The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:05 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,069 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
Great Golf Course pic - can't wait until they're green again. The grass that is ....not the wimmens.
Since I'm a kind of a tight-*** about most things excepting motorcycles, I used some new, old stock straight runs of 1/2" K from the old house mini-remodels, but will use poly going up through the floor. My sweat joints are amateurish, but brings back memories of helping a plumber part time in high school, when I wasn't farming. He taught me how to properly swear, sweat and bought me 12-packs at 15. What a great guy he was !
My old man was a steamfitter. He taught me how to sweat joints and I got pretty good at it. I've done a lot of plumbing on my homes. Lately I have gotten very lazy and I've been using Shark-bite fittings. I'm not 100% sold on their longevity, but I only use them in exposed applications so I can replace if necessary.

As far as plumbers go, I would go this route -

Originally Posted by RKGDCG03
I have a Mustang solo seat with the built in backrest and the matching pillion. Been using this seat for almost 16 years. Saddle man is good too.

Hey Rob! How's the back!

I have the rider's backrest on the Mustang as well. It really extends the ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
DanHappy (02-02-2021), Northern Glide (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:15 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Mongo like your plumber above, and Shark Bites, for the poly portion !

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (02-02-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:17 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Chris, you're getting good advice, pay attention to it. I'll tell you what I did with the Ultra to give you something to think about. I have never had a passenger on my bike, my wife won't ride so that doesn't come into play. First, I hate the TourPack. I think it's ugly and looks like an after thought that ruins the lines of the bike, It puts 45lbs hanging off the back and makes it harder to get on and off the bike. Just my opinion. Mine came off the day after I got the Ultra. At the time, HD didn't make a removeable kit ,Turn signals are in the TP. I got a RK brake and light bar unit and modified it to fit so I could remove the TP. TP only went on for week long trips, rest of the time bike resembled a SG. The reason I tell is you're probably not going to be using a TP all the time.

The Ultra seat was horrible for me (6'1"-6'2"), my nutz felt like they were on the gas tank. It was on for 5 mile trip home from the dealer. I tried the HD "tall Boy" demo seat and it was worse. I kept sliding forward. At 6', you may want to consider a "Tall seat"..I bought a 2 piece Ultimate seat and loved it. I didn't want two different seats...one for solo riding and a different one for when TP was on and had to fill gap between back of solo seat and TP. My *** would always be in the same seat. You may want to consider getting a two piece. When my BIL got his Fuglee (he's 6') I gave him my seat for a day. He came home and ordered the same seat. I still have the seat setup with passenger seat and rider backrest. We can talk.

Just a couple things for you to consider before you jump in and start spending a bunch of money. I agree with Bob on buying the HD bracket and mounts for the TP. You don't need questionable quality stuff breaking down on a trip.

The following 2 users liked this post by BARACU:
DanHappy (02-02-2021), NoRegerts (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:19 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Bob, do you have that plumber's name. My plumbing needs work! The house plumbing is OK...

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:38 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,069 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
Chris, you're getting good advice, pay attention to it. I'll tell you what I did with the Ultra to give you something to think about. I have never had a passenger on my bike, my wife won't ride so that doesn't come into play. First, I hate the TourPack. I think it's ugly and looks like an after thought that ruins the lines of the bike, It puts 45lbs hanging off the back and makes it harder to get on and off the bike. Just my opinion. Mine came off the day after I got the Ultra. At the time, HD didn't make a removeable kit ,Turn signals are in the TP. I got a RK brake and light bar unit and modified it to fit so I could remove the TP. TP only went on for week long trips, rest of the time bike resembled a SG. The reason I tell is you're probably not going to be using a TP all the time.

The Ultra seat was horrible for me (6'1"-6'2"), my nutz felt like they were on the gas tank. It was on for 5 mile trip home from the dealer. I tried the HD "tall Boy" demo seat and it was worse. I kept sliding forward. At 6', you may want to consider a "Tall seat"..I bought a 2 piece Ultimate seat and loved it. I didn't want two different seats...one for solo riding and a different one for when TP was on and had to fill gap between back of solo seat and TP. My *** would always be in the same seat. You may want to consider getting a two piece. When my BIL got his Fuglee (he's 6') I gave him my seat for a day. He came home and ordered the same seat. I still have the seat setup with passenger seat and rider backrest. We can talk.

