The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,733 Likes on 19,289 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Evening gents, from sticky Sioux City.

So my psychology of offering the dealer the chance to impress fell flat on it's face. They have decided that the ticking is from excessive carbon buildup which was caused by either bad gas or my FP3. So that will be $600 to take the front jug off and scrape the carbon off. I could have done it with $20 of Techron. Live and learn. I hope they get a good last look at the bike, because that's the end of that. I'll take my business elsewhere.

Guy had some cajones grandes. He not only told me it will be $600 (after telling me he was SURE it would be covered), he offered me a good/better/best option ranging up to $2200. Told him no thanks and left it at that.
Okee Dokee Bob ... My 2¢ worth ... and yes, it's a long distance guess ... I've seen several instances where there has been significant carbon buildup ( especially in the front jug ) ... and in several instances it's been attributable to ( my estimation ) of the rerouting of the crankcase gases through the intake circuit ... Pull the plug ( you may see the problem exhibited on the plug ) and buy/borrow a borescope ( cheap ones are available through sites like Harbor Freight ) that will be able to give you a birds eye view of the top of the piston ... Another thought is that you say the noise goes away once it warms up? ... Piston to bore clearance may be excessive and you're hearing "piston slap" ... just a possibility ... If it is carbon run some of the "mechanic in a can" chemicals and see if that helps ... Old schoolers use to induce water into the intake while keeping the rev's high and "blasting" the carbon ... This does work but be careful

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I think it's because when I went to the academy i just kind of dissapeared. After that I moved and my life was turned upside down. No one knew what happened to me. Lou did, but he didn't pass along I hadn't been killed.

And I walked on the *#%@$ grass.

I might have mentioned something about being stuck in a mexican jail...

Old 08-20-2019, 09:22 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,698 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
I might have mentioned something about being stuck in a mexican jail...
I was in El Paso, so close enough. Lol

Old 08-20-2019, 09:56 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,339 Likes on 6,413 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Okee Dokee Bob ... My 2¢ worth ... and yes, it's a long distance guess ... I've seen several instances where there has been significant carbon buildup ( especially in the front jug ) ... and in several instances it's been attributable to ( my estimation ) of the rerouting of the crankcase gases through the intake circuit ... Pull the plug ( you may see the problem exhibited on the plug ) and buy/borrow a borescope ( cheap ones are available through sites like Harbor Freight ) that will be able to give you a birds eye view of the top of the piston ... Another thought is that you say the noise goes away once it warms up? ... Piston to bore clearance may be excessive and you're hearing "piston slap" ... just a possibility ... If it is carbon run some of the "mechanic in a can" chemicals and see if that helps ... Old schoolers use to induce water into the intake while keeping the rev's high and "blasting" the carbon ... This does work but be careful
I'm agreeing a whole bunch to what Larry said....

Bawb, correct me if I'm wrong, but you were fine with the bike till a bunch of people told you something was wrong with it? Engine making too much noise?

Stop listening to other people critique your bike, LOL...

I know you've spent a lifetime on 2 wheels, so have I. I have spent a quarter century on Harley Davidson motorcycles of one form or another, and they make noise. It drives newer riders who came up on water cooled engines crazy. I'm not the mechanic Lucifer is, but hearing a little bit of engine clatter doesn't mean your engine is no longer trustworthy, and is going to GRENADE, LMAO....

When you crank up an air cooled engine, (100 yr old design) you're probably gonna hear a little bit of pushrod and valve clatter. Just a little bit. I'm not talking about obvious knocking, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem. I haven't followed along, so maybe I missed where a mechanic has told you that you have a definite problem. Hopefully not.

All I'm saying is people have made businesses trying to quieten down brand new Harley Davidson engines, and thousands of people have paid them for their products. You could probably have ridden every one of those bikes that they freak out about the noise a 100,000 miles with no issues.

If I missed something and you do have an issue, hopefully it gets fixed. Let me know how it goes as I am curious....

Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Teaching a small class today on how to start a carbureted engine.

NoRegerts (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

soft 02 (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Old 08-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

When I bought my bike used, I pulled the plugs and looked at the top of the pistons and found them carboned up pretty good. Started the bike, held the throttle open a bit and squirted water into the intake. Did the breather bypass and the pistons looked much better.

Last edited by Juan L; 08-20-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Uncle Larry (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
........... and squirted water into the intake.
Not sure I follow ya there Russ ....... ?

Last edited by Juan L; 08-20-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,878 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Water, Stan.

Auto complete can be a booger.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII