The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDF removes Confederate Flag patches

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:00 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Even me?

Especially you. Show the world that you aren't falling for the propaganda that's being spread about. Slavery wasn't unique to the south. As someone already mentioned, you could place the US flag right next to the Stars and Bars as far as flags that flew over homes that had slaves. The US has evolved. The south hasn't been left behind by that. But, they still retain their culture. And their culture is not racism any more than that flag is a symbol of racism.

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:14 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR

Man...is she/he unattractive... Reminds me of the nurses from Silent Hill...

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Uh oh should I call the nurse?

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:14 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've NEVER had a desire to put a rebel flag patch on my vest. Ever... UNTIL NOW!

For me, this is not symbol of racism. It is now a symbol of expression of my first amendment rights. The more the progressive PC crowd tells me I can't have stuff like this, the more I WANT IT. What's next? NRA stickers and decals???

I just found one, and it's going on my vest. To all the people of color that might be offended, I'll be happy to explain my reasons over a cold beer. Its now a freedom of expression issue for me. I honestly mean no offense to anyone, but it's going to be worn.

Think of the constitution as a line of dominoes... Once the FIRST one falls, the rest will follow.

Last edited by Piloto; 07-02-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2015 | 02:18 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I've noticed on Facebook (yes, I dabble there infrequently) that many people are doing the Gay Pride flag overlay on their profile pic. Rainbows everywhere.

I wonder if a Stars and Bars overlay would get me banned? No big loss if it does I guess.

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:23 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

It's all about the sheckles

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:43 PM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by nevada72
Especially you. Show the world that you aren't falling for the propaganda that's being spread about. Slavery wasn't unique to the south. As someone already mentioned, you could place the US flag right next to the Stars and Bars as far as flags that flew over homes that had slaves. The US has evolved. The south hasn't been left behind by that. But, they still retain their culture. And their culture is not racism any more than that flag is a symbol of racism.
Yeah, I've lived in the south . . .a lot. Some things have evolved, and some things have barely evolved. That's like everywhere, I suppose.

And, I understand a LOT of what you're saying. Personally, I despise that flag - and what it stands for. And, I'm not even in "angry black man" mode like some of the folks I know.

Now, don't get me wrong - I am NOT in favor of every company, TV station, website, etc, suddenly deciding that they're not going to display this flag. I'd prefer to know how people REALLY feel, not how politically correct they are. Additionally, when I took the oath to " . . . protect and defend the Constitution of The United States of America . . . ", I did so in hopes that both you AND I would be able to express ourselves.

I would NEVER burn a flag of the United States. But, I'd take a bullet to defend your right to do so. THAT is part of what we stand for. So, while I might not like that flag, I respect, and will vigorously defend, your right to do so.

Originally Posted by Piloto
For me, this is not symbol of racism. It is now a symbol of expression of my first amendment rights. The more the progressive PC crowd tells me I can't have stuff like this, the more I WANT IT. What's next? NRA stickers and decals???
Nobody is telling you that you can't have and display this stuff! Are sellers pulling the stuff off of shelves? Yes. But, that has nothing to do with your First Amendment rights!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2015 | 02:46 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, I've lived in the south . . .a lot. Some things have evolved, and some things have barely evolved. That's like everywhere, I suppose.

And, I understand a LOT of what you're saying. Personally, I despise that flag - and what it stands for.
I completely respect your response. Thanks for that. I think it's clear that you and I don't agree on what the Stars and Bars stands for though. Because rest assured, if I thought it stood for racism and intolerance, I wouldn't be saying the things I have.

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:50 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

They will probably be replacing the confederate patch with rainbows as soon as they come in. They are on back order..

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:53 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Nobody is telling you that you can't have and display this stuff! Are sellers pulling the stuff off of shelves? Yes. But, that has nothing to do with your First Amendment rights!
Yet... If I can't buy one, how can I wear one? It's a back door way to implement a ban on free speech. This is not coming in from the front door, it's coming in from the back.

I mean no offense by the patch. As a fellow veteran, I'd take a bullet to protect you and your constitutional rights also. We're all in this together. I'd re-up tomorrow if my country needed me, and they were desperate enough to take old farts.

Old 07-02-2015 | 02:54 PM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by nevada72
I completely respect your response. Thanks for that. I think it's clear that you and I don't agree on what the Stars and Bars stands for though. Because rest assured, if I thought it stood for racism and intolerance, I wouldn't be saying the things I have.
And, I thank you for that.

You know something I stand by with everything that I have - We're all more alike than we realize. We're pretty much the exact same. I might be black, you might be white, but in the end, we're exactly the same. I try hard every day to approach life and people with that in mind. So, we might disagree on the Confederate Flag. We might disagree on politics. We might disagree on a LOT of things. And, we could get worked over each and every one of them until we're calling each other names and ready to fight.

Or, we can agree that we have a LOT in common, and have a good time!

Yet... If I can't buy one, how can I wear one? It's a back door way to implement a ban on free speech. This is not coming in from the front door, it's coming in from the back.
I know what you're saying there, and I'd be agreeing with you 100% if the government had stated that they would give tax breaks to businesses that agreed not to sell this merchandise. I think it's more "political correctness" than anything.

I mean no offense by the patch. As a fellow veteran, I'd take a bullet to protect you and your constitutional rights also. We're all in this together.
We definitely are! And, I take no offense by the flag in itself. That would be pretty silly. LOL!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-02-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: HDF removes Confederate Flag patches