The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 11:02 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
Morning Tim and Bob, good to see you both survived the morning bannings.
I feel like a slacker now.....

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
I'll ask here since I value your opinions. Tanya (like Tucker) is taking the MSF course in a few weeks. Actually, five weeks. She's had here eye on a Sportster for years and has started actively looking recently. I would prefer a 2014 to present since they have ABS. I think a V star or something might be good too, but HD are easy to find parts for and I know them well.

Seems the market isn't offering fantastic deals on anything, but we're scouring CL and FB market. Going to a dealer doesn't seem to present much benefit I can see. If I find something this afternoon I wouldn't drop the coin, not yet. Just planning but in preparation for a purchase.
Why does anyone think a Sportster is a good bike for a beginner and/or a woman?? It's not. It's not a light bike. It's a bit top heavy. It vibrates.(okay, so maybe a positive). But most of all, it has a slack fork rake making turning not as easy or intuitive as a bike with a steeper steering head angle. My sister, who is tall, had a Sportster as her first bike and it was a miserable experience for her for the reason stated above. I'm not saying the Sportster is a bad bike. It isn't. But I feel it's for a more experienced rider contrary to popular opinion. Shocking I know.

My sister ended up buying a Suzuki GS500 to get better acquainted with riding and that bike worked great - much easier to ride. That would be a good starter bike for not too much $$. Then she ended up trading the Sportster in on a Heritage which has that steeper steering rake - much much easier for her. Which is not to say it's the right bike for Tanya. It isn't. Too heavy and expensive. And I'm not convinced a V-star or any other "cruiser" type bike is appropriate either for the same steering issue.

Originally Posted by Juan L
Chris, given that she is short in stature, I’d look for one of those Street 500’s, they have a low seat. They seem pretty pricey considering what they are though.
Cheryl is a relatively new rider and the XG500 was the bike she did the course on. It worked very well for her, so you are correct - great choice. I've seen them go for as low as $3500. The XG750 would be similar. That said, I'm not a fan "just because". The Moto Guzzi V7 is of similar dimension to the XG500 and Cheryl liked it so that's what we got. They can be had for as low as $4000. It's a great bike and Cheryl enjoys it. Parts are easy to get and I do most of the work myself so the "rarity" of the V7 isn't an issue for us.

The following users liked this post:
Imold (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:17 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
...so the "rarity" of the V7 isn't an issue for us.
Not to mention how well they clean with only a Scotch Bright scouring sponge.

nevada72 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:30 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,336 Likes on 3,578 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
Thank you Jeff and everyone with input. If my Softail wern't a tricked out Springer, it might be a stepping stone, but that bike wants to kill those that ride it lol. .............
True here too. I thought my Springer would make a nice option for my wife as well but she sat on it, got the feel of the bike's balance and got back off without riding it. Even though it is a softail it is not the same. As much as I love my Springer it is the most ill handling motorcycle I have ever owned.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Cheryl is a relatively new rider and the XG500 was the bike she did the course on. It worked very well for her, so you are correct - great choice. I've seen them go for as low as $3500. The XG750 would be similar. That said, I'm not a fan "just because". The Moto Guzzi V7 is of similar dimension to the XG500 and Cheryl liked it so that's what we got. They can be had for as low as $4000. It's a great bike and Cheryl enjoys it. Parts are easy to get and I do most of the work myself so the "rarity" of the V7 isn't an issue for us.
The real critical issue here folks, is can Tanya (like Tucker) wear her cut, while riding a Suzzy ?

nevada72 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:52 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
The real critical issue here folks, is can Tanya (like Tucker) wear her cut, while riding a Suzzy ?
...and will Chris sport a 'Property of Tanya, like Tucker' cut?

Old 11-02-2021, 12:17 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Don't you have to earn that patch through rigorous trial ?
Might be thinking of something else ....

Old 11-02-2021, 12:18 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't you have to earn that patch through rigorous trial ?
Might be thinking of something else ....
rigorous trial? They are married....the defense rests, Your Honor.

NoRegerts (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:20 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

I'm thinking the hbv knows no boundaries.

Juan L (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't you have to earn that patch through rigorous trial ? Might be thinking of something else ....
rigorous trial? They are married....the defense rests, Your Honor.
I'm thinking the hbv knows no boundaries.
I dunno Bob, we all seem to have thrown a Monkey Wrench into an otherwise well-oiled system and rank -

The following 2 users liked this post by Northern Glide:
nevada72 (11-02-2021), NoRegerts (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:59 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Geez fellas! I go to lunch and come back to... Well, nothing I didn't expect.

She jokes that I'll be wearing her name on my cut when she gets a bike and seems to think I'll ride bitch with her. That's cute, I outweigh her, but I'd like to see her try. As far as the cut on a "Suzzy" no but that's irrelevant. I want her to be able to ride something she can handle and not get hurt. Everything else is secondary to that. Hence the reasons I asked you guys, you're a wealth of knowledge. All knowledge. We should have a thread about it!

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII