The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:01 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Does she have any riding experience, or would this be her starter bike? 350 lbs or less, even a small woman can usually hold it up easily, 550+, can be a challenge just getting a little off balance for a man. Smaller Japanese bikes shift real smooth, light clutch, and you can push them a fair amount without them getting ahead of you. I got my daughter a 250 Honda Nighthawk, better road bike than the enduro, handles very well and the clutch and transmission were so smooth and easy you almost couldn't screw up. Kind of boring, actually, but not to a beginner at first. Would be real easy to drop a Harley in the garage and pay more to fix it than the Honda cost. I got it for $800 used, and it's rare to see one under $1000. Or you could let her ride your bike a few times first, so she wouldn't be as likely to put scratches on her new one later.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:04 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I've met ladies that were scared off by sportsters, those aren't what I'd call forgiving bikes, especially a 1200. Doesn't help that they used to all come with the worst handling motorcycle tire I've ridden on, Dunlop 400 series. My daughter wanted her first ride on the road (after the motorcycle course) on a Harley, just had the 883 and the Tour Glide then, loved it but said too much bike for her comfort level and likes my smaller ones better. My daughter said my little Yamaha enduro is the most fun, and really likes riding off road. That's how to pick up handling skills real quick, too, without the asphalt rash and thousand dollar bike repairs, but she didn't like that it stranded her over a mile into some Wisconsin woods once. Starter quit a while back, I was planning on doing a frame up and repaint on it with my grandson this summer, but I think I've seen him 2 or 3 times so far, it'll probably stay in the shed another year at least, with two boys, a girl and a don't know yet, she won't be riding this summer anyway.
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Moldy, so what you're saying is, getting my wife a Sportster 48 is a bad idea?

Not kidding, that's what she wants. I imagine if that's the case I would have gone with her to test ride it for her and came back and said nope, no way. So, where would be a good place to look for a bike she could ride that won't scare her off? She likes the styling of the bike but I've never ridden one so I didn't know that would be a bad option. I can look into the enduro. Hopefully she'd accept my advice if I went to her with this info?

I started on a little bike and worked my way up. I'm glad I did. Big bikes can get away from you fast if you don't know what you're doing. Sometimes, if you DO know what you're doing.
Originally Posted by gamble71
I learned on dirt bikes... where everyone should start. They're indestructible, fun, and cheap. Move up as your skills progress

ly
Harley Davidson is very clever at marketing to the ladies. I've taken Cheryl into dealerships and the scum salesmen have her sitting on a Deluxe or Sportster before she even has a license. And of course they're all pretty and sparkly so women want them. My sister fell for that and bought a Sportster and had it delivered. She at least had her license. But she sucked as a rider. She dropped that thing more times than I could count. She ended up hating it. On my advice she bought a Suzuki GS500 and loved it. But of course that wasn't cool enough to be seen on so she ended up trading the Sportster on a Heritage. Turned out to be much better than the Sportster - less rake = easier to steer. She still has it and gets around okay on it.

So Cheryl is totally off the big bike idea. She likes the Moto Guzzi V7, which is about the same size as the XG 500. I could probably agree to that once she gets more experience under her belt.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Yeah, not getting on my bike. That's $3k every time it falls over. And she's a Springer, weird as hell at first. I almost crashed right off the lot because it was different than what I'd known before. Oh and those brakes, holy God im so glad i upgraded them.

She needs to get her license first, and you're right Harley knows how to advertise. She likes it because it's shiny. Won't be for long though. Couple falls fixes that real quick.

I was thinking Yamaha V Star 650 or something similar. Not glamorous, but low and light. Easy to handle, smooth and forgiving. We'll continue this discussion some day I'm sure.

Right now, even I'm scared of the bike. Even hit a slippery patch and lost the rear wheel for a few inches. Dang white stripe turning left. Didn't even come close to going down, but it made me remember what could happen.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:40 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,800 Likes on 6,492 Posts

I don't know, but I don't think y'all take long trips on scoots...

The 48 damn sure wouldn't fit that bill. Friend's son bought one before he had his license, and asked me to ride it to his house. Rode the damn thing a mere 12 miles and couldn't get off of it fast enough. That thing sucked ***** as far as any type of comfort goes.

The following users liked this post:
Juan L (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 07:48 PM
QC
Club Member

Evening, Jack!

Old 07-27-2020, 07:49 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,800 Likes on 6,492 Posts

Evening Greg, Woodrow's....

Old 07-27-2020, 07:49 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
I don't know, but I don't think y'all take long trips on scoots...

The 48 damn sure wouldn't fit that bill. Friend's son bought one before he had his license, and asked me to ride it to his house. Rode the damn thing a mere 12 miles and couldn't get off of it fast enough. That thing sucked ***** as far as any type of comfort goes.

I had a cafe style Bonneville before I bought the Harley. Loved the way it looked but fking hated it. I was SO happy the day I sold it and got the Harley. I do long rides, she does trips on the back 150 miles tops. The 48 is cool to sit and stare at, thats it. Dang thing doesn't go but 100 miles on a tank.

Ultimately, I afraid it would be too heavy and get away from her and scare her away from bikes altogether. That,, and it's not practical at all. It's a lot of money to spend on something she may hate.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:07 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Yup. Didn't ride my Tramp very far but it was not comfortable. Always had electrical problems. I was 17-18. Didn't much care about comfort.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Had a good roll in jits class. Ended up with a black eye. Still won the match.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:14 PM
QC
Club Member

Evening, Lou. What does the other guy look like?

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII