The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 10:21 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,342 Likes on 6,413 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
Someone smarter than me please answer this question.
Given that I have a model year '22, which is supposed to have improved front suspension, it seems that there may be gains to be made with aftermarket options for the front. The front still feels pretty "thumpy".
All comments welcome. Go.
If it feels "thumpy" Stan it ain't good...

Hows the rear suspension feel on your back? I know when we left the Deuce you and Mick trucked up I-44 which sucks ***.

I decided to do my rear suspension on a trip back from Arkansas, rough *** highway near Paris TX. I put Ohlin's on the rear and a month later went back to Arkansas and was amazed at the difference. I've had back surgery, and believe me, there was a big difference. Ohlin's you adjust if your riding solo, 2 up, or 2 up loaded with luggage, and it DOES make a difference.

Point is, I didn't notice my shitty front suspension until I did the rear. Then all the vibrations and rough highways I no longer felt thru my seat, but thru the bars.

Cosmic Razorback started a thread about Pro Action front suspension, and they were about half the price of Ohlin's. I installed them on my Ultra Limited, and am more than pleased. It's pitiful that Harley has waited this long to even think about suspension upgrades on $40,000 motorcycles.

Bawb and others here are knowledgeable about suspension, so get their input as well.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:31 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I have Legend Revo A on the back now.... and for what they are, been happy with the improvement.
That being the current set-up, it "seems' like there is room for improvement on the front.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:43 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
I've got a home made one I can send you.
Thanks Greg...yea, I thought about making one out of pvc, screw it, I ordered a Motion Pro from Amazon. Be here possibly Sat.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:47 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

I have Legend Revo A on the back now.... and for what they are, been happy with the improvement.
That being the current set-up, it "seems' like there is room for improvement on the front.
Legends is priced like Ohlin's. Over $900 for front suspension. That's why I went with Pro Action on the front, half the price and a damn good made in the U.S.A. product.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoneBone:
NoRegerts (05-11-2023), Northern Glide (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:15 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,698 Posts

I didn't know you had the rear upgraded. Thats why you're feeling the front. The "thumpy" you describe, is the front not moving smoothly through the range or are you just experiencing brake dive. You hit the front brake and the forks just feel soft. That was my issue. In that case, changing the front makes a huge difference.

I'll be getting Ohlins on my new ST in short order. My back hurt before, so I can only imagine after having broken it how bad it's going to feel.

But seriously Stan, if your front end is just soft that's fine, suspension will fix it. That "thumpy" might be bad if it isn't feeling normal, albeit, bad.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:24 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,937 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Angle of the shot I guess. No, they're chrome Bawb. Several pieces. Entire front end for a Heritage. Chrome lowers, chrome upper fork slider covers, Fork cover kit which is that big piece the fits behind the headlight and wraps around. Pearl is pretty much done and this will set her off. Carlini Gangster apes coming next week I hope.

Retaining her stock suspension tho. No need for that she doesn't go on trips any more, just putting around town. Clean everything up real good, new seals and some fresh Bel Ray fork oil.

Hell, maybe I'm color blind.....I think it's chrome....

Y'all made me risk an *** whooping laying this on Ruthie's table with good lighting.

Thankfully she's busy watching CSI Miami....

I kind of figured, but on my computer it looked black and chrome. Looks great on that fancy table.

If it feels "thumpy" Stan it ain't good...

Hows the rear suspension feel on your back? I know when we left the Deuce you and Mick trucked up I-44 which sucks ***.

I decided to do my rear suspension on a trip back from Arkansas, rough *** highway near Paris TX. I put Ohlin's on the rear and a month later went back to Arkansas and was amazed at the difference. I've had back surgery, and believe me, there was a big difference. Ohlin's you adjust if your riding solo, 2 up, or 2 up loaded with luggage, and it DOES make a difference.

Point is, I didn't notice my shitty front suspension until I did the rear. Then all the vibrations and rough highways I no longer felt thru my seat, but thru the bars.

Cosmic Razorback started a thread about Pro Action front suspension, and they were about half the price of Ohlin's. I installed them on my Ultra Limited, and am more than pleased. It's pitiful that Harley has waited this long to even think about suspension upgrades on $40,000 motorcycles.

