The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOAK- Thread Of All Knowledge- Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
I would loved to have taken the bike but since the missus was with me we were on sort of a compressed schedule. It took three days to drive to Seattle, we spent two nights in Portland, OR then four days to get home after we knocked around a bit. Saw some really nice places I would like to ride. I think maybe a spring ride to Utah would be nice.
Sounds like a go go go holiday.
How many miles total?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by zal
Thats pretty PC, Mick.
Tim, that may be the first time I have ever been accused of that....

Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Based on the provisions sounds like your planning a hunting trip from about 7-11 tomorrow morning.
Yeah, morning/afternoon hunt. With Halloween being tomorrow, the boy is probably going to head out which then I can Trick n Drink the neighbourhood.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:42 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member

Tim, that may be the first time I have ever been accused of that....
I'm glad I'm your first, Big Guy! Hahahaha

Old 10-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Russ, as difficult as it was, the guy was there with the blessing of club management. We are talking an annual event that was about 3 to 400 hundred, including spouses. They've invited the guy again and that's where the dander gets up.

The guy is VERY WELL KNOWN nationally and well connected. Lost both legs to an IED in Iraq so no doubt about his service, it just seems he couldn't figure out a lot of us, in different times, were there in other places, served honorably and don't go around making a livin' off our injuries. Sorry if that sounds callous....as you can imagine the age group in a country club includes lots of WW2 vets, The Greatest Generation, Korea and Nam.
Mick, I can appreciate everything you've said. Many vets, especially those before the current group did their duty, may have received their wounds and moved on. I don't often speak about my experiences in the military but I've met plenty of folks willing to volunteer theirs.

My most recent experience with one of these guys was not long after my surgery and I was still on my walker out with the wife. Some guy comes running up on me and asks if I was injured in Iraq or Afghanistan. I told him no that it was a long term injury from years of military service. He scoffed, pulled up his sleeve and showed me his "battle scar" on his upper arm making sure to let me know he received a Purple Heart and Bronze Star. I told him "thanks for your service" and he wandered off feeling all superior about himself. My wife looked at me and said "Why?" I told her some people NEED to show that stuff. She said "No, why didn't you tell him how you actually earned that walker?" I told her that was not what he wanted to hear and it was OK I don't need the fans like some do. Maybe someday those guys will be a little more humble about their service and learn to respect ALL who have served without trying to make a buck off of it.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:49 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by zal
Sounds like a go go go holiday.
How many miles total?
We drove 4600 miles in all, half of that pulling a damn 5X8 enclosed trailer.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Juan L

Speaking of vets, Armistice Day is coming up soon! Tim you have Remembrance Day on the 11th of November, right?

Last edited by Juan L; 10-30-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:53 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

...Maybe someday those guys will be a little more humble about their service and learn to respect ALL who have served without trying to make a buck off of it.
Yep. Maybe not the best analogy but crap, dude, ya lettered in high school, what have ya done since?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Juan L

Yep. Maybe not the best analogy but crap, dude, ya lettered in high school, what have ya done since?
I think it's fitting Mick. If it were up to me, national service would be mandatory, either in the armed services or other national service organization for a period after HS.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

I think it's fitting Mick. If it were up to me, national service would be mandatory, either in the armed services or other national service organization for a period after HS.
I agree completely. The things you learn stay with you for a lifetime, the experiences you have about operating as a team, the list goes on and on. Good stuff for anyone.

Quick Reply: TOAK- Thread Of All Knowledge- Part IV