The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDF removes Confederate Flag patches

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015 | 11:15 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Re-load
I am SO ****ING sick of people and their compulsive ****ING whining. WHat is wrong with people?

If I don't like something, I don't participate, example:

I don't like gay marriage, guess what??? I don't get married to a gay guy or go to a gay wedding. What I don't do is scream my ****ing head off or threaten until I get my way.

Why every ****ing time someone is offended by something they have to stand at the highest mountain and bitch and complain and threaten and protest until they get their way????

I just have never felt so much contempt for "America" as I do as of late.

I HATE MOST PEOPLE, PEOPLE SUCK.
Present company excluded.
Hell yeah that crap gets on my nerves. I also run into people apologizing for everything and expecting me to have a problem....i dont...i generally laid back cuz i generally dont care. Theres self entitled cry babies out there and then there a bunch of neurotic enablers. I hate them all.

Old 07-03-2015 | 12:11 AM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Originally Posted by perki48
I don't understand. Why is it bad to fly a flag that actually has a little "American" heritage but while riding about 300 miles today almost every American flag I saw flying also had a Canadian flag flying with it and that is exceptable?
I noticed that too while riding through your area in spring. I'll admit I liked it but that's prolly because I'm Canadian

Old 07-03-2015 | 06:54 AM
Juan L
Old 07-03-2015 | 07:19 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member

That was funny & just about where we're headed.

Old 07-03-2015 | 07:35 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

From_Behind
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_Star

Seriously all bikers need to wear a confederate flag patch in protest.

Even me?

First good laugh of the day! Thanks FB!

Old 07-03-2015 | 07:58 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior

My background for context. I am white male, 45 years old, drive a big 4x4, and ride my Harley about 7,000 miles a year. After growing up in rural Oklahoma, I have spent my entire adult life living in the South.

My experience. A few southerners fly the Confederate battle flag for heritage reasons. Most who fly it will express at least subtle racist views behind closed doors. These people fly it to rally those with similar views and keep others at arms length.

The few who do truly fly the flag for heritage reasons have tried for years to change the image the flag provokes. Frankly, they are losing the branding war. They are losing by not publicly speaking out against racism. It reminds me of how moderate Muslims are losing the branding war of Islam because they don't publicly speak out against radical Islam.

If that correlation offends you, you're going to love this one. My wife always jokes that "not every girl who plays softball is a lesbian, but all lesbians love softball". Well, not everyone who flies the Confederate battle flag is a racist, but all white southern racist love the Confederate battle flag.

If either of these correlations offend you, you're too close to the flame. Listen, I have also been exposed to a lot of black on white racism in my time in the South. I am just saying that the Flag doesn't help us progress as a nation. For me personally, it just reminds me of the darkest time in our great nation's history, where more Americans lost their lives than all of our other wars combined.

If your right to freedom of expression still compels you to fly the flag, go for it. It should be removed from government funded sites IMHO as they are paid for by everyone's taxes, not just those who like the flag. Industry is running away from the flag strictly for liability reasons, not moral reasons. Unless you are going to pay their legal fees when they get sued, don't get mad at them. They have been, and always will be, all about the bottom line.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 07-03-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-03-2015 | 08:04 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member

That was great, and that guy did a great job playing Boss Hog, got the facial expressions and crying down pretty good LOL

Old 07-03-2015 | 08:13 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Re-load
I am SO ****ING sick of people and their compulsive ****ING whining. WHat is wrong with people?

If I don't like something, I don't participate, example:

I don't like gay marriage, guess what??? I don't get married to a gay guy or go to a gay wedding. What I don't do is scream my ****ing head off or threaten until I get my way.

Why every ****ing time someone is offended by something they have to stand at the highest mountain and bitch and complain and threaten and protest until they get their way????

I just have never felt so much contempt for "America" as I do as of late.

I HATE MOST PEOPLE, PEOPLE SUCK.
Same here.
What does this gay bullshit say to little kids. that it's ok to fudge pack?
(I am sure some one will be offended by this and or delete it)
Then if they don't like being gay, then they can go back to being straight?
I do believe we are in the end times.

Old 07-03-2015 | 09:02 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
My background for context. I am white male, 45 years old, drive a big 4x4, and ride my Harley about 7,000 miles a year. After growing up in rural Oklahoma, I have spent my entire adult life living in the South.

My experience. A few southerners fly the Confederate battle flag for heritage reasons. Most who fly it will express at least subtle racist views behind closed doors. These people fly it to rally those with similar views and keep others at arms length.

The few who do truly fly the flag for heritage reasons have tried for years to change the image the flag provokes. Frankly, they are losing the branding war. They are losing by not publicly speaking out against racism. It reminds me of how moderate Muslims are losing the branding war of Islam because they don't publicly speak out against radical Islam.

If that correlation offends you, you're going to love this one. My wife always jokes that "not every girl who plays softball is a lesbian, but all lesbians love softball". Well, not everyone who flies the Confederate battle flag is a racist, but all white southern racist love the Confederate battle flag.

If either of these correlations offend you, you're too close to the flame. Listen, I have also been exposed to a lot of black on white racism in my time in the South. I am just saying that the Flag doesn't help us progress as a nation. For me personally, it just reminds me of the darkest time in our great nation's history, where more Americans lost their lives than all of our other wars combined.

If your right to freedom of expression still compels you to fly the flag, go for it. It should be removed from government funded sites IMHO as they are paid for by everyone's taxes, not just those who like the flag. Industry is running away from the flag strictly for liability reasons, not moral reasons. Unless you are going to pay their legal fees when they get sued, don't get mad at them. They have been, and always will be, all about the bottom line.
I was wondering where this "right of freedom of expression" came from because it isn't in the Constitution.
Turns out it is a corruption of the Constitution by the ACLU to make it mean what they want the freedom of speech, of the press, of association, of assembly and petition to mean and not what the Constitution says.

The founding Fathers wrote what they wanted to write and even gave a way to change it if the people thought it needed changing.

That way doesn't include someone just making stuff up or changing the definition of a word/words just because it doesn't suit their agenda.

Old 07-03-2015 | 09:05 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Same here.
What does this gay bullshit say to little kids. that it's ok to fudge pack?
(I am sure some one will be offended by this and or delete it)
Then if they don't like being gay, then they can go back to being straight?
I do believe we are in the end times.
I almost didn't reply since your post was off topic but I couldn't help myself. Homosexuals don't "decide" what they are attracted to anymore than you do. You didn't make a conscience decision to be attracted to girls, it just happened. The same is true for homosexuals and their attractions.

Saying that you are worried about the children "trying gay out" is just uneducated fear mongering.

To try to pull it back on topic, both marriage equality and the removal of symbols that epitomize racial inequality from public buildings both move us forward together as a nation. If your micro-culture's beliefs (not rights) infringe another micro-culture's rights (not beliefs) then those beliefs will become illegal.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 07-03-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: HDF removes Confederate Flag patches