The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part X

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:34 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
My electrically challenged skill set is questioning how wires with nothing going through them can indicate a circuit. Where is the power coming from? Does wire have a natural electrical element to it that I am unaware of?
The multimeter is supply enough "power" thru the wire to read it's resistance.

PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

While we're talking electrical I wanna go over something Dan suggested regarding my sprinkler controller box leads. He suggested loosening one end of the wires (I assume the end at the controller box) and wrap them together. Go to other end with multimeter and check circuit. I am not electrically inclined but without a power supply how can the wires show a complete/non-complete circuit?
Check for resistance, not for voltage. If the circuit is open, broken wire. If the circuit is closed, wires are good

Originally Posted by BARACU
Marcus, are you trying to shut the charger or the phone off? It's early and I'm confused.
The phone stays on 24/7 unless I forget to charge it. I can hear the engine noise in the speakers (especially at higher RPM's) if the phone stays plugged in. I want to shut off the charging cord while riding and turn it on when parked. The way it is currently wired is fine but I have to manually plug/unplug the phone in the tour pack.

gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Set the multimeter to ohms . If you get a reading then you have complete circuit which means that there is no break in the wires. By twisting two ends together, you're really making just one long wire. If needle doesn't move then you have a break in one wire.
You type too fast!!!!!

Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

OR...leave it hooked up to the power supply and touch the other two ends to your tongue....not recommended but you'll know if you have power and you don't have to buy a meter.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by PapaThiele
Check for resistance, not for voltage. If the circuit is open, broken wire. If the circuit is closed, wires are good
The phone stays on 24/7 unless I forget to charge it. I can hear the engine noise in the speakers (especially at higher RPM's) if the phone stays plugged in. I want to shut off the charging cord while riding and turn it on when parked. The way it is currently wired is fine but I have to manually plug/unplug the phone in the tour pack.
You have to find a circuit that's hot all the time then. Not switched by the key.

Originally Posted by gs34doc
You type too fast!!!!!
That's cause I learned to type with 3 fingers, not two

Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,878 Likes on 17,363 Posts

OR...leave it hooked up to the power supply and touch the other two ends to your tongue....not recommended but you'll know if you have power and you don't have to buy a meter.
Oh, yeah....the stupidity joke. Guys are digging a ditch, the boss is resting in the shade. One guy asks why they are working while boss is loafing. Other guys says it is because we have stupidity. What, says the first guy? Second guy says lemme show ya. Puts his hand on tree trunk and says hit my hand as hard as you can. He moves his hand, guy shatters his fist against tree and says, I get it!

Goes over to his boss, puts his hand in front of his own face and tells boss, See that shovel? Pick it up and hit my hand as hard as you can.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:45 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Oh, yeah....the stupidity joke. Guys are digging a ditch, the boss is resting in the shade. One guy asks why they are working while boss is loafing. Other guys says it is because we have stupidity. What, says the first guy? Second guy says lemme show ya. Puts his hand on tree trunk and says hit my hand as hard as you can. He moves his hand, guy shatters his fist against tree and says, I get it!

Goes over to his boss, puts his hand in front of his own face and tells boss, See that shovel? Pick it up and hit my hand as hard as you can.
Hey...it was a suggestion. I didn't say it was a good one. Besides, it's low voltage (or might be) anyway...you might like it

Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

You have to find a circuit that's hot all the time then. Not switched by the key.
Ahhh! I had not thought of that. See, the TOAK is always here with the answers...it is the questions I have trouble forming...which is why I am not a technical writer at werk

Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,878 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Great news, Al. I just completed the low voltage attached to the nuts circuit test and yes, I liked it!

Old 10-06-2017, 06:48 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Great news, Al. I just completed the low voltage attached to the nuts circuit test and yes, I liked it!
I was going to suggest that too, but I figured you'd get there.......

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part X