"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Looking for some input.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking for some input.

It warmed up here today. From highs around zero and -10 lows, we saw 15. Time to plan a getaway!
We are seriously thinking about spending 10 days to 2 weeks (Jan 28 to ???) in Fla & renting a bike rather than a car. Been in the Tampa - St. Pete - Tarpon Springs (Cool place) area a couple times.
Wife's mother & "fiance" winter in Zephyrhills. Been there a bunch. Makes us in our mid 60s feel like kids. M in L birthday end of Jan. so we started looking for flights & bike rental. Points from SW will get us into Orlando. Eaglerider is right there or Orlando H-D. Any experiences with either outlet?
We have stayed in / on St Pete Beach before & are just starting to look at VRBO & others. Any ideas?
Want to go down to Key West & have read enough to stay off I-95 & as far west of Miami as possible. Would likely drop down the Gulf side & come across on US41 any way.
Is is feasible to ride to Pensacola in early Feb? Father was a naval aviator & would really enjoy the museum there. Remember that us fools up here ride when it is 50.
Any other ideas, thoughts, etc?
Thanks.
Brian

Old 12-14-2013, 07:57 AM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There are a lot of recent threads here, and in the General Chat area re: Florida and the Keys. You will like riding down the coast and across Florida on 41.

Pensacola is definitely do-able in February. There is also an air musuem in Fort Walton Beach right off (I think) highway 29 (about 20 min south of I-10). Crestview has Earl's Seafood Restaurant and Oyster Bar--and I'm sure others on here know many others that are on the water between Pensacola and Alligator Point.

Have a fun planning your trip!

Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a fantastic trip for you! You picked the absolute best time of the year to come down here from your standpoint.

Beginning of February can be anywhere from 30's to 50's from the Panhandle down to Orlando/Daytona, and from 50's to 70's from Orlando south. But it could also be 80 degrees across the entire state. Hard to determine almost two months away but compared to what you might be accustomed to..... Paradise.

In south Florida, December through March is typically dry, pleasantly warm, little to no humidity and usually predictable. November to May is why most of us live here!!

If you are on the southwest coast, make sure you stop by Sanibel / Captiva Island just west of Ft Myers. Maybe even stay a couple of nights. Absolutely spectacular sunsets, calm flat gulf waters, beautiful big beaches the length of the western coast that have seashells washing up everywhere along the water. Sanibel has superior beaches compared to the Florida Keys. It is far more laid back and quiet compared to Key West and the party atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, the Florida Keys has the most beautiful waters anywhere in the US. From Key Largo south for two hours the scenery on a sunny day is breathtaking. Key West has some really old historical structures and old well kept homes. I love Key West and have been there at least 60 or 70 times over the past 20 years. I ride my Street Glide to both Key West and Sanibel three or four times a year from the Ft Lauderdale area. Sanibel for a relaxed, laid back weekend or Key West for the Duval Crawl and the fun.

Have a great vacation and post some pics of your adventures.
Here's a pic taken on Sanibel Island on Black Friday just a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for some input.-image.jpg  

Last edited by Roger That; 12-14-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Air museam near Titusville FL...50 minutes south of daytona. http://www.vacwarbirds.org/ Plus you can spend some time touring Kennedy Space Center.
Florida is a great state....and where ever you go on a bike, you are pretty sure to find something that may interest you.

Chuck