The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 10:48 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,152 Likes on 12,213 Posts

@NoRegerts - Lack of sleep and bad food was the worst thing about my extended stay at the hospital after a crash. I don't envy you but the good news is you'll be headed home very soon. The insurance companies support your hopes in this regard.

On the RG - that's often the choice of you kids. Cool bikes. But the performance bagger thing is a bigger money hole than normal. It starts with a new suspension which will set you back 5 grand easy. Then the rest. I see the minimum investment at $10K over the cost of the bike. If it were me, seeing as it would have an all new suspension, wheels, exhaust, seat, fenders, etc, I would buy a wrecked bike for cheap.......hmmmm.....wonder where you could find one of those?

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
BTLorys (04-10-2023), NoRegerts (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:03 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,954 Likes on 4,700 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
@NoRegerts - Lack of sleep and bad food was the worst thing about my extended stay at the hospital after a crash. I don't envy you but the good news is you'll be headed home very soon. The insurance companies support your hopes in this regard.

On the RG - that's often the choice of you kids. Cool bikes. But the performance bagger thing is a bigger money hole than normal. It starts with a new suspension which will set you back 5 grand easy. Then the rest. I see the minimum investment at $10K over the cost of the bike. If it were me, seeing as it would have an all new suspension, wheels, exhaust, seat, fenders, etc, I would buy a wrecked bike for cheap.......hmmmm.....wonder where you could find one of those?
Haha! If my bike were paid off and I didn't have equity in it, buying it back might present as a better option. For now, I'll still lose money overall, but not much, and what I lost is gone. I'll have a check cut back from this crash. I'll use that to pay the bills down. As far as the performance bagger stuff, the scene as a whole is fascinating, but you're right, it's a money pit. I like the cool factor of having a stand out bike I can ride across the state in comfort, and enjoy some spirited riding when I'm there.

My SG was dang near finished. I loved the way it sat, rode, and felt overall. It was something I was damn proud of. I'm still very sad about losing it, but I will will rebuild and overcome. The ST gets my closer than a Special would, considering the overall look I am going after. I don't want to fiddle with an older bike as my main and as far as that goes, I will finance and I can get a better rate on a new bike. I could probably pay cash but I'd blow every penny of savings at that point, and I'm not willing to put myself in that position. That payment isn't hurting me and the money put in is mostly insured.

I don't have all the answers, and certainly not now. These drugs are making it hard to think. I take TLT's advice when it comes to this and she encouraged me buy new and get the bike I want from the start. It's the only money pit I have. We (she) saves a lot and soon we're going to be remodeling the kitchen and subsequently, the main bathroom. Get while the getting is good. If I have another mishap like this one, I don't know I'd get back on for a possible third go at it.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:40 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Re-mornin. About to head out to romance my bride with food and a trip to the nursery.

Chris....your chart has the following entry: Doctor suggests closer monitoring of patient due to hallucinations regarding imaginary friend and multiple birthdays.

The following 2 users liked this post by OKMICK:
nevada72 (04-10-2023), NoRegerts (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:43 AM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
Haha! If my bike were paid off and I didn't have equity in it, buying it back might present as a better option. For now, I'll still lose money overall, but not much, and what I lost is gone. I'll have a check cut back from this crash. I'll use that to pay the bills down. As far as the performance bagger stuff, the scene as a whole is fascinating, but you're right, it's a money pit. I like the cool factor of having a stand out bike I can ride across the state in comfort, and enjoy some spirited riding when I'm there.

My SG was dang near finished. I loved the way it sat, rode, and felt overall. It was something I was damn proud of. I'm still very sad about losing it, but I will will rebuild and overcome. The ST gets my closer than a Special would, considering the overall look I am going after. I don't want to fiddle with an older bike as my main and as far as that goes, I will finance and I can get a better rate on a new bike. I could probably pay cash but I'd blow every penny of savings at that point, and I'm not willing to put myself in that position. That payment isn't hurting me and the money put in is mostly insured.

I don't have all the answers, and certainly not now. These drugs are making it hard to think. I take TLT's advice when it comes to this and she encouraged me buy new and get the bike I want from the start. It's the only money pit I have. We (she) saves a lot and soon we're going to be remodeling the kitchen and subsequently, the main bathroom. Get while the getting is good. If I have another mishap like this one, I don't know I'd get back on for a possible third go at it.
Not for nothing, and this may have already crossed your mind, but if & when you do get to figure out what happened, and it does turn out to be a manufacturing defect in the tire that ultimately caused this... the tire co. would have some financial liability in this as well. I wouldn't have a clue as to what needs to be done to prove that (or if its even possible) but I am sure there are lawyers out there who would.

Just a matter of if you want to just drop it and move on or go through the whole process of dragging it out.

Personally I like the performance bagger stuff too and loved what you did with your bike. I just don't have the free flowing funds to start going down that hole right now

NoRegerts (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:52 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Not for nothing, and this may have already crossed your mind, but if & when you do get to figure out what happened, and it does turn out to be a manufacturing defect in the tire that ultimately caused this... the tire co. would have some financial liability in this as well. I wouldn't have a clue as to what needs to be done to prove that (or if its even possible) but I am sure there are lawyers out there who would.
Likely tough to prove. One might invest the price of a new CVO in lawyer's fees, in an attempt to do so.

The following 3 users liked this post by Northern Glide:
BTLorys (04-10-2023), Juan L (04-10-2023), NoRegerts (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 12:05 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTLorys

Just a matter of if you want to just drop it and move on or go through the whole process of dragging it out.

Personally I like the performance bagger stuff too and loved what you did with your bike. I just don't have the free flowing funds to start going down that hole right now
Insurance is cutting me a check. Some of the parts were insured too, so I'm not completely asses out. As far as filing a suit, no point. Near impossible to prove, and too expensive to try. They have teams of lawyers and I'd be taking on two major corporations. And it's not like Harley is known for making a safe product, so the idea that someone was hurt using their product, is not something they'd settle to hide.

I'm alive, I'll have some medical debt. I have damn good insurance and a lot of time off from work. So, between my supplemental insurance and health care I pay for, overall, I'll be fine.

I'll just buy my new bike and start again down the rabit hole.

The following 3 users liked this post by NoRegerts:
BTLorys (04-10-2023), soft 02 (04-10-2023), Spartanden (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:27 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,422 Likes on 6,599 Posts

Late lunch brief stop by....

Lots of options Chris on building a fast bagger. Fast meaning lots of things to lots of people The route I would choose on a new bike is the multiple bolt on kits Harley offers quite reasonable I might add, that will get you up in the 130's (or more) in HP, AND it won't void your warranty, and warranty is damn important on a new scoot. That is plenty of HP if you also want a long distance rider.

My purple bagger dyno'd in the 120/120 range, for the higher torque band. 2 up loaded *** down I can be running 75-80 and if I need to pass something in a hurry when I crack that throttle you better hang on cuz it's gone.

It's good enough for now AND it will outrun Juan L's CVO....

I gotta run to the lumber yard....

The following 2 users liked this post by LoneBone:
BTLorys (04-10-2023), NoRegerts (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:29 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,680 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I agree it's probably very difficult to prove, and possibly not worth the time, but it crossed my mind anyway. Either way, a big tire company might even just settle quickly, not for the reason of hiding it, but to save themselves on the defense cost. Happens all of the time - and people sue for a lot dumber reasons and I see it every day. Legitimate medical debt is not one of those... especially if you end up with long term complications that don't show up till later on down the road.

It's just fresh in my mind because I do primarily commercial insurance sales and just spent a good 2 months trying to win over a local tire shop here but it didn't work out. I never worked with a tire shop before so it was a good learning experience for me. It turns out that the policy the guy has now excluded liability for products (tires) and it limited liability only to their specific premises... I told him he has zero coverage if he gets sued and that he's paying for a useless policy.... but he didn't want to hear it or spend the extra money for the proper policy.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:57 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,951 Likes on 19,384 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
NoRegerts (04-10-2023), Spartanden (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Late lunch brief stop by....

Lots of options Chris on building a fast bagger. Fast meaning lots of things to lots of people The route I would choose on a new bike is the multiple bolt on kits Harley offers quite reasonable I might add, that will get you up in the 130's (or more) in HP, AND it won't void your warranty, and warranty is damn important on a new scoot. That is plenty of HP if you also want a long distance rider.

My purple bagger dyno'd in the 120/120 range, for the higher torque band. 2 up loaded *** down I can be running 75-80 and if I need to pass something in a hurry when I crack that throttle you better hang on cuz it's gone.

It's good enough for now AND it will outrun Juan L's CVO....

I gotta run to the lumber yard....
Keep in mind, the ST I have in mind comes with the 117 CVO engine, so I'll have no need for engine work, now if ever. Just suspension $3k, Kraus bars $2k, and some powder coat, to have the bike I just lost. I'm not gonna dump tens of thousands in it, and even the little I'm planning isn't going to be over night. That's gonna be working extra shifts again. But yes, the warranty is a must for these new bikes anymore. As I recall, the 177 is hitting 127 torque at 3750. That's what they say. Either way, it's bigger and faster than the 107 I had. I don't need the huge motor often, just sometimes lol.

LoneBone (04-10-2023)

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge part XIV.