The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 04:48 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,814 Likes on 19,320 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
I am thinking Bob may invite you up, with coffee grinder, for some personal instruction.
I hope this has nothing to do with handling ***** :<(

Old 02-26-2020, 04:49 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
With all the discussion this week over fresh ground coffee, I decided to buy a grinder and some coffee beans. You have to understand that I'm a coffee *****...I will drink any kind of coffee including stale gas station coffee if I have to. My wife thinks that it's disgusting that I'll drink the coffee made at 6 a.m. at 2 p.m. :icon-shrug: I'll just buy a cheap grinder from Amazon since i'll get tired of it in a month and I can just throw it away.
Now the question for you guys. My wife doesn't like strong coffee but I do. Any recommendations on coffee that might be acceptable to both of us. I usually take the first cup out of the machine because I think it's the strongest.....Oh...it better not be $50/lb stuff
First, what it says on the coffee package is a wild assed guess. I've bought medium that was what I'd call burnt black, and medium that was "lighter" than light roast I've had. Just gotta experiment. The only two decafs I've had that were actually good was one from Sam's Club that of course was never there again, and roasted that morning Sumatran from Dun Brothers that ain't cheap. The rest I've had was evil. That's just in case she wants some bedtime coffee or like my lady friend doesn't drink the real stuff.

There's all kinds of fancy descriptions about coffee that make little sense to me (sweet, fruity... I never tasted any I'd call that), all I think of it is flavor, strength, and roast/darkness. Most is too dark/bitter to me, my favorites have been medium roast, but what I really have to do is just try it. If it's too dark, nothing you can do about it. An actual medium, you can vary the amount of bean for strength, and not let it brew as long. The amount of bean and how long can make a big difference. For your wife, try a light roast, a little heavy on bean amount (more flavor) and pour it after a half minute in the French press, not the recommended 4 minutes. Oh, I forgot to mention, if you're using a percolator, it's ruined already, just use anything. If she uses half & half as so many women do, it's ruined, too. Black or real cream, anything else changes the flavor and not in a good way. My daughter got a French press in college and got me started on beans and a press, and maybe once in 4 cups I actually get it right and it's wonderful. There's a downside to really good coffee, though, once you've hit the perfect brew for you, all the rest will taste so much worse than it did before. Kinda sucks, I hate most restaurant coffee now. And can't help it with real cream 'cause all they ever have is powdered or half & half. Cream koolaid...

Coffee purists would probably say I don't know what I'm doing and they'd probably be right, but I still have about the best coffee I've ever had with breakfast. As long as I don't use water like the Woods' cabin in Arkansas had.

Do I get a participation award for longest post today?

Old 02-26-2020, 04:51 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,048 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Bob, I was looking at this one. Inexpensive, has a hopper and automagic.....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018RRRK
This is the one I bought -
Capresso Capresso
It works pretty well. It's really easy to clean vs the much more expensive one I had that burned up. That one had a real issue in that some of the coffee actually made it's way into the motor compartment. I opened it up and after maybe 2 years of use it was jam packed with coffee, which seized up the motor.

I guess I got a good deal. on the Capresso It was 75% off when the World Market by us went out of business.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:52 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
This is the one I bought - Capresso It works pretty well. It's really easy to clean vs the much more expensive one I had that burned up. That one had a real issue in that some of the coffee actually made it's way into the motor compartment. I opened it up and after maybe 2 years of use it was jam packed with coffee, which seized up the motor.

I guess I got a good deal. on the Capresso It was 75% off when the World Market by us went out of business.

Thats the one we have as well. I grind every morning.

Edit: I have the one Al posted.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:54 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Al, are you gonna let Bob have a better coffee grinder than you? Step up...

https://majestycoffee.com/products/m...hoCBYkQAvD_BwE

soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Bob, I was looking at this one. Inexpensive, has a hopper and automagic.....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018RRRK

I like ours but wish the lower container was larger. 2 years using it so far. I drink 10 cups a day. Trying to cut back.

nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Thats the one we have as well. I grind every morning.

Edit: I have the one Al posted.
For the money I think it's a decent grinder.

Damn...….after that "interracial" thread and my quip about Keith the word "grinder" just doesn't feel right anymore.

Guess I shot myself in the foot on that one.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Mine was 5 bucks at Goodwill. They have better prices than Amazon, but don't deliver. And you can return anything. Money back... uh, no.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:57 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Moldie, thanks for the info. I'm a coffee *****, I'll drink anything except flavored and I drink it black. Wife uses a drop of half n half. Regular drip coffee maker. Wife says i make it too strong, I say she makes it too weak. I tell her just add water into her cup, she says it's not the same..this is going to be fun. Just told her " We'll be drinking coffee with fresh ground beans this Friday afternoon...and maybe by next Friday we'll have coffee that we can actually drink"...Buahahahah

Old 02-26-2020, 04:57 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Al, are you gonna let Bob have a better coffee grinder than you? Step up...

https://majestycoffee.com/products/m...hoCBYkQAvD_BwE
Now we're talking!

I have a friend that bought a built in espresso maker that had a grinder (ugh) and everything you need to just push a button and get awesome espresso each morning. It was connected to a water source and self cleaning. All you had to do was add beans.

$6000

I told him it would need to provide me with more than espresso for that price. And I didn't really say "more than espresso".

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII