"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Witnessed Fatal Motorcycle crash in GA today

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013 | 08:15 AM
Fairshake
Cruiser

First off, I'm very sorry that the OP had to see the accident unfold and then be present for all the ugly stuff that has to be done after it happens.
I'm a life long rider of over 50 years and a former cop of 15 years. I've seen and been sent to many motorcycle accidents, some with just small injuries and others with the riders being killed. I have also been the bike that went down. A few were the direct cause of cages who did not see me. That is the most used line by cage drivers after they have hit one of us. The sights and even the smell of leaking fuel and oil will stay with you every day.
I don't care for large group rides at all. They always have a hot shot or two who want to show every one that they could make their living as Hollywood stunt men or a group that was put together of newbies and given the upfront riding position. It makes for a very long day.
You would not buy a new car and have one driving lesson and then sign up for a race car rally.
New riders should stay away from group rides until they have shown that they are able to handle the bike and be able to avert any road hazard that comes in front of them. If you have new riders then help them reach the skill levels needed.
I have had two new riders put my bike in the grass. Hindsight is always 20-20 and it is easy to arm chair quarterback all accidents.
If your club or group has new riders and you want them on a ride then appoint a skilled rider to hang back with them. This will keep them from feeling that urge to catch the pack or I'll be lost feeling.
We all started with needing help.
My prayers go out to everyone involved and to the lost riders family who have lost a part of that family. Take Care David

Old 06-18-2013 | 10:44 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

^ the small core nucleus of Florida Crew that I started riding with 4 years ago, I trust in large group rides. As Fl crew grew there's one or two more I would trust ... And only one i trust completely, but ive probably done 15,000 - 20,000 miles with him. Other than that I avoid group rides.

Old 06-18-2013 | 11:00 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Very sad. The analyses were excellent, and perhaps all we can hope for from something like this.

Old 06-18-2013 | 11:17 AM
rapp76
Cruiser

May she R.I.P.

Sorry the OP had to see that and now try to move on.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO RIDE WITHIN THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE LEVEL! IF YOU THINK YOUR GOING TOO FAST, YOU PROBABLY ARE!