Just a couple things for you to consider before you jump in and start spending a bunch of money. I agree with Bob on buying the HD bracket and mounts for the TP. You don't need questionable quality stuff breaking down on a trip.
You're right Al, that tourpack adds a lot of weight up high. Which had much to do with my decision to change to the Street Glide from the Ultra Classic I had. I wanted to remove it when we weren't traveling. I didn't want the hard lowers either.

But for traveling, there is no beating one imo. Even when I head somewhere solo I attach it. For WS19 I just took it off and put it up in my room for the local rides.

Which reminds me - Chris, you would also want the locking quick release latches. Last thing you want is your $1000+ worth of tourpack quick releasing into someone's trunk when you are parked somewhere.

The problem with a 2 piece seat on a denim bike is the vibration makes shiny spots so when you remove the pillion section, it will reveal those spots. Unless they have some way to protect the fender that I wasn't aware of.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:45 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
🤔
I was having trouble navigating the HD site on my phone, the Amazon stuff was a place holder for parts identification. They're already removed. That seat looks like a great shape and I have bookmarked the site and will look into them. I'm not sold on any one thing. Also, before I spend a dime I'm going to get a 200-300 mile ride in first. The idea of the two piece seat is a good one. Even my bones is solo MOST of the time. I like the stock seat but for her it will have to be changed and it isn't an option.

Tanya will not be spending a lot of time for long rides with me. She won't even spend the night at a bed and breakfast I got reservations for. Between the kids and the dogs, she's not comfortable leaving them. But I enjoy getting her on short trips. So a tour pack may be overkill if my experience is the same as yours. Also, I would only have it for longer trips. My normal riding includes runs to Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. Possibly Dallas, for club meetings. They are not mandatory, but I enjoy them.

So, I'll check out that seat and I trust your recommendations, so it's in the lead.. The tall boy would be in the running and a backrest would be nice too.

As always, I really appreciate the input from you guys and this is new to me. Never done a bagger. I'm not planning on modding it with tunes and wheels and other crap. The minimum comfort changes is all I want and I knew that going in.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:53 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
The problem with a 2 piece seat on a denim bike is the vibration makes shiny spots so when you remove the pillion section, it will reveal those spots. Unless they have some way to protect the fender that I wasn't aware of.
Not that I am aware of. I'd make a fancy tooled leather bib to cover the paint when solo. At least, that was my thought. I prefer the look of a clean fender than a huge pillion when solo, even if it was yucky in a spot lol.

On the bones I used painters tape with electrical tape where the pads were so when I went solo I took it off and it was fine. Worked great for about 5 years until in a sandstorm, grit got under there and got the paint.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,698 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Chris, I saw a stock 2016 Road King seat (take off ) $175.00 + shipping on eBay. I have a 2014 also. I would go with the Harley brand tour pac hardware, just order it from Surdyke HD , 20% off list.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:04 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Bob, the factory TP setup weighs 45lbs. To me, it threw the whole balance of the bikeoff since I was used to riding without it. I would take it off when we got to where we were going like to NC for WS? Doc and my BIL did the same thing when we went to NH. I finally changed it to a solo mount setup. TP sat right behind me with weight right over the rear axle. Bike handled just like I didn't even have a TP on...I hated that thing! I had a Mustang rear fender bib on the bike. It was cheap and thin. I'd put the seat right over the bib. There are some really nice custom bibs out there. Found one guy that makes them but he doesn't answer his emails. Apparently only FaceBook and I don't do FB. Will have to do it through my wife's.
Doc showed me a good trick so the quick releases don't accidentally release...zip tied them.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:14 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Chris. on my '14 Ultra, the TP is only bolted on with 4 bolts. I'm guessing a '20 would be the same. Look at the chrome fender bracket between between the fender and the saddlebags. There should be a narrow piece of chrome set in the top. Look at the side of the bracket for two torx bolts. The little trim pieces come out when you take the torx bolts out .The factory fixed TP mount fits in the opening and bolts hold it on place. Before I got the solo quick release, I would just take the bolts out and remove the TP and mount ....five minutes. You can probably weld up your own TP bracket and cost you nothing.

Last edited by BARACU; 01-31-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII