The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-in-a-box

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley-in-a-box

.....on my dock! My company manufactures roof and building protective coatings. Today one of the supervisors calls me and says come down to the dock, we have a Harley in a box! So puzzled and curious I go to investigate. Sure enough, there appears to be a factory box from HD in the distance. (see pic # 1) Upon closer inspection it is a Harley Davidson factory motorcycle crate. (see pic # 2)

Look a little closer and inside is someone's personal Harley with a springer front end! (see pic # 3)

No names or addresses I am comfortable giving but I will tell you someone at a non-motorcycle business in Alaska shipped this to the Indy shop a couple of blocks from the plant. My best guess is he/she is flying in next week for the Laughlin River Run and hired the Indy shop to de-crate and prep it for their week of fun at the LRR.

The LTL shipping company brought it in here, asked our lift driver to off-load and load our shipments on then set it back on the trailer in the back. The driver left to get another pup trailer so here it sits with no one responsible. We are not the shipper, consignee or on the hook in anyway. I told the lift driver to set it in my pick-up, which he would have done, but quickly told him "just kidding!"

Knowing how the LTL carriers work and how many times freight is transferred truck-to-truck, dock-to-dock there is no way I trust my scoot to that type of carrier. Not without some serious "full replacement and immediate" insurance at least!

If the carrier bangs up our pails or roll goods it is no big deal, file a claim and keep moving. But to put my bike in their hands makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Attached Thumbnails Harley-in-a-box-harley-in-a-box-001.jpg   Harley-in-a-box-harley-in-a-box-002.jpg   Harley-in-a-box-harley-in-a-box-003.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW! Now that's scary. Can you imagine clicking on this thread and seeing your bike sitting in the crate, knowing that you shipped it someplace specifically? Frightening.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Looks like the dude should have road his ride heh?
So much for tracking numbers!

teamster

Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

My guess it will make the last leg and deliver fine.......but still........

Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

I've shipped my shovel air freight cross country twice now and have shipped several others all over the states air freight . Was cheaper than the damn trucking lines and the bike was only a day off my schedule flying . I use HD's pallets but turn the box inside out so it's unmarked and add a little 1x3 wood bracing for effect . Last time was to KC mo from San Francisco , cartage company picked it up at the dealer dropped it at USAIR commercial $40 , freight was under $500 flew the same day I did . Should seen the guys at warehouse when they forked the crate to parking lot and I broke it down tweaked the bars back , gased it her up and road away , Packed all my gear in with it spent 3 weeks wandering back to home . Ever seen what goes on in a large motor freight terminal ? and your bike is MIA for 2 maybe 3 weeks ? Fug that .

Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

We are in a normally slow season (not the economy, just not our season) so our outbound dock was empty for the day by the time the pic's were taken. I have seen it packed to overflow and what a forklift can do.

We were joking about the shipment and then the thought of a lift driver sending his forks through the box crossed my mind and sent chills up my spine. F/L's are twice as heavy as a car and it would have cut through the block like a knife through butter. Fortunately it was an experienced, well trained and attentive lift operator so the owner only has two more worries.

The delivery itself last night and the trip home!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
newpctech
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ship your car...ride the scoot!!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,640 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Arrow

Just another 'Trailer Queen', cardboard box style...

Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
Just another 'Trailer Queen', cardboard box style...

I wouldn't go there may be the guy has the attitude I do about it , I'd rather take my time and really see the countryside and everything around once instead hauling *** by at 80 in big hurry 2 times .

You can have a much more entertaining not mention relaxed and LONGER road trip if its all one way particularly if you've been through most the area before . Something to think about

Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that matter, the owner may only have so much time off and who knows what their plans are between Arizona and Alaska. Hell, the person could be moving. Many times, it seems like there is a lot of "envy" of others who can afford to ship their bike worldwide; who can afford to trailer their bike, family, and dog on a trip; or who can afford to fly somewhere and then rent a bike for an excursion. It makes me wonder how many bitch about others who fly somewhere and rent a car to take care of "their" business locally. I guess in some people's minds they aren't real drivers and/or can't drive either since they rented a car.

For the serious riders. Ride 11K miles in 11 days.
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Last edited by TNB; 04-20-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley-in-a-box