The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,841 Likes on 19,330 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
haha....Listening to a new CD by Ronnie Dunn...REDUNN . A lot of older songs . really good CD. give it a listen
I like some of their work ... Especially "Neon Moon"

Old 04-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
@nevada72

Bob, I can only find one place that seems to have the Progressives in stock with the HD springs and they're $679. Amazon, Revzilla, Etc. all out. DennisKirk is the only place that seems to have them.

Edit: The more research I do suggests SD instead of the HD based on my weight, and adjust preload for when Tanya rides. I really don't know...
Step 1
Get the correct rate springs for for forks based on your weight.
https://racetech.com/index.aspx

Step 2
Set your fork oil height correctly using this. NOTE: 5 or 10 weight fork oil. 5 rebounds faster, 10 is slower. You can adjust this as well using 1/4” increments. Raising or lowering the level is another adjustment point.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...e0Q0Qx6BAgDEAE

Step 3
Buy some good shocks that have adjustable preload. Ohlins are very nice.

The following users liked this post:
NoRegerts (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 08:46 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Mornin Woods! Meetings all day.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:37 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

46 DAYS TO WS!!!

That is all...

Old 04-20-2021, 09:40 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,070 Likes on 12,185 Posts

@nevada72

Bob, I can only find one place that seems to have the Progressives in stock with the HD springs and they're $679. Amazon, Revzilla, Etc. all out. DennisKirk is the only place that seems to have them.

Edit: The more research I do suggests SD instead of the HD based on my weight, and adjust preload for when Tanya rides. I really don't know...

Edit again: Seeing everything you have posted about the shocks, you strongly recommend the HDs and have valid reasons for doing so.
Originally Posted by Juan L
Step 1
Get the correct rate springs for for forks based on your weight.
https://racetech.com/index.aspx

Step 2
Set your fork oil height correctly using this. NOTE: 5 or 10 weight fork oil. 5 rebounds faster, 10 is slower. You can adjust this as well using 1/4” increments. Raising or lowering the level is another adjustment point.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...e0Q0Qx6BAgDEAE

Step 3
Buy some good shocks that have adjustable preload. Ohlins are very nice.
Chris, as mentioned, you are right on the border on this one. To me it comes down to this - what percentage of time will Tanya be on the bike? If it's 50% or more, I would do the SDs. To ease Tanya's mind on this, Cheryl is a fly weight and we are close to that dividing line as well. The HDs work great for us and have a lot of range for loaded touring. I honestly think the HDs will be fine for you because - A - you don't run a tourpack which puts a lot of leverage on the suspension, and B - I don't think Tanya rides with you 50% or more. In the end, either choice will be infinitely better than stock.

On Russ's words -

Progressive does list spring rates but they name them "standard", "Heavy Duty", and "Super Duty". Personally I think that nomenclature is a mistake because it's rough if your wife thinks you need "super duty" shocks because she's riding along. But if they understood bikes, they would get that "standard" is for the average male on an average bike, i.e 200 pounds on a bare Street Glide. And that's factoring weight range so up to 200 lbs - not over. Add a few pounds of rider, a passenger, and luggage and you're in "super duty" range regardless of passenger weight. As far as adjustability, they have only preload and the damping is fixed. They have some fancy name for the valve they use and I will say, it works well for me.

On Ohlins - not a fan of those on Harleys. I don't think they have those figured out. I had some from our notorious vendor on HDF and they were just ok. They had preload and rebound damping adjustments. I played with those for a long time to adjust them to be comfortable and it never happened. My spring rates were correct and I know how to set up a suspension. Been doing it for years. Maybe the higher end ones with remote reservoirs are better but to me it's a case of the Emperor's New Clothes in that everyone is gushing about them here on HDF, but the reality isn't the same. I've corresponded with at least a dozen members here who are reformed Ohlins users. The story is always the same - "I heard they were the best, but they were a disappointment." But then again, there are people who love them and that's all they buy. Personally, I have crossed them off my HD list (But I like them for other brands). If I went in a different direction from Progressive it would be Super Shox, Racetech, or JRI in that order.

On forks - I agree that fluid can make a big difference. I changed mine out to the "Screamin Eagle" type, which is heavier (10 weight I'm guessing). It really made a difference.

NoRegerts (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:43 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaThiele
Mornin Woods! Meetings all day.
You and Al....the busy executive life.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:51 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
You and Al....the busy executive life.
Not me ! I'm going up the lake for the day....by myself.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:53 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
Not me ! I'm going up the lake for the day....by myself.
...so I can have quiet during my executive strategy planning session for Diamond L's upcoming quarter.

Al, please finish your thoughts so we don't wonder.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:54 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Rick. Godspeed, Brother.
46 DAYS TO WS!!!

That is all...
Looking forward to meeting you in person, same with Mick...and seeing Russ, Greg and others again. It's been too long since I've seen any Woods.

Also, your visit will be a good warmup for the neighbors & police leading up to my cousins, sister & BIL visiting 2 weeks later.

NoRegerts (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
...so I can have quiet during my executive strategy planning session for Diamond L's upcoming quarter.

Al, please finish your thoughts so we don't wonder.
I'm sorry, I just naturally assumed you'd know why I was going....see ya later

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII