The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 02:35 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonebender
Good morning all. One more day of work. The missus and I am still isolating from each other. I can't be 100% sure I actually had it and gave it to her so in case I did not she does not want to give it to me. She said she seemed to be turning the corner yesterday and I hope that is true. Today is day 5 then the CDC says he does not have to isolate but should wear a mask for another 5 days around people. We all know and the CDC has admitted that masks do not work so how stupid is that to take both positions as matter of policy. She will isolate until she tests negative or 10 days whichever comes first. Hopefully we can move on then, until the next time. Everyone ride safe.
Sometimes I wonder if the CDC brass are like politicians, say what they think people want to hear and don't worry about facts. Masks are very effective if the right kind and worn right, but from what I've seen in the real world, most people don't know how. Homemade cloth masks, what a waste of time. Wearing one over a beard or under your nose, very little protection. Those flat surgical masks are more for other people, don't do a lot for the people wearing them, they don't fit tight enough. My lady friend berates me for not getting booster shots, but she wore a clear face mask because she heard you could get infected if someone's spit got in your eyes. Couldn't convince her the germs just went around it. This whole covid thing has been such a circus I don't trust any company or government agency's advice, and since I've had covid a few times with no major impact, I don't worry about it anymore.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:44 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Garry Sr
Gas station mechanics have cheap boxes and they come and go
I see lots of high end boxes in car dealerships, but in my airline career, Craftsman boxes outnumbered all the other brands put together, even when airline mechanics usually made over twice what a car mechanic did (not anymore). One reason for that was no matter what a box cost, they tended to get damaged in airplane hangars. The company didn't pay for your box, even if someone knocked it over with a company forklift. Mine didn't get damaged, but they weren't pretty after 30+ years, a few minor dents, paint overspray, chemical stains, and two or three sets of wheels. I've seen a couple big toolboxes get damaged too bad to fix.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:48 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,294 Likes on 6,038 Posts

I agree with ya Chuck. Tools did not make me any better, my head did that! However good tools sure made the jobs easier..... no broken tools in the middle of a good project!!

Old 09-14-2023, 02:53 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Backforty
and if your tools say Snap-On on them, that proves you know how to use them?.
A lot of mechanics I knew didn't want Snap On tools, too shiny and slick, wrenches too narrow for comfort, and I remember a guy that borrowed my Craftsman ratchet 2 or 3 times when his Snap On broke. I kidded him that they were cheap enough, he should get a Craftsman for a backup. I didn't want the usual Snap On tools, but I had a few specialty types, they had a good selection of those.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:58 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
I have four tool boxes. Two are Blue Point, which is the SnapOn lower end model. Same box, just cheaper. I have a Craftsman, and a Kobalt. Off all the boxes, I use the Blue Point the most, and I like the Kobalt the best.

Morning Woods!
Maybe a couple years ago looked at a Dewalt box in Home D, thought it was very well designed, but that yellow... Besides, I could get by with plastic bins for tools now, probably use a tenth of my tools most of the time.

Old 09-14-2023, 03:06 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gamble71
Mornin toakers. My ex bought my toolbox for Christmas one year. It's a Sam's club, but it works, despite the fact that I don't
Looks a lot nicer than my Craftsmen. Of course, most of them do.

The following users liked this post:
rocket23 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 03:29 PM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,264 Likes on 3,554 Posts

Honestly sometimes I think the authorities should come and confiscate my tools to keep me from working on anything. It seems like every time I try to wrench it costs me more than if I just took it in. My grandpa had a little tool tray with a handle on it in the utility room. He survived just fine for almost 80 years. Of course he did not own a Harley. If it could not be fixed with a screw driver or pair of pliers, he called the man.

rocket23 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 04:21 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I'm with you Moldy on how slick snap on stuff is. Almost all of my wrenches are the black industrial finish. Not pretty but great for oily hands.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:22 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonebender
Honestly sometimes I think the authorities should come and confiscate my tools to keep me from working on anything. It seems like every time I try to wrench it costs me more than if I just took it in. My grandpa had a little tool tray with a handle on it in the utility room. He survived just fine for almost 80 years. Of course he did not own a Harley. If it could not be fixed with a screw driver or pair of pliers, he called the man.

Sometimes it's better to just be a wallet biker and have peace! (Cross thread points)?

The following 4 users liked this post by soft 02:
gamble71 (09-14-2023), NoRegerts (09-14-2023), rocket23 (09-14-2023), Tonebender (09-15-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 04:26 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,698 Posts

I'm back. Ha, that's funny. See what I did there?

Bill, sorry about your dog. That's always rough. I dread the day when mine goes, but I do my best to make sure I get to spend all the time I can with her while I have her around.

rocket23 (09-14-2023)

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.