"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Living in Florida, Orlando area (Apopka)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by DravenGSX
I don't recommend Apopka, but there are plenty of nice areas in Central Florida, not far from Apopka depending on what you are looking for.

Since you didn't say what your profession or skillsets are, it's tough to tell you what the going rate for employment is here should your business not work out. It depends on what you do. Rent for an apartment or house should be ~$900+ in a decent area. The rest of the costs are pretty much the same as other places, I imagine save for the income tax.

Central Florida definitely has its perks. There's a ton to do. The weather is great and it's generally a great place to live.
Central Florida is the seventh level of hell. It's nothing but millions of tourists hell-bent for Disney World with their snot-nosed kids hanging out the windows, clogging the roads and cheap restaurants. It's nothing but fast food joints and friggin' toll roads every five seconds. There are thugs on every corner and criminals lurking everywhere waiting to break into your car or house.

Central Florida is unlivable in the summers. I've been everywhere in the summer and I can say unequivocally Florida is the worst. It's hot, clammy, sticky and you'll end up wanting to kill your neighbor. You wake up sweating, literally. At least on the coasts, you have ocean or Gulf breezes to modify the insane heat and wetness. Central Florida is still as death.

Riding is relentlessly and ruthlessly BORING, unless you like ungodly traffic, strip malls and endless stretches of flat, feature-less roads. That is, if you even FEEL like riding in the summer. You won't because it's so hot and miserable. If you leave your bike in the sun for only a few minutes your *** will feel a pipe bomb exploded.

Do yourself a favor, stay in Arizona. I tell you this because you are a fellow human being and there is enough suffering in the world.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

tmac, you have your threads mixed up. This guy lives in Cleveland...I would think that anywhere would be an improvement.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Central Florida is the seventh level of hell. It's nothing but millions of tourists hell-bent for Disney World with their snot-nosed kids hanging out the windows, clogging the roads and cheap restaurants. It's nothing but fast food joints and friggin' toll roads every five seconds. There are thugs on every corner and criminals lurking everywhere waiting to break into your car or house.

Central Florida is unlivable in the summers. I've been everywhere in the summer and I can say unequivocally Florida is the worst. It's hot, clammy, sticky and you'll end up wanting to kill your neighbor. You wake up sweating, literally. At least on the coasts, you have ocean or Gulf breezes to modify the insane heat and wetness. Central Florida is still as death.

Riding is relentlessly and ruthlessly BORING, unless you like ungodly traffic, strip malls and endless stretches of flat, feature-less roads. That is, if you even FEEL like riding in the summer. You won't because it's so hot and miserable. If you leave your bike in the sun for only a few minutes your *** will feel a pipe bomb exploded.

Do yourself a favor, stay in Arizona. I tell you this because you are a fellow human being and there is enough suffering in the world.
Don't be shy. Tell us how you really feel.

This from a fellow that lives in the Big Bend Area of Florida that is described as

Florida’s Big Bend Scenic Byway where theme parks and bright lights give way to horizons of towering pines and blue-green Gulf waters. The “Bend” is where Florida’s Gulf Coast curves westward, sheltering vast seagrass beds, marshes, winding rivers, sugar-sand beaches, deep forests, and crystal-clear springs. The unparalleled natural bounty and beauty of the Bend have attracted visitors since 15,000 BC. While traveling on the Byway, visitors can explore the natural resources which have supported and sustained the lives and the livelihoods of generations past and present.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just Dave
tmac, you have your threads mixed up. This guy lives in Cleveland...I would think that anywhere would be an improvement.
The mistake by the Lake.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

Don't move to Florida what ever you do! We have 340 plus riding days, the best looking girls in the world (with the sweetest accent) the beaches smell like coconut and women mixed, the biggest rally's, cold springs to swim in in the summer, the best seafood you will ever eat and the list goes on and on. By pass Florida and move to Texas or something.

Just kidding come on down. Welcome.

Last edited by bikenut1957; 05-23-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cannot believe none of the central florida guys chimed in with the BEST reason for moving to the Orlando area

you will be near 1 or all 3 of the 4 Rivers Smokehouse BBQ joints.

THE BEST BBQ OUTSIDE OF OKLAHOMA JOE'S in KC
http://4rsmokehouse.com/

anyways - here are the pros

ride year round
no state income tax
avg cost of living
nice looking women
many good restaurants
lots of good people
you get to arm yourself and carry it almost everywhere
2 really good bike rallys and 1 decent one every year in your backyard practically and almost every vendor in the MC world shows up

here are the cons
IT"S ALWAYS HOT!(good news, you get use to it eventually, or you buy the cool packs for that HD Jacket you wear, yes those are the BIG pouches in the back)
there is crime - but you live in Cleavland so it isn't any worse then that
right to work state so if the business doesn't work, you may find wages are well below what you are used to seeing
IT"S HOT
not sure what your skill set is in the medical field, but if you are not an RN you will not make much and you will be working with a lot of minorities, if you are an RN, you have your choice of jobs
IT"S HOT
aside from our BIG rallys - NO ONE IS WATCHING FOR CYCLES (except for fellow riders)
you will spend more on your bike down here, cause you will ride it more
oh and IT"S HOT
tons of minorities in Otown so you may need to speak spanish or creole to get directions at some point
Hurricanes SUCK BIG TIME, but you get like a weeks notice to prepare and/or leave

other great points about FL

you can take a really nice ride to the Keys and forget that anything else in your life is going on

you can take a really nice ride to Fort Meyers and forget that anything else in your life is going on

you can take a really nice ride to Cedar Key and forget that anything else in your life is going on

you can take a really nice ride to the Panhandle and forget that anything else in your life is going on

just a few pointers

and as others have mentioned, get an independent evaluation of the business from an accountant

Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333

If it is that is how your experience living here is my advice would be to get the hell out in a hurry, don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. If I thought it sucked that badly I know I would.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
If it is that is how your experience living here is my advice would be to get the hell out in a hurry, don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. If I thought it sucked that badly I know I would.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM
DravenGSX
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's not that bad. It's far better than most places I have been and i would recommend it.. just not Apopka.

Oh, and comparing 4Rs to just about any bbq joint in KC is crazy. At least you nailed it with Oklahoma Joe's.. but there's about a dozen others that put 4Rs to shame. Seriously, Burnt Ends? I don't think so.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DravenGSX
Yeah, it's not that bad. It's far better than most places I have been and i would recommend it.. just not Apopka.

Oh, and comparing 4Rs to just about any bbq joint in KC is crazy. At least you nailed it with Oklahoma Joe's.. but there's about a dozen others that put 4Rs to shame. Seriously, Burnt Ends? I don't think so.

I know I tried a few before Oklahoma Joe's and once I found OJ's there was nothing else, and each and every time back that is the only joint I want to go to

In fact I order their BBQ sauce online and have it shipped to my house so that I can get a fix in all year when I am not traveling out there.

Quick Reply: Living in Florida, Orlando area (Apopka)?