The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Old 07-26-2021, 11:53 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

My blood sugar is slightly below the normal range, I think 14g of carbs from a Dos Equis Amber should do the trick. After all, its better than candy, right?

Old 07-26-2021, 12:41 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Good luck Stan. I've decided to ride this ship to the bottom of the ocean and deal with it when I have to - hopefully by retiring.
Sometimes you just have too much financial future at risk to jump ship too early. Some pensions get eviscerated before age 62, loss of company insurance, can impact social security, lot to consider. I wanted to leave my job in my 50's, even shopped around to see what else I could get, but nothing added up to better than dismal for retirement prospects except sticking with it till 62. Wasn't entirely sure that was going to work well, but its worked out ok so far. Way too many people have lost jobs too late to start over in the past several years, see folks my age and older doing entry level jobs now, makes me feel really fortunate I was able to retire.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Mornin, Woods. My beautiful bride has returned from her girls gone wild weekend. I am happy to report that other than driving a phillips screwdriver completely through my hand my unsupervised time came off without a hitch.
That tops my putting a drill through my thumbnail. Many years ago, I try to limit myself to scratches now.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:50 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,070 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Sometimes you just have too much financial future at risk to jump ship too early. Some pensions get eviscerated before age 62, loss of company insurance, can impact social security, lot to consider. I wanted to leave my job in my 50's, even shopped around to see what else I could get, but nothing added up to better than dismal for retirement prospects except sticking with it till 62. Wasn't entirely sure that was going to work well, but its worked out ok so far. Way too many people have lost jobs too late to start over in the past several years, see folks my age and older doing entry level jobs now, makes me feel really fortunate I was able to retire.
All of that. And I also factor that it may very well not be any better somewhere else. Not too many jobs are perfect. I at least have a great boss and decent pay and benefits. The fact that the business plan is doomed to fail is a concern however. It's not if, it's when. And then what happens to me when that happens? But I know they pay a health severance so I'll have some time to figure it out.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:50 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
I enjoyed this project with the kiddo. Had to resist jumping in and doing it myself. Also realizing no one showed me how to do this and why my first few projects looked like crap.
I think the last one I had was a mostly metal, but still put together like a plastic one, car kit that I never started on. That, and a partially finished complicated seaplane model are still around somewhere, just never wanted to let go of them even though I haven't really had any interest in models for a long time. Don't even remember what state I lived in when I got them. My 12 year old grandson wasn't interested, maybe the 2 year old will be someday.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:53 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,696 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
I enjoyed this project with the kiddo. Had to resist jumping in and doing it myself. Also realizing no one showed me how to do this and why my first few projects looked like crap.

'72 Gran Torino Sport ? Maybe a Talladega version ?

Old 07-26-2021, 01:08 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Juan L
Currently enjoying the medley of tunes offered by the KitchenAid service center. ……
I think I got lucky, the $800 Frigidaire I got last year has exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't trade it for the considerably more expensive one my daughter has. Like the interior layout better than any I've used and even though a little smaller, holds more food because it's designed so much better than the horrible Kenmore it replaced. That one was in the kitchen one day when I came home and I hated it from day one. When the ex wanted something, there usually wasn't any prior discussion... Ironically, Carol had a slighty larger version of the Kenmore I had, and replaced it with the same new one I got when she saw mine.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:10 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,696 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Well Bob FWIW, I'm riding that train for another 6 months using the COBRA coverage from Cindy's former employer before she retired. I'd recommend that you very, very carefully review any medical plan cuz the one I have doesn't cover ****. In-network, out-of-network, blah, blah blah, they find some reason not to pay. If you're looking at drawing SS the non-covered medical can eat you alive with a lower fixed income. Plus if you draw too much income over the SS limit, they will ding your future earnings. Spend some time talking with someone very knowledgeable about early retirement and the limitations. Here's another consideration - Dad worked for Ford all of his career, when the company got in financial trouble his "lifetime" benefits were taken away. If the ship is sinking beware that they may toss you and your "package" aside.

If Cheryl is working and covered, you can probably get better coverage through her than the open market. I would guess regions are different and that may not be true but at the time we were shopping it was .... Good luck Bud !!

Heal up Mick.

Last edited by rizzo; 07-26-2021 at 01:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 01:10 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaThiele
My blood sugar is slightly below the normal range, I think 14g of carbs from a Dos Equis Amber should do the trick. After all, its better than candy, right?
I believe quicker is the term you are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
PapaThiele (07-26-2021)

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII