The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 09:53 AM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing 2014
Mike, I put in a request for warmer weather the week I go home to see my parents 😎.
Chuck are you flying home or driving?

Old 02-17-2021, 10:27 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
One entire wall of the bathroom in our bedroom is a closet....with 3 floor to ceiling sliding mirrored doors.
My last house in Phoenix had 6' closets on either side of a hallway from the master bedroom to the bath, with mirrored sliding doors. Infinity mirrors on either side of you, front and back views if so desired. Looked neat seeing dozens of a nekkid wife walking back from the bathroom. She was nice to look at back then...

The following users liked this post:
iRider (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:11 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
We'll head down there soon and look around. But now we're considering plan A again, which is to buy a condo in Scottsdale and snowbird. It would actually cost me less.
My last Arizona house had a Scottsdale address, though it was actually about a mile into north Phoenix. When I lived there in the 70's and 80's, traffic in Scottsdale was near gridlock at rush hour, just incredibly slow other times; I tried to avoid the place. I suspect it's still overpriced compared to similar accommodations in other areas around Phoenix. Phoenix spent a fortune finally building some decent roads in the 90's, so hopefully the 5 to 10 mile long traffic jams are history. In the winter traffic would 3 or 4 times heavier with snowbirds, and my 12 mile commute could take over an hour. Between the winter traffic and the summer heat, I actually preferred the graveyard shift. Took years of seniority to get it, though.

If I wanted a home in AZ, I think I'd pick Prescott. I would consider that a decent year round place to live, weather wise. Occasionally gets some snow, but will have at least some riding days in every month, doesn't have the blistering heat Phoenix and suburbs have in summer. Lot of good riding in the area, pretty much all the shopping and amenities you'd need, no need for trips to Phoenix like many of the smaller AZ towns. Off topic - Phoenix had a far better shopping selection of anything than Minnesota has today when I moved there in '73. Been many times since moving here I wished some of the Phoenix tool and building supply stores were here, too. Of course, back then most of it was American made, could make a difference I suppose.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:58 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Morning Woods.

So my wife and I just unto this discussion. An unicorn looks correct because the word starts with a vowel, but spoken, I've always said a unicorn. It flows better. But technically, the way you have it right, I think. But it begs the question; is it "a" or "an" based on the letter being a vowel or a consonant or the way it sounds? In this example, the u in unicorn SOUNDS like a consonant, so in speech, with thinking I would say, "a unicorn."

The cold does weird things to a man. And before we get off in the weeds about why I say, "unicorn" at all, Emily is super girly and likes unicorns and rainbows and candy and the colour pink. She has rainbow Crocs.
Or this: an honor. If the world wanted to pick the simplest existing language for a universal one, it would be Spanish, not English, but English is actually the closest thing to universal now, thanks to the internet. With these console games where people all over the world join in, the kids pretty much all use English when there are participants speaking different home languages. My nephew showed me a new game online game once, when he logged into a session we heard Chinese chatter, but he asked if he could join, they all immediately switched to English; he said that's what usually happens if they're not speaking English already.

Unicorns, whatever happened to dinosaurs are a kid's favorite? At least my grandsons like dinosaurs better. But granddaugher...

I didn't realize how many unicorn things she has till I looked for a photo. And there's plenty more.

The following 3 users liked this post by Imold:
DanHappy (02-18-2021), iRider (02-17-2021), NoRegerts (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 12:23 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,070 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
My last Arizona house had a Scottsdale address, though it was actually about a mile into north Phoenix. When I lived there in the 70's and 80's, traffic in Scottsdale was near gridlock at rush hour, just incredibly slow other times; I tried to avoid the place. I suspect it's still overpriced compared to similar accommodations in other areas around Phoenix. Phoenix spent a fortune finally building some decent roads in the 90's, so hopefully the 5 to 10 mile long traffic jams are history. In the winter traffic would 3 or 4 times heavier with snowbirds, and my 12 mile commute could take over an hour. Between the winter traffic and the summer heat, I actually preferred the graveyard shift. Took years of seniority to get it, though.

If I wanted a home in AZ, I think I'd pick Prescott. I would consider that a decent year round place to live, weather wise. Occasionally gets some snow, but will have at least some riding days in every month, doesn't have the blistering heat Phoenix and suburbs have in summer. Lot of good riding in the area, pretty much all the shopping and amenities you'd need, no need for trips to Phoenix like many of the smaller AZ towns. Off topic - Phoenix had a far better shopping selection of anything than Minnesota has today when I moved there in '73. Been many times since moving here I wished some of the Phoenix tool and building supply stores were here, too. Of course, back then most of it was American made, could make a difference I suppose.
The prices in Scottsdale and surrounding area are actually somewhat better than NC. For starters, the property taxes are very low. Aside from that we like the architecture. Faux adobe home with 3 car garage, pool, pool house, and on an acre for right around $500K is fairly easy to find. Had we looked into this sooner, we might have chosen Scottsdale over NC. But now we have 2 candidates that will cover that area so I don't want to mess with my boss by telling him I've changed my mind and I want the West. He would probably do it, but in the end I don't want to live in AZ during the summer anyway. We can get a condo for around $200K near old town and be very happy for 3 months there and 9 months in Wisconsin.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:27 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

That's so cute Mike! Yeah she's a girly girl alright. My other one (Layla 14) like anime and skulls and cats. The little one is all about rainbows and unicorns. A couple weeks back I was sitting with Emily watching the girl on YouTube painting her shoes all rainbow too. I can't escape it. As, even though you guys make fun, my favorite guitar pick is my rainbow one because she liked me using it to play with. I just got my wife to order them in the right weight for my style.

It's so weird looking back at photos and seeing how much she's changed and grown. There's even one video of her from a few years back that brings tears of joy to my eyes when I see it.

Motorcycles are a close second to that feeling.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:29 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 02-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by gs34doc
Dang, Lots of us listened to a lot of him. RIP Rush -

Old 02-17-2021, 12:55 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

G'Afternoon, Woods

Moldie, great pics of the little ones. The little guy has the look that makes the horns on his hat seem appropriate.

The following users liked this post:
Imold (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:00 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

My wife was so "accommodating" about getting a pup, that I bought her a mug....from the Dollar Store. I'm just too good to that woman...

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII