The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 09:25 PM
OGMarkwood
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
OK....a funny Dad story. My old man was always armed. Always. I swear to God if he walked into the kitchen he had a gun in his underwear somehow. Anyway, he was also an animal lover. He related to animals far better than people and he, in particular, loved dogs. In Arkansas he had a new neighbor who had a German Shepherd. Beautiful dog. Well this ******* would leave the dog tied to a tree outside and go away for days. Sometimes the poor thing was out there in unbearable heat or even terrible storms. This drove the old man crazy. He knew better than to go get the dog, but I know he desperately wanted to. So instead he called the cops and told them the guy was being abusive. Well the cops give the guy a big ticket and tell him if he leaves the dog out in a storm again they'll take him away. The guy knows my old man turned him in so when he sees my Dad outside one day he runs over to tell him off. He gets up in the old man's face and starts threatening him. The old man is wearing what he always wears - t-shirt and shorts. He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a pistol, lets it hang by his side, and tells the guy it's time for him to leave. The dude basically sprinted home. And he called the cops. The cops show up and ask my Dad if he threatened the guy with a gun. He tells them - "Of course not. I'm a pacifist. I don't even own guns." Well they new he was full of ****, but they decided to leave it be.

The old man was a cagey one. He once had a boss he couldn't stand run up the flag pole and transferred to the Miller Brewing equivalent of Siberia for "sexual harassment". Lol......Dad was 6-4, 250 lbs, and a state judo champ.
I don't own any guns either but running a man up a flag pole seems......like work.

The following 2 users liked this post by OGMarkwood:
Imold (01-20-2020), nevada72 (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
It's not the green and black, it's the bacon double cheeseburgers.
The TOAK dietician has spoken. We’re on a diet.

Originally Posted by Imold
Dad was a guy I would never have wanted to get in a fight with, born in 1925, raised on farms, WWII and Korea in the Army. If you saw that HBO series Band of Brothers, he was a few companies south of the one in the movie. Before the book was written, one of the few things he told me about it was his company coming under fire crossing a field towards a big house. They swiss cheesed it, and when they got inside, it was full of dead school kids with old rifles. Imagine my surprise seeing that in the movie, only attributed to a different company. He said all the guys wished they'd known, they'd have retreated and just gone around. Mom told me he when he got back from the war, he told her over half the guys in his company died on that line, and then never mentioned them again. I at least had C rations every day, he said they had to forage for food most of the way across France and Belgium, and the Germans didn't leave much. I just recently got older than he was when he died of cancer. His last year was the hardest in his life, really hurt to see him go that way. He was in Joplin, MO at the end, and when I got a call to come quick if I wanted to see him again, flew down that day with Audrey (was 13 then), and never saw him happier when he saw her, he didn't think he'd ever see her again. Maybe that's why he pulled through that episode and made it another couple months. Must be getting tired, words on the screen are getting blurry.
Great story Mike, thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by BmrWood
I'd rather default to Green/Black.
Besides ....... what cheeseburgers ??
Ha!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:37 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Great stories, Bob. My Dad was in the grocery business. He was the night manager of a store just off Sunset Blvd in LA while he and my Mom went to college. One night he sees a guy put a can of sauerkraut in his pocket and walk out. My Dad chases him to the parking lot and detained him till the cops got there.

Turns out the guy was a boxer of some note, Gentleman Jack O'Brien. I still have the LA Times news clippings somewhere.
Your Dad must have been of some presence and substance or I'd have thought Gentleman Jack might have throttled him !

Originally Posted by rwhisen

Ha!
Russ, I'll see your Ha .........and raise you a Bwaaahahaha

Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,878 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Stan, when this occurred, about 1958 or '59, Jack O'Brien was in his 70's as I recall from the news articles.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Stan, when this occurred, about 1958 or '59, Jack O'Brien was in his 70's as I recall from the news articles.
10-4 Mick ..... Great Dad story.
Gents, time for me to remove my riding jacket...... and as Kub used to say .............. hit the fart sack.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,878 Likes on 17,363 Posts

I thought BMW riders wore their gear to bed.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:50 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Night Stan!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

I thought BMW riders wore their gear to bed.
I heard that crack Mr. Mick !!

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Night Stan!
G'Nite Russ, LOL

Old 01-20-2020, 10:03 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Actually, a crack is better heard than seen, if of the male variety.
wait, that's not so good either ......

Old 01-20-2020, 10:13 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

Great dad stories. Many of us in the Toak have or had parents from the greatest generation. They experienced a lot life starting with the depression and then WWII.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII