The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 10:20 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

First time using a flux core welder this morning. Designed for very lightweight applications. I used it to weld up one of Kristi’s broken lawn art thingies. Perfect for that. Been a long time since I was on a stick welder.......

Old 09-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Mornin everbuddy. Far better looking kitchen than mine is. Markus, can't tell, what fell off the bike? Woods are having lotsa good eats, I need to figure something out for breakfast pretty quick or it'll be lunch. Choices... pancakes & sausage, or tater tots covered with mushroom soup & covered with cheese with andouille sausage, or just a bowl of rice krispies so I don't have lunch at 4pm. Lou, those were some big burritos, looked delicious. I like Tex-Mex food. My top meal yesterday was a bacon cheeseburger with fresh picked tomato. Haven't had a restaurant cheeseburger yet as good as my home made.

Good thing 2018 was a high production tomato year, still around a dozen bags in the freezer. Didn't get enough to freeze any last year, this year looks like maybe 3 gallons of juice/pulp if I'm lucky. Processed about two gallons the last couple days and there aren't a lot left out there. Had some nice sandwiches & salads, too, so I'll call it a fair tomato year. Counted 50 butternut squash, I'm gonna have to make more room in the freezers somehow.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:23 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

That's cute Russ. 😊

Cooking a brisket and baked potatoes for family coming over in a little bit.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:25 AM
Juan L

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
That's cute Russ. 😊

Cooking a brisket and baked potatoes for family coming over in a little bit.
That’s cute Chris. Hope you started that brisket last night unless you’re <gasp> doing it in the oven.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:27 AM
Juan L

Originally Posted by Imold
Mornin everbuddy. Far better looking kitchen than mine is. Markus, can't tell, what fell off the bike? Woods are having lotsa good eats, I need to figure something out for breakfast pretty quick or it'll be lunch. Choices... pancakes & sausage, or tater tots covered with mushroom soup & covered with cheese with andouille sausage, or just a bowl of rice krispies so I don't have lunch at 4pm. Lou, those were some big burritos, looked delicious. I like Tex-Mex food. My top meal yesterday was a bacon cheeseburger with fresh picked tomato. Haven't had a restaurant cheeseburger yet as good as my home made.

Good thing 2018 was a high production tomato year, still around a dozen bags in the freezer. Didn't get enough to freeze any last year, this year looks like maybe 3 gallons of juice/pulp if I'm lucky. Processed about two gallons the last couple days and there aren't a lot left out there. Had some nice sandwiches & salads, too, so I'll call it a fair tomato year. Counted 50 butternut squash, I'm gonna have to make more room in the freezers somehow.
Morning Mike. We had tomatoes coming out our ears here, and okra too. Zucchini’s didn’t produce much though.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:36 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
Morning Mike. We had tomatoes coming out our ears here, and okra too. Zucchini’s didn’t produce much though.
)*(&^%^&* zucchini!

Hey, Russ

The following users liked this post:
Juan L (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

First time using a flux core welder this morning. Designed for very lightweight applications. I used it to weld up one of Kristi’s broken lawn art thingies. Perfect for that. Been a long time since I was on a stick welder.......
Maybe it's just me, but a flux core seems the hardest to get right, but all I've used is a 110V cheapie I got some years back. You're talking about a wire feed, not stick, right? Mig is my favorite, but haven't used one in over 30 years. learned on stick, and once upon a time was a little proud of my stick work. No avoiding the dingle berries, though. Guy that taught me to weld used pop cans (steel back in those days, aluminum came later). Blew a lot of holes in cans before I got it, was frustrating, but he said if I could do that, I'd probably be able to handle anything I tried. Don't know if my hands are steady enough to do something like that now. That flux core makes me think I should have gotten a stick welder and just chipped the berries off. You can get some of those with a wire feed flux core, too. Wonder how much a stick is at Northern Tool...

Old 09-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Haven't done zucchini in years, but it always produced a lot. Not many ways I like the stuff. Did have some okra this year, got about two servings, planted seed in the ground and it didn't come up till late August, and only 3 or 4 stunted plants. I had a crop in Arizona that some days would half fill a grocery bag almost every day for a couple months, and occasionally a whole bag, that stuff loves heat. Almost have to start okra in the house so it has good roots before planting outside, most veggies won't come up from seed here till late July or August, not much time left to get much. That's the last several years, when I moved in this house, I had a couple years I picked tomatoes before the end of June. Must be global warming...

Old 09-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Juan L

Yes Mike, wire feed. First time using one and thanked my neighbor for letting me use it. This particular unit is for sale for $199.00 at Harbor Freight.

I think it was too hot for the zucchini. After a promising spring where they produced a few fruit, they stopped setting and started making leaves. I don’t think Al knows the answer.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:46 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Jokes on you Russ. Wife started it umpteen hours ago. It's going to be juice and delicious!

The following 2 users liked this post by NoRegerts:
DanHappy (09-25-2020), Juan L (09-20-2020)

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII