The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDF removes Confederate Flag patches

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015 | 02:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by rizzo
I was just in the Swag Forum browsing the trinkets and saw the Confederate Flag patches have been removed. It's this seasons latest trend.
I can hardly begin to tell you how much that doesn't bother me, should have buried the damn thing a century ago. One country, not 2 flags.........

Old 07-03-2015 | 02:05 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by From_Behind
LMAO!
Don't you mean LMSAO ...from behind. S=Shaved

Old 07-03-2015 | 03:04 PM
DownGoesFrazier
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
...It's just that it's been around for so many decades and now, so many are going berserk on wanting to do away with it. And some are going overboard. It's not like it's a swastika...
WARNING: Long-winded post to follow.

As a newb, I was a little hesitant to jump in. But we just had an endless discussion about this at my work. It ended with us all agreeing FU and FU2. So I decided to take a closer look. To establish my credentials, I am a lifelong southern, church-going, hard-playing, motorsickle-ridin', middle-aged, white collar, white boy. I have visited many other nice areas of the country, but never wanted to live anywhere else.

First and foremost, the Stars and Bars is not the same as the battle flag:

Stars & Bars, the 1st National Flag

Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, the war flag

"Despite never having historically represented the CSA as a country nor officially recognized as one of the national flags, it is commonly referred to as "the Confederate Flag" and has become a widely recognized symbol of the American south.[32] It is also known as the rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross and is often incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars".[33] (The actual "Stars and Bars" is the first national flag, which used an entirely different design.)"
(Wikipedia)

I can't agree that the war flag is not comparable to the Swastika at least in popular perception. Individual perception is individual truth regardless of accuracy. There is an undeniable visceral response to the battle flag on both sides of the issue. Just as with the swastika symbol, an ancient Hindu symbol of peace. The meaning of both have been corrupted by history both true and revised.

Unrevised historical comments such as:

Newspaper editor and flag designer, William T. Thompson said,
"As a people we are fighting maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause."—William T. Thompson (April 23, 1863), Daily Morning News

In May 1863, when Thompson discovered that his design had been chosen by the Confederate Congress to become the Confederacy's next national flag, he was pleased. He praised his design as symbolizing the Confederacy's ideology and its cause of "a superior race", as well as for bearing little resemblance to the U.S. flag, which he called the "infamous banner of the Yankee vandals".

Writing for Savannah's Daily Morning News, Thompson stated:
"As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of the Yankee vandals."
—William T. Thompson (May 4, 1863), Daily Morning News

For myself, if I wished to claim and display my heritage as a southerner, I would fly, tattoo, patch, paint, or whatever the 1st National, the Stars and Bars. One, because it was a true national flag of the CSA; two, because it is not immediately associated with racism fairly or unfairly; and third, because it would be funny to me (in a passive-aggressive dckhd kinda way) to be complimented by a PC Libtard on my interesting flag.

If you wave a German flag or the Stars and Bars, people are oblivious. But, you fly the Swashtika or the battle flag, and the knee jerk reaction prohibits any kind of civil discourse. I honestly urge fellow southerners who wish proclaim their heritage to raise the 1st National and let's move on.

Old 07-03-2015 | 03:10 PM
DownGoesFrazier
Advanced

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Oh, mine have been shaved for a long time. We have a "No Pubic Hair" policy in our bedroom. LMAO!
Uh, kinda like Speedos, okay for the young and fit but creepy for us old dudes. I appreciate your candor but I agree, amen on the TMI!

This thread has split into how many different topics now?

Old 07-03-2015 | 04:00 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DownGoesFrazier
Uh, kinda like Speedos, okay for the young and fit but creepy for us old dudes. I appreciate your candor but I agree, amen on the TMI!

This thread has split into how many different topics now?
Looking at your name you should understand ROPE-A-DOPE, say one thing, show them another, and mean or do something else.
I have to say where I live you can see the flag often and it's not hard to see who puts what meaning to it. If you appreciate Irony the ones who flaunt it as a sign of supremacy are rarely superior to anyone.
Hard to have serious dialogue with anyone who has a mullet or shaved head.
{Got the main topic & the Shave in}

Old 07-03-2015 | 04:05 PM
Coolaid
Banned

**** hdf

Old 07-03-2015 | 06:51 PM
DownGoesFrazier
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSheff
Looking at your name you should understand ROPE-A-DOPE, say one thing, show them another, and mean or do something else.
I have to say where I live you can see the flag often and it's not hard to see who puts what meaning to it. If you appreciate Irony the ones who flaunt it as a sign of supremacy are rarely superior to anyone.
Hard to have serious dialogue with anyone who has a mullet or shaved head.
{Got the main topic & the Shave in
I've always said that if I were a white supremacist, I would begin by insisting that most of the other white supremacists prove their dedication to the race by eliminating themselves from the gene pool by whatever means necessary, IYKWIM. Charity and love start at home.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-04-2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Not finished...I fixed the quote
Old 07-03-2015 | 07:44 PM
rizzo
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a real twist on the racism subject - search YouTube using the words

"Dave Chappelle The Black White Supremacist Full Video"

and yes it does contain the "N" word and often. I'm sure posting the link is verboten. I wish he was still on TV....

Old 07-03-2015 | 07:54 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Chappell is hilarious. His stereotype pixies have me LMAO every time.

Old 07-03-2015 | 08:00 PM
DownGoesFrazier
Advanced

Originally Posted by rizzo
Here's a real twist on the racism subject - search YouTube using the words

"Dave Chappelle The Black White Supremacist Full Video"

and yes it does contain the "N" word and often. I'm sure posting the link is verboten. I wish he was still on TV....
That is without a doubt the funniest DC skit I have ever seen. I can't watch it without laughing so hard my sides ache. It never gets old.

Quick Reply: HDF removes Confederate Flag patches