"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Living in Florida, Orlando area (Apopka)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Living in Florida, Orlando area (Apopka)?

Hey group. I'm looking for some 1st hand info, so what better place than a Florida sub-forum, eh?

OK... Right now I live in Cleveland, Ohio. I've visited Orlando a couple times, but didn't travel far from the *tourist spots*. I've lived all around the Texas Panhandle (About 7 years), Los Angeles (About 2 years), and Carlsbad New Mexico (About 2 years) in the past.

I'm getting sick of the health care industry in the Cleveland area, along with the winters as I grow older. Right now I *like* winter, opposed to just 5 years ago I LOVED winter. So, I figure in a couple more years I'll hate it!

Anyway, on to the real dilemma... I have an opportunity to buy into a business with my Bro. This could come anywhere for 1 month, to 6 months+.

No kids, recently single, but seeing someone now. (Not sure, and would not matter if she came or not.) So, being *single* I'm back into a rental house, so no ties there. No major ties actually.

If I decide to make the move and invest in the business, I'll be pretty much broke as far as cash on hand goes. (Probably 5-7K in cash after all is said-and-done.)

I'll be living with my Bro until the business allows me to get my own place. Or 6 months, whichever comes first. At the beginning it will be very tough. (He has a *separate* place for me to live, so I won't be in the same area as he and his wife.)

My biggest concern at this point is, when I go there is no coming back. I'll be too broke to come back to Ohio even if I wanted to.

If the business fails, what is the job situation like in Fla.? How much would I need to make to live in that area? To start, a decent crib. Not have to sell my bike. Pay cable (Yeah, I GOTTA have that.), gas/electric, phone.

Just live comfortable, not in elegance!

If you're still reading this, Thanks! Hope to hear some input from those in the know.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
StreetGeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following this and hoping for some info. My OL is pushing me to move us to the Tampa/Brandon area and I'd like to get some straight scoop on life in FL too.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
confused
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to inform you but yeah you can ride year round, but if you watch the news we have some loony people here.
I have lived here for all my 49 years and I would love to move away.
Not the great Sunshine State it once was.

Oh yeah they just honored Apopka with the highest crime rate in central FL
The area I grew up, that had zero crime, just had two kids shot execution style, bound and then burned on a bike trail

I wouldn't be in any hurry to get down here

Last edited by confused; 05-09-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

If you are in the Healthcare industry, you will be coming to God's waiting room so there should be steady work, dying is one of our best economic indicators. The economy in SoFla is very tough right now and good jobs are scarce, tax burden here is very good compared to most states. The state is a great place to live, people are great, laws and lawmen are cool and advocate a slight libertarian bent. I love this state and will have a place here for the rest of my life. I also lived in Texas twice, west Texas, similar atmosphere but more old people. In the aggregate we have the hottest and coolest chicks in the country, some Glen Close types but you can spot them quickly. Only bad thing here is no mountain roads and the odd hurricane, but you will only be a lunch ride from Georgia and great riding so no biggie and you get used to hurricanes.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Seems like 50% of most business ventures fail.
The economy is in a **** poor situation.
5-7K cash on hand is light if things go sour or the business needs some quick cash to float.
Medical insurance coverage is important and COBRA coverage is expensive.
A simple health issue could wipe-out 7k in a sneeze.
Living with a married couple and working with them..even with a separate entrance could cause some distress.
Being friends with a "Bro" and working together are two different things.
The job situation is tight in most areas of the country and sometimes having one is kinda of a luxury.
Just some things to consider.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
tourglider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last state that still allows slave labor. Not only allows it but encourages it. I work in the public sector and haven't had a raise in 4 years now. They say I am lucky to have a job and all that crap.
Everything has a trade off, I am originally from the Toledo OH area. Great gateway to so many good rides for the 4 months you can actually ride. Here you can ride all year, but don't expect union wages or anything close to it. Southern Ohio has nice hilly rides when not under snow, southern Florida has Key West! All depends what matter most to you at the time. Orlando area is particularly crazy with tourists that dont see you because they are busy reading the map, but if ya ride like everyone is out to get you, because they are, its not a big deal. Rental prices are pretty comparable for apartments, but houses can be a little higher. As far as cable goes, I have Fios, I get phone internet and expanded basic cable for $125 a month including taxes and fees. Expect your power bill to be a little higher, ya gotta run the air more. I say go for it and have a adventure!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

If you can stay out of the major population areas it is a great place to live. North central or panhandle.Orlando is like north Miami and Jacksonville is little Harlem.Working in a trade that has union scale wages is the way to go. Don't have to join one just be where they have had some in put.Bigger electric bill in the summer not winter. Good time to buy a home now. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

P.S. been here 57 years.Also one in Colorado , Japan and Carolinian's. Its getting crowded down south.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep....two kids got shot and then set on fire in Apopka. Note to self: Stay away from drug dealers.
Electric bill higher in summer....(gas bill lower)....put what you save on gas put towards electric and it evens out...or if you are all electric, put the savings in the winter towards the summer. Some call it 'a budget'. There is good and bad everywhere.
I live near Daytona. Not the best place in the world, and I have never been to Cleveland.
Yes, it is hot here in the summer. Yes it is humid. Winters (central florida) last up to four weeks (not in a row). I judge winters by how many times my bird bath gets icey. Once, this year. Florida is not ALL Mickey Mouse and Key West (We also have Lego Land NOW!!!!!!)
Florida is not for everyone...sometimes it sucks. But I have lived in Washington DC, Western Texas and grew up in NY State. So, welcome.

Chuck

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,223 Posts

First thing you should do is lose the Urban Meyer quote. Orlando is Gator country, unfortunately. It's like dissing Bob Feller. Hey, doesn't bother ME, I'm an FSU fan, just saying...

Quick Reply: Living in Florida, Orlando area (Apopka)?