The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part X

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,734 Likes on 19,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
A real beer drinker tries all kinds of beers and finishes the 6 pack even when it tastes like broccoli and horse ****.
... and all this time I thought I was a connoisseur ... maybe I'm more like a sewer :>(

Old 10-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Greg watch how you sneeze!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenW
Morning all, still cool but nice here, warm during the days and cool at night, great weather for now.

Question for the computer savvy out there.

I have a Netgear wireless router here, I just got an update notice and it says I should back up all my changes to any default values before running the update.

How the hell do I know what I changed ??
TIA

Alw
I just do a screenprint of the settings pages, so if the update changes anything, I can see what I had before. Just hit the "prt scrn" key, usually above the number keypad, open any image program (windows paint works) and paste and save; you can print them for easy reference, too. Good thing to have handy anyway. Just google your model number and "change settings" and directions should show up. I think this page can get you there, too:
https://kb.netgear.com/980/How-do-I-...AR-home-router

By the way, if you haven't changed your default user name from "admin" and password from "password", good idea to do that right after installing the update.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

If he's running DHCP there is no need to save anything. He can always go into it after the update and change his password.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PapaThiele
Mornin AlW! Just log into your router and copy all the existing info.....IP, DNS, Gateway...etc. Personally, unless I esperience network issues (constant slow connections, loss of connection...etc) I do not upgrade firmware/software on my network devices.
Should've read to the end before posting, ya already answered him. I don't upgrade stuff like that either, when you do upgrades off the web, there's no going back if your 'puter doesn't like the upgrade. Of course that never happens...

Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Should've read to the end before posting, ya already answered him. I don't upgrade stuff like that either, when you do upgrades off the web, there's no going back if your 'puter doesn't like the upgrade. Of course that never happens...
Yeah,you never hear of a case where a new sys admin incorrectly formats a drive, wiping out 12GB of database logs thus causing an 11TB database to become corrupted and unusable

Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

I worked for a company that was still using 3.1 when XP was out. Most of the crew had no idea how to use it, so I cleared off all the desktop icons and just put icons on that opened the various databases without going through all the menus to get to them. A company IT guy came in to put it on the company net, didn't see what he expected on the screen, thought Windows was trashed, so formatted the hard drive. I'd never seen the shop manager so angry before. At least his blood pressure came down a bit when I told him I'd backed up all the data and relevant program files before the guy touched it. The 'puter only had a floppy drive, so it took over 8 hours to restore. The IT guy had to do all but the data files, manager told me not to let him touch those.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:01 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Inexperience or unfamiliarity can cause catastrophes

Old 10-19-2017, 01:04 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Moldy, for the shop here I used to do all the computer werk. IT never touched the machines. They would screw them up, and when we had problems, they didn't know how to fix it. Then the newer IT started and said he HAD to do the computers. Okay. When we had problems he had to fix them. He wood bitch and complain. Told him that us the reason IT should not touch the shop computers. If you can't fix it, don't touch it.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:05 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaThiele
Inexperience or unfamiliarity can cause catastrophes
I always say, " Know enough to be dangerous."

Quick Reply: TOAK, The Thread of All Knowledge Part X