Bawb and others here are knowledgeable about suspension, so get their input as well.
I'm a Bel-Ray guy too Jack.

I like my Harleys soft, so what I'm looking for out of a suspension upgrade might be different from what others are looking for. I like to add as much travel as possible. And on Harleys (and only Harleys) I like progressive springs. For the beat up MIdwest roads, that stuff worked. On the billiard smooth Arkansas roads I would do it totally different - much firmer. And yeah, under those conditions the fork will need internal work to catch it up to the rear. Here in Washington, the roads are okay. Better than the Midwest, but not as smooth as the Ozarks or the Smokies. So the long travel/soft shock thing works for me. Honestly, the most I've ever done to the front suspension is add heavier fluid. I run Bel-Ray 15 weight.

LoneBone (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:26 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
Carlini Gangster bars? What size? 16" or 18"?
Sorry Chris, just saw this....16" Carlini's...

be getting Ohlins on my new ST in short order. My back hurt before, so I can only imagine after having broken it how bad it's going to feel.
Chris, one of my best friends, Snowman, aka Tommy, has had somewhere around 16 major back surgeries. He t-boned a car doing 90 mph when he was 20. How he survived I don't know. The bell helmet he was wearing split in 2, so he would have been most definitely dead without a helmet. 5 yrs ago he fell off a 10 ft ladder with a chainsaw. When he stood up bones were sticking out of both arms. Both arms and wrists were broken. Multiple screws and plates in both his back and both arms.

Last year he rode damn near to Canada with me from Texas, and every year we ride to North Carolina to visit Wheels thru Time and kick the Dragons ***. He's had more broken bones and surgeries than most anyone I know, and he still kicks ***. Yea, he's on pain pills, but by God he can ride cross Country and function.

You got this....

Last edited by LoneBone; 05-11-2023 at 11:28 PM.
NoRegerts (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:38 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,698 Posts

Sorry Chris, just saw this....16" Carlini's...

Chris, one of my best friends, Snowman, aka Tommy, has had somewhere around 16 major back surgeries. He t-boned a car doing 90 mph when he was 20. How he survived I don't know. The bell helmet he was wearing split in 2, so he would have been most definitely dead without a helmet. 5 yrs ago he fell off a 10 ft ladder with a chainsaw. When he stood up bones were sticking out of both arms. Both arms and wrists were broken. Multiple screws and plates in both his back and both arms.

Last year he rode damn near to Canada with me from Texas, and every year we ride to North Carolina to visit Wheels thru Time and kick the Dragons ***. He's had more broken bones and surgeries than most anyone I know, and he still kicks ***. Yea, he's on pain pills, but by God he can ride cross Country and function.

You got this....
Thank you. I'm nervous, but I'm determined as hell. And today, only one pain pill all day. Might take another tonight, but that's a damn fine personal achievement.

I really do appreciate the encouragement. It really honest to God does help.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:13 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,937 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Thank you. I'm nervous, but I'm determined as hell. And today, only one pain pill all day. Might take another tonight, but that's a damn fine personal achievement.

I really do appreciate the encouragement. It really honest to God does help.
Chris, you are in the early stages of recovery. First was the surgical stuff and subsequent recovery. That happens fairly quickly. You have seen amazing progress since that day you crashed. But I said it before, and I'll say it again, it takes a long time to get back to 90%. And even longer, if ever, getting that last 10%. Be patient. You'll get there. And with any luck, at 100% or close to it.

I was in a bad crash. Spent an entire summer in the hospital and I was told I would likely need a cane all my life. And that later in life probably a wheelchair. I did walk with a cane for a while. Strapped it to the bike. But I never accepted that I couldn't get back to near normal. I worked my *** off and a year later was back to skiing, running, riding and everything else. Yeah......there's some left over stuff. But it hasn't slowed me down.

You'll be just fine. It could have been so much worse. Count your blessings and work your *** off. Stay focused on PT and strength training. But most important - keep it positive! Your limitations are temporary. Your efforts will be rewarded.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
NoRegerts (05-12-2023), Tonebender (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 01:06 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 28,988 Likes on 9,627 Posts

The aftermarket always makes a better product, for less

rocket23 (05-12-2023)

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.