"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

So who's tripping in 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
I have that box checked already. LOL Sturgis is a wonderful experience and has awesome riding all around the area. I will do it again sometime, but next year is going to be something different.

The Ozarks and then to Arizona are on the list for sure. Just maybe not yet.

When Jeff threw all those links up; got me thinking about Gettysburg PA (again). That can be almost an entire trip of twisties (leaving Georgia) up and back. A full-time run through the Appalachian Mountains could be fun.
Since you are not in a hurry I'll just throwing out a few places to visit along the way.

http://parrotmountainandgardens.com/map.html

http://www.dickel.com/

http://www.jackdaniels.com

http://gallagherguitar.com/shoptour.html

Take your camera.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Now that you've got on your thinking cap I encourage you to watch the movie One WeeK starring Joshua Jackson (Fringe). The movie chronicles the motorcycle trip of Ben Tyler as he rides across the Trans Canada Highway from Toronto to Tofino, British Columbia stopping at landmarks that are both iconic and idiosyncratic on his quest to find meaning in his life.

I have the Trans Canada Highway ride on my bucket list but it may take a wee bit longer than a week for me to make the trip.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm going to Bike Week in Daytona (from Savannah.) I'll also be going to Tulsa from Savannah (probably in May.) The Tulsa trip is for work, but I'll schedule some Smoky Mountain stuff on the way.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM
TennesseeGene
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not often post but maybe someone will get enjoyment from this little tidbit. I only get to ride a few days a year as I live and work abroad. I always time my vacation time during warm weather as I have to get my bike out of storage in OH and it has a small comfortable riding season. I am planning on taking my cousins daughter to LA this August for her graduation present. She loves this European band called One Direction, and so we will ride through Roswell NM, a place I have wanted to see for a while. I plan to then hit LA for her concert and a little tourism. Then I will ride through Vegas for a couple days and see Hoover Damm and the Grand canyon and some shows. Then wew will ride through Calorado and basically take a completely different route home to OH. This will be my first 2 up long trip as well as my first cross country voyage so any reccommended hot spots along the way or tips on how to pack the most gear is appreciated...plus maybe things I have not thought to pack for such a long trip...

Nice thread it is cool to read about other's trips and get ideas for my next one.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
I'm going to Bike Week in Daytona (from Savannah.) I'll also be going to Tulsa from Savannah (probably in May.) The Tulsa trip is for work, but I'll schedule some Smoky Mountain stuff on the way.
Great riding out that way. If you can work in some of riding in Arkansas. Roads like the Pig Trail and Scenic 7.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't expect much from Roswell, NM and you won't be disappointed. Pig trail in Arkansas was a good run.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TennesseeGene
I do not often post but maybe someone will get enjoyment from this little tidbit.........

This will be my first 2 up long trip as well as my first cross country voyage so any reccommended hot spots along the way or tips on how to pack the most gear is appreciated...plus maybe things I have not thought to pack for such a long trip.......

Nice thread it is cool to read about other's trips and get ideas for my next one.

Thanks
Hey Gene... Awesome that you're checking-in with us here. Please stay in touch. We have quite a few riders in this crew that travel all-the-heck-over our great nation.

Once you and your relative pack for your trip, take five minutes and put half of what you both packed back in the house. This is mindset you'll have to have. Seriously.

One of our guys, Eddie (JaxHarleyRider), had a WONDERFUL suggestion for our trip to Sturgis in 2010. We packed for camping, three guys, each with our own tents and assorted stuff. Eddie suggested, that to save room, that we take our oldest socks, undies, and even T-shirts, that we would throw-out at the end of each day. When our stock was low, we'd buy new stuff. This gave us room for do-dads we bought along the way, and removed the need to find laundromats and waste time watching clothes go round and round. This worked out perfect!!!! (everybody has a stack of old stuff in their possession, LOL).

You might be under-packed, or under-dressed for Vegas shows; I wouldn't give myself the packing space needed for a one-time-use at events such as that. You'll be totally screwed if your gal needs her hair dryer and all the paraphernalia of matching shoes with the outfits.

A cross-country trip will not be enjoyable (or possibly not even possible) wearing a backpack. Back pain with many states to go is not the time to find out how uncomfortable wearing one for a thousand miles really is. Plus they are hot (against you) after a while.

Folks will jump at the recommendation that you ship clothes out in front of you, or ship dirty clothes home. Prepare for that budget, prepare to have to hunt for the UPS Store that you sent stuff to, and realize the time-killing that will occur when you have to deal with store hours and your travel plans.

Your trip and activities sound awesome, if you can get over the "packing hurdle", the rest will be fun. LOL

Finally (for this post anyway), remove all concept of deadlines or hard schedules. Folks get in trouble when they feel they have to make up time (because you stopped for a thunderstorm), start feeling rushed because you're hungry, or need a bio-break, etc. There WILL be traffic issues, no matter what, somewhere along the way; quick example.

I think we'll get a lot of "travelers" giving additional advice.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to and "need" to go on another long trip whenever I can, but until I have a better handle on what will be going on "employment" wise and with school next year I cannot commit to anything. I will be watching this thread though. I still have not done Sturgis, but I would really like to do the Road Glide get together in Utah next year. We will see what happens.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
Hey Gene... Awesome that you're checking-in with us here. Please stay in touch. We have quite a few riders in this crew that travel all-the-heck-over our great nation.

Finally (for this post anyway), remove all concept of deadlines or hard schedules. Folks get in trouble when they feel they have to make up time (because you stopped for a thunderstorm), start feeling rushed because you're hungry, or need a bio-break, etc. There WILL be traffic issues, no matter what, somewhere along the way; quick example.

I think we'll get a lot of "travelers" giving additional advice.

Good words

Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Gator
Great riding out that way. If you can work in some of riding in Arkansas. Roads like the Pig Trail and Scenic 7.
Yeah, I've been all over Arkansas. A lot of great roads. I grew up in Oklahoma. The Kiamichi mountain area on the Ar/Ok border is really good too.

Quick Reply: So who's tripping in 2013?