The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 08:28 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,336 Likes on 3,578 Posts

A friend of mine wants to buy my FXR. My wife thinks I should sell it. I bought it used but it only had 1100 miles on it so it was practically brand new. It is hard to part with something that you have had and enjoyed for 35 years. Lots of good memories with that motorcycle. It was the only bike I had until 2012. My friend is a retired aviation mechanic who worked for the airline industry his whole life. He has a couple bikes and likes the old-ish stuff to tinker on. It is a good fit for him and if I had to sell it he is the kind of person I would want owning it. I used to love wrenching on it but these days I just take things to the shop. I feel a sad day coming on.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:29 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Morning Bob! You know, we have a bunch of the heavy duty wood hangars for our heavy coats after cleaning out various relatives homes and stopped purchasing the cheap plastic ones, opting instead for the ultra duty plastic ones which seem to fare better being abused.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:30 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Don't do it Jeff, it’s a trap!

Old 12-08-2021, 08:34 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonebender
A friend of mine wants to buy my FXR. My wife thinks I should sell it. I bought it used but it only had 1100 miles on it so it was practically brand new. It is hard to part with something that you have had and enjoyed for 35 years. Lots of good memories with that motorcycle. It was the only bike I had until 2012. My friend is a retired aviation mechanic who worked for the airline industry his whole life. He has a couple bikes and likes the old-ish stuff to tinker on. It is a good fit for him and if I had to sell it he is the kind of person I would want owning it. I used to love wrenching on it but these days I just take things to the shop. I feel a sad day coming on.
I wouldn't unless you need the money. A FXR is money in the bank. Think of it as a nice piece of artwork that appreciates in value and can be sold when you want to cash it in. I have an old Honda Dream that just sits on a stand in the garage. I'll ride it maybe 50 miles a year. It will only go up in value so no point in selling as I like to look at it.

Originally Posted by Juan L
Morning Bob! You know, we have a bunch of the heavy duty wood hangars for our heavy coats after cleaning out various relatives homes and stopped purchasing the cheap plastic ones, opting instead for the ultra duty plastic ones which seem to fare better being abused.
No plastic!

I buy the ten packs of wood hangars from Home Depot. They're about a buck a piece I believe.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:41 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
Morning Chris, I was just sooooo excited that you noticed me!
What? My dad revolves around seeing you! Especially from 256ft AGL and half a mile away.

I'm going to look into the wooden hangers now. The plastic ones don't hold my gear well. I'm a jacket whoer and need some better hangers.

Jeff, if you need the money, sell it. The FXR is a super cool bike and you've had it a long time. I wouldn't sell if I were you, but that's my opinion. My Springer is collecting more dust than she's ever seen, and still not for sale.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 08:42 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,207 Likes on 9,691 Posts

My bikes stay until I cant ride, and longer. I always say everything is for sale, at the right price. If you're willing to pay my price, you'll take care of em

Old 12-08-2021, 09:13 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
What? My dad revolves around seeing you! Especially from 256ft AGL and half a mile away.

I'm going to look into the wooden hangers now. The plastic ones don't hold my gear well. I'm a jacket whoer and need some better hangers.

Jeff, if you need the money, sell it. The FXR is a super cool bike and you've had it a long time. I wouldn't sell if I were you, but that's my opinion. My Springer is collecting more dust than she's ever seen, and still not for sale.

Wood is real!

The Springer bikes will also go up in value. I wouldn't sell either. I wish I still had my Bad Boy. But I did make a lot of $$ on it.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:17 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Jeff, go through all the mental gymnastics on selling the FXR, which will make you feel better about selling it. Then...Do NOT sell it because at some future point you will regret it. I occasionally think about selling the Heritage Springer, I haven't ridden it in 3 years but I do love just looking at it. I can probably get 50% over what I paid for it. I don't need the money and there isn't another bike i would consider replacing it with. I go through this a couple times a year with it...

NoRegerts (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:24 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,296 Likes on 6,040 Posts

I wish I was in a position to have another bike. It would be a Sportster. I just loved my old Sporty....especially around town. But storage is an issue and not sure the wifey would understand!!

NoRegerts (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:29 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I wish I was in a position to have another bike. It would be a Sportster. I just loved my old Sporty....especially around town. But storage is an issue and not sure the wifey would understand!!
She wouldn't understand the storage issue? Take a crap in the shower while she's doing her hair, then explain that if you had more storage, the other bike would be needed to fill it. It makes no sense, I get it, but women...

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII