"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

First long ride yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013 | 07:16 AM
slapshot12
|
Road Warrior
Default First long ride yesterday

We took our first ride yesterday...280 miles. Left Pinellas on 275 to 75. Took 64 east to 27 in Avon Park, then 27 south to Sebring. Had lunch in Sebring. Then 27 south to 70 and 70 east back to 275. Between lunch, stretch stops, and a family visit, it was a 9 hr day.

We both were very impressed, and happy, with the bike. It will be a great ride. Need to add XM and GPS soon. Once I get everything adjusted and set up how I want, I'll be ready to roll.

Still working on getting miles and seat time to get used to the bike. I'll be heading to some parking lots for slow speed practice.

Old 11-18-2013 | 09:42 AM
red sport.
Tourer
Default First long ride yesterday

watch using front brake in a turn, i learned the hard way, no one told me if you use it in a turn it will throw you, i was just making a uturn to the left & to this day left is scary, right is ok. & if you stop & think you make more left's than right.

Last edited by red sport.; 11-18-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2013 | 10:14 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you had a safe pleasant ride.

Ride Safe -- Have Fun

Old 11-18-2013 | 03:01 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Seeing as you were on 70, now you know where all the tomatoes are grown!!!!

Old 11-18-2013 | 03:37 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
With a little imagination he could of found his way up to the Tail of the Gecko and seen some nice tomato fields tucked away off the main roads.

Old 11-18-2013 | 03:39 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by red sport.
watch using front brake in a turn, i learned the hard way, no one told me if you use it in a turn it will throw you, i was just making a uturn to the left & to this day left is scary, right is ok. & if you stop & think you make more left's than right.
Yep... It's not WILL YOU GO DOWN, it's YOU WILL GO DOWN. I learned it in the riders class, saw it happen twice. Still did it 3 days after riding during a U turn. Did not get hurt at all when I went down, but permanently F'd up my back trying to lift the bike. Been in constant pain the past 4 1/2 years since.

Did it once more for good measure to make sure I learned not to do it again.

Old 11-18-2013 | 03:59 PM
red sport.
Tourer
Default first long ride yesterday

Originally Posted by SoFla
Yep... It's not WILL YOU GO DOWN, it's YOU WILL GO DOWN. I learned it in the riders class, saw it happen twice. Still did it 3 days after riding during a U turn. Did not get hurt at all when I went down, but permanently F'd up my back trying to lift the bike. Been in constant pain the past 4 1/2 years since.

Did it once more for good measure to make sure I learned not to do it again.
this is kind of getting off the subject But, a motorist was comming he saw me fall, he helped me get it up, i got bruised from hip to spranged ankle, right side, had improper boots on (walmart). if i'da had my motorcycle boots on ankle would have been ok. 1500$ doc. xrays, didn't ride for a wk. i've saw a video on how to pick up a bike some where.
now back to the tomatoes & rideing.

Old 11-18-2013 | 05:31 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Gator
With a little imagination he could of found his way up to the Tail of the Gecko and seen some nice tomato fields tucked away off the main roads.
If you ride this be advised that all the curves are loaded up with sand from the Phosphate trucks. Extreme caution is prudent on this road. Glad you had a good ride. Let me know when you want to ride some good roads.

Old 11-18-2013 | 05:47 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slapshot12
We took our first ride yesterday...280 miles. Left Pinellas on 275 to 75. Took 64 east to 27 in Avon Park, then 27 south to Sebring. Had lunch in Sebring. Then 27 south to 70 and 70 east back to 275. Between lunch, stretch stops, and a family visit, it was a 9 hr day.

We both were very impressed, and happy, with the bike. It will be a great ride. Need to add XM and GPS soon. Once I get everything adjusted and set up how I want, I'll be ready to roll.

Still working on getting miles and seat time to get used to the bike. I'll be heading to some parking lots for slow speed practice.
After almost 40 years of riding, I am still learning, so take your time.
Congrat on the enjoyable trip.

Originally Posted by red sport.
I am curious to know what bike (model, year) that you've ridden.

Originally Posted by Just Dave
If you ride this be advised that all the curves are loaded up with sand from the Phosphate trucks. Extreme caution is prudent on this road.
Very good advice!

Old 11-18-2013 | 05:50 PM
slapshot12
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Oh yes. I saw the trucks and bus loads of Mexicans. It reminded me of rural Collier County when I was down there after Hurricane Charlie. 70 is almost as straight and boring as Alligator Alley. But, it took me where I needed to go, so no complaints.

I need to get my portable XM installed and get a GPS.

Quick Reply: First long ride yesterday