The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 08:25 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Alcohol and cigars killed my ole man, he lived his life as he wanted, couldn't get him off the alcohol, he almost made 75..
If I did the math right, I'm two months older than my Dad was when he died at 73. Doesn't seem right to be older than a parent ever did. He lived pretty healthy, but cancer doesn't care how healthy you are otherwise. Been gone 21 years, still miss him.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:29 AM
fireman031967
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
If I did the math right, I'm two months older than my Dad was when he died at 73. Doesn't seem right to be older than a parent ever did. He lived pretty healthy, but cancer doesn't care how healthy you are otherwise. Been gone 21 years, still miss him.
Morning Mike, sorry to hear your Dad passed early of cancer but glad you still think of him fondly.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:31 AM
fireman031967
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenW
Both brothers died by alcohol and drugs, neither made 40.
Hard road to be on, but hell to get off.

Alw
True statement there Al!

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Allen, sorry to hear that. I suspect what will take me off two wheels, if nothing else pops up, will be knees, mine are getting weak, getting up off my knees in the garden is getting difficult, can barely push up on one leg like you'd normally do. Sidecars can keep you in the wind if it's only knees, but the extra effort to ride them (they're a physical workout compared to two wheels) would probably be hard on a back issue.

Time just seems to fly by now, plan on doing something soon, and then it's a year later. Been what, two or three years since we got together with Russ? I really enjoy that, haven't gotten together with anyone but my daughter and her family this year so far, and that may continue till next year. Feel like I'm a hermit sometimes. This current mess eases up, be nice to get together with our ladies. Mine hasn't been in my house since early March, really worries about the virus, and me getting too exposed taking care of my grandkids occasionally and their Dad still working.

Take care, lotta nice things about being retired, lotta not so nice things about getting old.

The following users liked this post:
fireman031967 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

I never got a CCW, would seriously consider it if this state actually got crazy enough to replace police with unarmed "counselors", although when a bunch of those got killed they might reconsider. At least that Minneapolis mayor I've thought was worthless did say no to firing the police. I've been failing to think of something nice to get my daughter for her birthday next week, and recently remembered some years ago she wanted a 9 mil pistol but never got one as far as I know. Too late to get one in time here, need a permit to buy and waiting times... I wouldn't mind if she got a CCW, she spends a lot of time in downtown Minneapolis when/if she stops working from home like she's done since March. Her company was one of the first here to close their offices and everyone works from home.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:08 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I never got a CCW, would seriously consider it if this state actually got crazy enough to replace police with unarmed "counselors", although when a bunch of those got killed they might reconsider. At least that Minneapolis mayor I've thought was worthless did say no to firing the police. I've been failing to think of something nice to get my daughter for her birthday next week, and recently remembered some years ago she wanted a 9 mil pistol but never got one as far as I know. Too late to get one in time here, need a permit to buy and waiting times... I wouldn't mind if she got a CCW, she spends a lot of time in downtown Minneapolis when/if she stops working from home like she's done since March. Her company was one of the first here to close their offices and everyone works from home.
Considering the way things are going here, a carry permit and self defense weapon would be pretty high on my list.
With the city councils attempting to disband police here, it's gonna be a war zone.
Looks like the have enough votes to over ride the useless mayor we have.
Have her get the pistol and spend a lot of time in training, it may save her life.

Like they say, Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
Alw

The following 3 users liked this post by AllenW:
DanHappy (06-09-2020), Juan L (06-08-2020), soft 02 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:23 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Morning AlW and a Mike! Keep your heads down up there!

Old 06-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AllenW
Considering the way things are going here, a carry permit and self defense weapon would be pretty high on my list.
With the city councils attempting to disband police here, it's gonna be a war zone.
Looks like the have enough votes to over ride the useless mayor we have.
Have her get the pistol and spend a lot of time in training, it may save her life.

Like they say, Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
Alw
Was interrupted with a phone call.

I expect the police here, and a lot of other places, to get their budgets reduced, but I'd be surprised if any police departments actually get shut down. Replacing them with unarmed people to talk nice to criminals would be entertaining, if wouldn't result in so many casualties.

"Better to have and not need, than need and not have", yep, in the Army they said prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Words to live by. My ex called that negative thinking, but I still think that way, and I don't care what she thinks now. I think when I have dinner with my daughter this week we'll have a talk about guns. She isn't shy about them, has fired a variety and got her first deer while still in college.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:59 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Juan L
Morning AlW and a Mike! Keep your heads down up there!
If the **** really hits the fan, kinda hard to aim with your head down...

I don't really expect things getting that bad, but I still wouldn't want to be a big city cop now.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:06 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Afternoon gents!

In my world I don't know that I would feel a serious side effect of a reduction in police. Not meant to be an insult when I say I honestly cannot think of any time in my life where the police have benefitted me directly. Unless speeding tickets are a benefit. That, of course is not factoring all the "unseen" effects of having a police presence. But if something shitty goes down the old saying applies - when seconds count, the cops are minutes away. A cop told me that.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII