The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 09:31 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,844 Likes on 19,331 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Dog walk complete, had the pre-load on my sneakers adjusted just right and my legs feel fresh as a daisy.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:32 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
If sag were "under-set" to allow for a softer ride .........wouldn't the stroke just travel further before hopefully not bottoming out on a big hole, or it is a mistake to allow for more travel "momentum" and resulting bottom out "bang" by under-setting sag?
Too big a sag figure (it drops too much when you get on) and your suspension could bottom out under braking and cornering. Too small a figure (doesn’t drop enough) and it could “top out” under acceleration or over bumps and damage the shock.

The general rule of thumb is that when the rider is riding on a flat and straight surface, the shock compresses one-third of the way through its total travel. That way, when the rider hits a bump, the shock can compress two-thirds of its travel; if the rider goes over a rise in the road, the shock can extend one-third of its travel and the wheel can stay in contact with the road.

Morning Chris, Mick and Larry.

Larry, the Dallas Cowboys want to thank your Lions for doing them a solid yesterday.

Last edited by Juan L; 12-20-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:33 AM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,698 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Truth ! Our roads suck in greater MN because the metro folks like to spend as much as they can for cool city toys (billions for light rail) and "other" programs. Our freeze-thaws raise hell with everything out here.
Thanks Bob-O
If sag were "under-set" to allow for a softer ride .........wouldn't the stroke just travel further before hopefully not bottoming out on a big hole, or it is a mistake to allow for more travel "momentum" and resulting bottom out "bang" by under-setting sag?
Stan, the shock can reach its travel limit on the up stoke or rebound also. Hence the need for the sag, to get the piston in its “ center of travel “ so it can work in both directions.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:35 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,296 Likes on 6,040 Posts

Heady discussions here.... could lead to a shocking development!

Old 12-20-2021, 09:39 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Oh, and Stan, sag also determines the chassis geometry angle. With less shock sag, the rear of the bike will ride higher causing a quicker steering response. The more shock sag, the rear of the bike will ride lower and improve high speed stability. These are General thoughts Stan and you set it up for you and your preferences.

The following users liked this post:
Northern Glide (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 09:53 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Thanks Gents- good info and common sense when you think about it.
Plus, I like the idea of my piston being "centered", allowing me to stroke it in either direction for the best ride, for my partner too .....

Old 12-20-2021, 10:10 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Thanks Gents- good info and common sense when you think about it.
Plus, I like the idea of my piston being "centered", allowing me to stroke it in either direction for the best ride, for my partner too .....
An inch or so in each direction???

Old 12-20-2021, 10:17 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Truth ! Our roads suck in greater MN because the metro folks like to spend as much as they can for cool city toys (billions for light rail) and "other" programs. Our freeze-thaws raise hell with everything out here.
Thanks Bob-O
If you under set sag to allow for a softer ride, which I take as reducing preload, means you are actually using up more travel when you sit on the bike vs less. So you'll have a softer ride, but bottom out much sooner. Lets say you adjust it to 1/2 the travel of 3 inches. Obviously that leaves you with only 1.5 inches of compression travel. Sure, you also have 1.5 of "extension" travel, but that isn't as helpful when trying to absorb road irregularities.

Biggest issue I have here is the frost heaves and expansion joints. They're like mini speedbumps on the highway. You hit those at 75 MPH and it plays hell on the suspension, either bottoming the shock, or bucking you off the seat because the spring is too stiff to absorb it. It's a very fine line of adjustment to reduce the severity of those hits, and then maintaining an acceptable ride on good roads. That's where more travel really helps. 3 inches isn't enough. Hell.....sometimes 5 inches isn't enough (That's what she said!). But on rough roads, more is better. I ran 13.5s which is the minimum I would do. 14s would be even better.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:37 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BARACU
An inch or so in each direction???
Ya, ......Max !
Hahahaha

Old 12-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
If you under set sag to allow for a softer ride, which I take as reducing preload, means you are actually using up more travel when you sit on the bike vs less.
Good point -
I appreciate all comments on this guys, and the help "thinking it through". Greg, Bob, Chuck, Russ ............. and yes, AL.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII