The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 01:50 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

As far as bags, I was looking at these two options:
Nelson Rigg
https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycl...ination-detail
Viking Bags
https://www.vikingbags.com/back-rest...-1540-prd1.htm

nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,070 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Tanya will go on trips to San Antonio at the furthest for the foreseeable future. Between the kids and dogs, she won't go far without them and definitely not over night. The bike is mostly a ME thing.

No engine guard. I thought it was weird too, but none of them had it. Ultra and CVOs and the like, not the RG or SGs. They're not too expensive and I would like to throw my feet up. Grace is all about style and being cool. This one is about not being sore as hell after 2 hours on it.

Those part numbers were all supposed to work together and be for my bike. I'll keep shopping around, but wanted to make sure I was on the right track, so I appreciate the input.
Originally Posted by OKMICK
Bob, are they are standard. Previous owner must have removed them. Never looked when Chris posted pic

Yeah, Mick is right. That is a standard item. I would call the dealer and ask if they will give you one. I know the deal is done but they may work with you on that. You definitely want one. And yes, highway pegs for sure. First thing I put on any bike.

Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Prices on those parts aren't too bad compared to aftermarket, but a lot of Harley parts are ridiculously priced. If strength matters, I go Harley, but I've bought some aftermarket, like brake pads, that I thought were better even though they were a lot cheaper (Lyndall and EBC). My very long refurb on the Tour Glide will need about $3000 in parts, and so far the list is around half aftermarket, but only American made with plenty of reviews saying better quality, like the stator brand I can't remember at the moment. I'll probably stick with Harley on the belt pullies, don't know which, if any, aftermarket are as good and many of those even cost more than Harley. One thing I do get from Harley without bothering to compare prices anymore is fasteners, Harley seems to get good stuff, and surprisingly usually cheaper than Ace hardware, the only store in the area I've found that doesn't have all chinese stuff. Brands like Kuryakin I don't even look at, too much of their stuff is Chinese. Even though they don't last as long (some reviews, true?), I've decided to go with Harley engine mounts, too. I'd sure like to put a Baker 6 speed in it, but the bike wouldn't be worth a dime more for an investment that would more than double the parts list price. Baker with an S&S, probably as reliable as a Harley could get. The S&S is currently mounted on 2x4s, not doing much good there. I should bring it in the house so I could do something with it, but I need to paint the frame before putting parts back on, not going to do that in the house. All this thinking about it makes me want to take a nap, but it's getting past lunchtime. Enough mental wandering for now.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:53 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Nelson Rigg
Viking Bags
I'm not familiar with Viking but Nelson Rigg is good stuff.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:57 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay, well I guess they were taken off. Nearly every one I saw there that wasn't a full dresser didn't have them. Makes me wonder if they took them off themselves.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:01 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Great, now I'm sitting here steaming lol. I called the dealer and they're "going to see" what they have lying around.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:12 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Great, now I'm sitting here steaming lol. I called the dealer and they're "going to see" what they have lying around.
Just play it nice. They don't have to do anything at this point. But maybe they'll do you a solid and get you one.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:16 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

I am. They are "looking" and said they'd call me back. I guess I've looked at so many over the past few months, mostly in the used market, that I didn't realize they were a standard item. Most I saw didn't have them. Makes me wonder if the dealers pull them off to increase sales on parts or something. IDK. I'm still mad...

Old 02-05-2021, 02:21 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

I shot an email to someone in the classifieds that has a takeoff for $20. It's from a 14. I believe that will fit. If not stop me now. I don't even know if they still have it.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:29 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Nelson Rigg
Viking Bags
I have that general style, looks more like the Viking but has a front storage pocket instead of that backrest pad. I always have something soft I can put in the front pocket, makes a bigger pad than the Viking has. Several brands make bags like that, forget what brand I have, not marked on the bag. I just remember it was one of the big brands with lots of different style bags. Only thing about a tail bag, mine anyway, that I'm not crazy about is with the fairly small bottom contact patch and their height, they wiggle around if you don't get them tied down better than the straps on mine will do, but a few extra bungie straps fixes that. I really like mine, mounted in front of the sissy bar on the seat it makes a good backrest.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII