

The following 8 users liked this post by LoneBone:
BTLorys (09-16-2023), Juan L (09-15-2023), nevada72 (09-15-2023), OKMICK (09-15-2023), rocket23 (09-16-2023), Tonebender (09-16-2023), TwiZted Biker (09-15-2023), zal (09-15-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:16 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

Good evening Woods. Another week in the books.
Nice work Jack. How long will it take you to saw cut all that?

The following users liked this post:
LoneBone (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:43 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,282 Likes on 6,028 Posts

Heavy work to be sure! Looks like a good project. I wish the road crews around here would work half as fast as your crew.

LoneBone (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:07 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RKGDCG03
Good evening Woods. Another week in the books.
Nice work Jack. How long will it take you to saw cut all that?
With 2 saws running tomorrow, I should get most of it cut in one day. We'll see.

Had some drama this morning involving women.....

This project is of course adjacent to some houses. The way we come in and bring all our trucks in is pretty close to 4 houses in particular, all younger couples. Lady pulled up to me at the end of the street upset because we started at 4am. I understand, and apologized to her, explaining this was a one time thing. Then this young gal comes up pushing a baby stroller wanted to know who was in charge. Of course all the Mexicans point at me. She tells me how upset she is, we woke up her kids. I apologized. She said "you do know this is against City ordinance starting this early?" Yes ma'am, I understand. I told her if she's that upset call the police. She said I DID, AND THEY WOULDN'T COME DOWN HERE!!! LMAO. I explained to her nicely the Police aren't going to make us stop because the City wants this street in, and again explained this is a one time thing, next street we're doing is away from these houses.

Well, she said, MY HUSBAND IS COMING OVER HERE! All caps because she was excited....

Yes ma'am, I understand, I'll be glad to talk to him.

He comes pulling in, walks up to me kind of bowed up, she's hanging out the window with her cell phone videoing us. It was almost like one of those skits where the mad tough guy walks up and says "look, my wife is watching so I'm pretending to yell at you"......LOL.

First words out of his mouth (while she was filming out of hearing distance)....."look, I want to apologize for my wife coming over here"......

He apologized 3 times for her. I apologized as well for the noise and waking them up, and explained again it was a one time thing. We chatted a bit (while she's still filming) then he shakes my hand and they leave.

Everything worked out in the end.....

The following 3 users liked this post by LoneBone:
BTLorys (09-16-2023), Juan L (09-16-2023), Spartanden (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:48 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,743 Likes on 12,048 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
With 2 saws running tomorrow, I should get most of it cut in one day. We'll see.

Had some drama this morning involving women.....

This project is of course adjacent to some houses. The way we come in and bring all our trucks in is pretty close to 4 houses in particular, all younger couples. Lady pulled up to me at the end of the street upset because we started at 4am. I understand, and apologized to her, explaining this was a one time thing. Then this young gal comes up pushing a baby stroller wanted to know who was in charge. Of course all the Mexicans point at me. She tells me how upset she is, we woke up her kids. I apologized. She said "you do know this is against City ordinance starting this early?" Yes ma'am, I understand. I told her if she's that upset call the police. She said I DID, AND THEY WOULDN'T COME DOWN HERE!!! LMAO. I explained to her nicely the Police aren't going to make us stop because the City wants this street in, and again explained this is a one time thing, next street we're doing is away from these houses.

Well, she said, MY HUSBAND IS COMING OVER HERE! All caps because she was excited....

Yes ma'am, I understand, I'll be glad to talk to him.

He comes pulling in, walks up to me kind of bowed up, she's hanging out the window with her cell phone videoing us. It was almost like one of those skits where the mad tough guy walks up and says "look, my wife is watching so I'm pretending to yell at you"......LOL.

First words out of his mouth (while she was filming out of hearing distance)....."look, I want to apologize for my wife coming over here"......

He apologized 3 times for her. I apologized as well for the noise and waking them up, and explained again it was a one time thing. We chatted a bit (while she's still filming) then he shakes my hand and they leave.

Everything worked out in the end.....
I love this story! That is awesome. I'm glad the dude got it. I would hate to hear that you got pounded by some Poindexter at the behest of his babymomma.

But seriously - congrats on a big pour. I've been on some big ones. Had to manage the conduit - keep it from floating. Big pour like that is quite a sight to behold. My now deceased ex brother in law (great guy - too good for my shitty sister) drove a pumper and we worked a few jobs together. Learned a lot from him rest his soul.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
BTLorys (09-16-2023), LoneBone (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:05 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,915 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Jack, I've done some hard things in my life but I'm sure I'm not stupid enough to walk up to you all posturing and **** when you're trying to get your work done. LOL
The husband was a smart guy.

LoneBone (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:12 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,799 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Jack, did you have any utilities to work around?
Up here, I think the city would ask you to get a noise/time waiver to flash around to people that would complain about noise at out of the ordinary business hours.
ETA: We’re the ladies hot???

Last edited by QC; 09-15-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Last concert of the year out in the country.

The following 4 users liked this post by soft 02:
BTLorys (09-16-2023), Imold (09-16-2023), Juan L (09-16-2023), Spartanden (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 09:55 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
Jack, did you have any utilities to work around?
Up here, I think the city would ask you to get a noise/time waiver to flash around to people that would complain about noise at out of the ordinary business hours.
ETA: We’re the ladies hot???
Evening Greg...

All utilities were buried.

I found out this evening that Karen went all the way to the City Manager raising hell. He called my Developer and told him to proceed at full speed. He called me to pass it on and the street was already poured.

Like I said, I understand hearing loud equipment at 4 am is not the greatest thing. It's a one time inconvenience. In the grand scheme of things it's not a hill you need to hang your cross on. If we were doing it every day for weeks, then yea, I understand Karen getting pissed. One morning? Please.

Lou, she's adorable. Miss Miss is spending the night here, and yea, Strawberry Shortcake is on right now.....

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.