The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 11:45 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Glide
Thanks Moldie ! Good info. Appreciated.
I did hear that the TOAK overnight parking fee can be quite significant though ........
A case or two of beer and they'll probably forget to collect.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:48 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan L
Is this the guy?

That is Clay Barton, just retired as Chief Deputy, 2nd to the Sheriff. Awesome guy.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:55 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Howdy Chris !

Old 01-11-2021, 12:15 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by mentalite
Afternoon, Gents.

New guy here. My name is Bill.

I want to participate so think that I should be brought up to speed on the rules and culture.....
  • TOAK...I expected to find deep philosophical discussions, but instead found in-depth conversation on vacuum cleaners. I have a wall mounted shop vac. It has umpteen horsepower, too.
  • What is the story behind the "Woods"? And am I allowed to use it?
  • Why does Juan L have so many names? Russ and Raoul that I've seen so far.
Thanks.

Have fun today, whatever you're doing.

Welcome Bill!

I'll drop a line to the TOAK historian for you but the short version is this, there was once a thread complaining about post counts and the people who drive theirs up like COAC (Chikin' on a Chain) used to do. All of us individually joined the scrum and eventually started our own thread dedicated to Postabating (post whoring), nearly nekkids and being a 2% Intenet Motorcycle Club. This is the 13th TOAK as when we used to get around 50K or so posts, the HDF software would start glitching. Seems as if it's been fixed now and we are continuing strong. The "Woods" became what we called ourselves since Lou, one of our Leftist Coast members said with his final post in the genesis thread "Peckerwoods". Now we realize that there is already a club with that name and we don't want to become confused with them so yes, we are a 2% IMC, or Internet Motorcycle Club.

Anyway, most of us have met at one point or another, we have annual meetups in various places around the US where you can ride in, trailer to or just show up and drive behind the group after drinking 17 beers that morning. We realize we aren't everyone's cup of tea and are not offended if you don't find what you need here. So far, we have met in Colorado, Arkansas, South Dakota and Maggie Valley, NC. We are planning a get together for June in Hill City, SD again.

Why do I have so many names? Well, back in the early days of our threads, Izzo used to spank us pretty hard and I was a regular target as I apparently had poor prescriptions for my eyewear. Izzo didn't buy it either and regularly gave me violations for posting inappropriate material. He couldn't remember my name and used to call me Raoul and several others so the guys just keep it up. I used to have a different user name here but after I ascended to the lofty heights of Moderator, I had to change it because one of our former HDF members liked to dox people and was a real ***.

The range of our conversations is quite varied. While I am jealous of your massively over-powered wall mounted vacuum, I am satisfied with the one my wife uses. HA!

Anyway, enjoy your stay, talk to the folks around here. Tell us about yourself and post a picture of your bike.

@mentalite

Last edited by Juan L; 01-11-2021 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Juan L:
DanHappy (01-11-2021), soft 02 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 12:16 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
That is Clay Barton, just retired as Chief Deputy, 2nd to the Sheriff. Awesome guy.
Just working my way through the staff there Chris and that guy looked like he had the potential to be a jerk.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:17 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,070 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Bob, sounds like you know something I don't.
Russ welcomed him, so he must be legit. I stand corrected.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by mentalite
I am glad that this forum exists and have access to this source of comradery and knowledge!

I just purchased my first Harley Davidson - a 1986 FXRS Low Rider. I had been looking for a HD that would strike my fancy for a while and this model struck me right away. It needs some work but I'm up to the challenge (I hope!). This is my eighth motorcycle and I'm coming off of a BMW. I'm ready for something totally different and this FXRS is it!

Thank you all for having me and I look forward to some fun here!
By the way Bill, we have other reformed and not-so-reformed BMW riders in here. Even some recent owners of hybrid vehicles if you can imagine that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Juan L:
DanHappy (01-11-2021), Imold (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 12:30 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

I wont be joining in the fray of WS 21 this year. I'll be heading out that way a week or so later to Sheridan WY.

Welcome newbie, freshman, rookie, red cap, etc........

Old 01-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by iRider
I wont be joining in the fray of WS 21 this year. I'll be heading out that way a week or so later to Sheridan WY.

Welcome newbie, freshman, rookie, red cap, etc........
That’s OK, send Tonya, we know she won’t run off with our beer!

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 12:59 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,944 Likes on 4,699 Posts

If Rick isn't going, I'm out. Okay, I'm back in, sorry Rick...

Russ my issue with my current boss, not the big man, is that I'm doing a complete inventory of EVERY SINGLE ITEM of evidence we've ever taken in and still have. If something is missing I need to know why. Court documents back up missing items, as they were destroyed. On top of that I do a lot of other tasks. I tried to ask for help this morning and got an attitude about it. I said forget it and tried to walk away. He chased me down. Yelling ensued, in front of others. Bottom line is he told me that he didn't know why I was stressed about a property room because it doesn't go anywhere. I have more responsibility in that "room" than most anyone else in this agency. When something is missing, it's my ***, so yeah, it's stressful. Plus I go to crime scenes, run the drone, go on call and investigate crimes. He doesn't know what I do or how I do it, but I have to answer to him. I've talked to the big guy about it already, but I don't see anything changing anytime soon, if ever. Sign of a shitty supervisor when someone goes to them with a problem and the response is, we all have problems. That's been an ongoing thing with him, so I just don't say anything. At this point, I really don't care if I get demoted or not.

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part XIII