The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poser's Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VII

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

See ya Doc.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:06 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Mama is up. Time to get on it.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

it is said that human occupant was a SEAL, retired, and that he was watching a movie - Harry Potter... Maybe the 'puter got interested in the movie...

or maybe the 'puter did nothing and was hacked to murder driver...like some say of Hastings in LA...

Pretty hard not to see a tractor-trailer rig. Specially for a machine that, presumably, "sees" in IR and RF as well as visible light... (yeah, I know, it doesn't see in the full spectrum - but it is going to have to if if can't see a phuckin' truck...

The story smells.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Morning all, rain last night clearing now.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:42 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,388 Likes on 9,738 Posts

Took Black Betty out for what I believe was her first highway road trip yesterday. 300 miles. A new seat is a must

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
When I was at Americade a few weeks ago, I spent some time talking to Hannigan. They had a Harley with a nice sidecar attachment.Price for the sidecar with all the extras was $7K, included matching paint, brakes,windshield , seat cover and electric camber adjustment....bolt on and go.
I've looked at prices on all the American made sidecars I could find and $7000 is about bottom end for one with the equipment you'd want to have (like a brake, optional on some), except a cheapie for something like $2900 that I wouldn't put on a scooter. Some would be over $10,000, and in that range you could get an independent suspension trike kit, which I think I'd like better. A trike with a trailer would haul as much and be way better handling than a sidecar rig. Wouldn't spend so much time in parking lots talking about it either.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pie plate
just want to get the idea rolling...maybe this is "political" (what isn't)...

Idea? Yeah, what happens when the machine says "I didn't see the motorcycle, officer..." ??

"Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied," Tesla said in a blog post entitled "A Tragic Loss."

see https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-on-autopilot/
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the computer pays attention 100% of the time, which we know people don't do, but people can react to circumstances computers can't sense yet. Seeing motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians... that's scary. We may have to treat cars as blind unguided missiles now. Wait, I already do that...

For realistic full time vehicle collision avoidance, I think vehicles will need something similar to commercial aircraft, a radio system where the computers get trajectory feeds from all nearby vehicles and prevent each other from moving into a collision course - actually need to be better than commercial aircraft - they only tell the pilot what to do. In cars, that would inevitably lead to confusion and collisions, the computers would have to control the avoidance. Smart phones could be integrated into the system so 2 wheel and 2 leg and non-computer equipped vehicles could join the program. Dinosaurs with flip phones would just take their chances.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

My lady friend has gotten real bad the last couple years for giving mind numbing details for anything discussed. Just asked her a question that simply needed a yes or no answer, and after a few minutes of mostly irrelevant details, I tuned out and missed the answer, if there was one. Seems like lately I often ask her what she's talking about; I try to figure it out, but it's like a puzzle with missing pieces and my mind shuts off. I learned not to tell her just to say yes or no; it sometimes confuses her and she starts all over again. Getting old can be frustrating.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I've looked at prices on all the American made sidecars I could find and $7000 is about bottom end for one with the equipment you'd want to have (like a brake, optional on some), except a cheapie for something like $2900 that I wouldn't put on a scooter. Some would be over $10,000, and in that range you could get an independent suspension trike kit, which I think I'd like better. A trike with a trailer would haul as much and be way better handling than a sidecar rig. Wouldn't spend so much time in parking lots talking about it either.

Yeah, but....sidecars are cool!!!!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:25 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a nice little hack on a kawi 440 long time ago. They look cool. They have merit. They can carry an astonishing amount of stuff. Cheap to run. I'd kinna like to put a hack on a 650 yamaha - mimic the old english set-up...

No way I'd buy one though. Very simple to build for nearly nothing. People build campers and tear-drop trailers...a hack's trivial.

but they're not terribly fun. I can't imagine lashing a hack to either of my Harleys. It would ruin them for my purposes.

The puterized tesla crash...I've been thinking... the admission of fault statement made by tesla seems out of line with good legal advice...by a highroller ceo! That's fishy. I think I'll look at the character of the dead man and ask cop questions to myself - means, motive, opportunity, and who stands to benefit... This is to say I suspect murder, not negligence.

Last edited by pie plate; 07-01-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Poser's Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VII