The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK- Thread Of All Knowledge- Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:55 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
i figured the trip was enough traveling for a while. i know going to show after show must be a bit grueling
The only tough part about shows is the setup and tear down, other then that it's the same job. Just talking to people in person instead of on the phone.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:00 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Looks like it needs a lot of TLC. Chuck is probably toast. Does it have power to see if it even runs? Could be a nice machine. I've never seen that name before either, but some of that Polish stuff is pretty good. Better than most from other Eastern European countries.
Run the carriage and the cross slide back and forth to see how they feel. Turn the chuck by hand at the very least to see how it feels. Take a good look at the ways for wear and pitting. Give the tail stock a push. Look under the ways, particularly the cross slide.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:13 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Looks like it needs a lot of TLC. Chuck is probably toast. Does it have power to see if it even runs? Could be a nice machine. I've never seen that name before either, but some of that Polish stuff is pretty good. Better than most from other Eastern European countries.
Run the carriage and the cross slide back and forth to see how they feel. Turn the chuck by hand at the very least to see how it feels. Take a good look at the ways for wear and pitting. Give the tail stock a push. Look under the ways, particularly the cross slide.
Check backlash on cross slide and carriage. If there's lot

Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
Check backlash on cross slide and carriage. If there's lots, might be able to adjust or might be out of anymore adjustment. Make sure you can run that power to your house, and cost. Other than that, where's the tool post? See if it comes with a four jaw chuck, more centres, steady and follow rest.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member

Double post, my fault.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:19 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by zal
Check backlash on cross slide and carriage. If there's lots, might be able to adjust or might be out of anymore adjustment. Make sure you can run that power to your house, and cost. Other than that, where's the tool post? See if it comes with a four jaw chuck, more centres, steady and follow rest.
Like Greg said, if you can run it, make sure lube oil is circulating.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:30 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by zal
Yes, always make sure there is lube oil.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:36 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Originally Posted by zal
Thanks for jumping in, Tim. I knew I would forget to mention a few things!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:37 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Our machinist looked at it. It does have some slop but not too bad. It wood be fine for my shop. I only have 208 3 phase so need top see how its wired. I put in for it to be transfered to my shop. Long as the motor runs and the gear box works ill be happy with it.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by zal
Ill post up more when I get it. Has a pile of stuff that comes with it. Only thing I recognized was a knerler.

Quick Reply: TOAK- Thread Of All Knowledge- Part VI