The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 09:05 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,337 Likes on 3,578 Posts

I dropped Scooby off at the dog spa. Later we visit Outdoor World or Bass Pro Shop for rain gear.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:08 AM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

Good morning Woods. Another nice day here.
Chris, like Russ said you need to figure a better way to move your welder around. I have abused my back for years and now I have had surgery and still have issues and constant pain. Be careful. you only have one back.

The following users liked this post:
NoRegerts (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:17 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
I can empathize with you on the back thing. Work smarter not harder and get a generator that will deliver the amperage you need. Rental-Home Depot
Originally Posted by RKGDCG03
Good morning Woods. Another nice day here.
Chris, like Russ said you need to figure a better way to move your welder around. I have abused my back for years and now I have had surgery and still have issues and constant pain. Be careful. you only have one back.
You're 100% correct and if I advertised my services, I'd set up my flat bed as a mobile welding and fab station. I don't offer my service publicly, so it's word of mouth and most jobs come to me, instead of me being on site. The welder has been priceless to my own projects and has paid for itself since though. If I were to do more, I'd have to come up with a better solution though, that's for sure. I can't do what I did this weekend again.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:17 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Morning Russ, Rob, Chris, Larry, Tim, Denny, and Greg.

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
Russ, my back is killing me today. I'm walking at maybe half speed. Did two charity/fund raiser events this weekend then loaded the welder to do some work on a ranch for someone. I think that's where I did myself in. My welder is not mobile and it was a nightmare to load and unload and load and unload it. Worst part was, the area I was at couldn't handle the amperage so I couldn't finish.

What aggravates me is, I was doing it as a favor. I asked to make sure he had the power on site. I was told he did. Apparently when I asked if he had 50A service, he thought the 15A circuit was enough anyway. So I feel like I was lied to. I was told the parts were in the field, they were not. He could have loaded the parts of the fence and brought them to me. I'd have finished in very short order and not hurt myself. The best, and here's the final kicker. I agreed to the welding, with the expectation he would do the fab work. Nope. So Fk me I guess.

Next time I'm charging my normal $200 minumum rate plus $50/hr or $100/hr for fab
Because you're a nice guy you get the "No good deed goes unpunished" award in the form of back pain. BTDT. Unfortunately, there is only one cure - stop being a nice guy. It's not easy and takes practice. Our first inclination is to help. Problem is, there's a lot of people out there, not bad people mind you, but people who are very willing to let you attempt an exercise in futility on their behalf because they're hoping for the best and won't go the extra mile to be thorough. Which is the main difference between us and them - we see things front to back. They don't. And they don't understand when we tell them why something won't work. And even worse, we go from being the nice guy to ******* just like that.

I've worked very hard at being an ******* this last decade. I think I'm getting pretty good at it. I suggest you do the same.

The following 3 users liked this post by nevada72:
Imold (10-11-2022), NoRegerts (10-11-2022), RKGDCG03 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:22 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Morning Russ, Rob, Chris, Larry, Tim, Denny, and Greg.

Because you're a nice guy you get the "No good deed goes unpunished" award in the form of back pain. BTDT. Unfortunately, there is only one cure - stop being a nice guy. It's not easy and takes practice. Our first inclination is to help. Problem is, there's a lot of people out there, not bad people mind you, but people who are very willing to let you attempt an exercise in futility on their behalf because they're hoping for the best and won't go the extra mile to be thorough. Which is the main difference between us and them - we see things front to back. They don't. And they don't understand when we tell them why something won't work. And even worse, we go from being the nice guy to ******* just like that.

I've worked very hard at being an ******* this last decade. I think I'm getting pretty good at it. I suggest you do the same.
You're not wrong BroDad. I thought I asked all the right questions. I've helped this guy through a lot, from his being at his bedside in the hospital to basic art projects. He's from the old school. We're "Brothers in blue" and help each other out no matter what. I get that to an extent, but I'm not gonna be "nice" about things anymore. I'll charge my normal rates and if they don't like it they can shop and realize I offer a good rate. It costs me money to weld and to fab. plus it's damn hard work. I'll also not being doing on site anything if I'm, not set up properly for it. That's on me though.

nevada72 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:25 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
You're not wrong BroDad. I thought I asked all the right questions. I've helped this guy through a lot, from his being at his bedside in the hospital to basic art projects. He's from the old school. We're "Brothers in blue" and help each other out no matter what. I get that to an extent, but I'm not gonna be "nice" about things anymore. I'll charge my normal rates and if they don't like it they can shop and realize I offer a good rate. It costs me money to weld and to fab. plus it's damn hard work. I'll also not being doing on site anything if I'm, not set up properly for it. That's on me though.
Question - has he ever helped you out?

On the rest - yeah. Sometimes you just gotta evaluate and say no when you know it's not going to work out.

And get a cart of some sort for that welder. I had a little 120V one and I even had a cart for that. Hope you feel better soon. Ibuprofen.

NoRegerts (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:28 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Question - has he ever helped you out?

On the rest - yeah. Sometimes you just gotta evaluate and say no when you know it's not going to work out.

And get a cart of some sort for that welder. I had a little 120V one and I even had a cart for that. Hope you feel better soon. Ibuprofen.
No, but I've only asked for help once and I got it, just wasn't him I asked at the time.

I have a cart, it's great around the shop, but it's not build to be mobile. I built this:

Old 10-11-2022, 09:30 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Chris, over the years, trying to be a nice guy and helping people out, I realized that I was just being taken advantage of. I learned two simple words..." NO !"

Juan L (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:46 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,208 Likes on 9,691 Posts

Neighbor bought a mig welder and doesn't know how to weld. He asked me to teach him. I haven't welded in years, so told him I need some scrap metal to practice on first

Old 10-11-2022, 09:49 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gamble71
Neighbor bought a mig welder and doesn't know how to weld. He asked me to teach him. I haven't welded in years, so told him I need some scrap metal to practice on first
Mig welder? That's easy. The beauty comes in the technique, but the weld itself is easy. You know, I say that, but I see so many screw it up. Tell him to get on YouTube lol.

gamble71 (10-11-2022)

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII